Colour of this rudder of Me 262

Didier Leroux

Might it be possible that this rudder has been left in red primer? Please see the page below from The Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft

I can't recall if the rudder of the 262 was wood or metal? I recall a thread here on BM where this reddish colour was evident beneath the camo paint on a Bf109 wartime relic airframe part.

SD

IMG_2804[1]

Late in the war tail sub-assemblies were manufactured separately, this one appears to be in the factory delivery 

scheme of 76 fin and red-brown primer rudder. This is one of many intriguing schemes seen on 262 relics.

Wulfman

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Antti_K said:

The rudder looks darker than light blue or aluminium. The fin could have been white for example...

Cheers,

Antti

My bad, I was thinking the tail fin, not the rudder. Yes, white can also be a possibility for the fin. The rudder is harder to interpretation, thought the fuselage squiggles are also painted, barely discernible on the lower part of it, just aft the ammunition. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Rest of the photos here but no further info... http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/06/me-262-kgj54.html

Judging from those pics, esp.

436589.jpg

the squiggle/mottle scheme continues from the fuselage onto the (not replaced) rudder.

The vertical stabilizer might be a replacement part in bare metal (except for the swastika).

Put a pistol to my head to read a guess regarding the colors?

RLM 76 "all over" followed by

"mottle" in the bright green variation (lightly sprayed) of "that late war German dark green" (some call it RLM 82),

and "squiggly" lines in the really dark green variation of "that late war German dark green" (some call it RLM 83).

Vertical stabilizer in unpainted, slightly oxidized aluminum (like Hans Fay's 711).

I'm taking my inspiration from Me 262 A-1a/U3 (WNr 170111) like seen here: https://www.avions-bateaux.com/uploads/attachment/produit//produit_3187_2eb1a1502929a553cec1f5be2ba22260.pdf

40 years ago the "mottle" would have been RLM 02 (or RLM 75) and the lines Schwarzgrün RLM 70.

Late war 76 was almost white with a blueish tinge.(amongst other variations).

The dark squiggles could be RLM81 Braunviolett or Olivbraun. Or RLM83 Dunkelgrun.

The lighter patches could be RLM82 Hellgrun or RLM 75 Mittelgrau, who knows?

Your guess is as good as anybodies. Hope this is useful.

Wulfman