Led desk lamps

Mad4kits2

LED desk lamps very between the diabolically bad and the very best.

The cheap ones trend to use cheap LEDs which have a poor CRI - Colour Rendering (or Rendition) Index. These simulate white light by outputting light that averages as white. The result is that it can be (for example) difficult or impossible to distinguish between different shades of a colour. Appalling CRI IS 0, perfect is 100. Standard daylight is pretty much 100.

The more expensive lights use LEDs with a higher CRI - I'd look for 90 at least. These mean that the colours you see under the lamp will be very close to those you'd see under a perfect light.

Here's a pretty useful Wikipedia article about CRI.

If a lamp's CRI isn't specified, it generally means it's pretty low, so best avoided.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My workspace is pretty dingy, even though it's right next to a window (wales, eh?), so I run an anglepoise lamp with a 'daylight' rated high cri bulb AND a cheap while light LED when needed. It works reasonably well for me. 

On 12/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, cger said:

I recently bought this model https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00OZO16K0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1,

I am very happy with it,

Christian.

I have 2 of those. One over my build area and the other over my spray booth. Great bits of kit and throw out a nice bright even light.

Regards,

Steve