1/350 Scale HMS Eskimo

Papa4ways

Hi there,

I wonder if I might ask for some help, I have a slight problem in that I'm colour blind, I've built quite a few kits, most of them give an actual colour code in the plans, or there's an option to add a wooden deck, which I usually add, only there's a problem building the 1/350 scale HMS Eskimo by Trumpeter, the problem being, the plans don't give a deck colour code, all the plans offer is paint "Deck Blue", can I ask, what is the actual colour code for this Deck Blue, any help is appreciated

Hi,

Is this Trumpeter's HMS Eskimo? If so you can safely post the paint guide into the recycling bin. Colours like "Deck Blue" did exist, but in the US Navy. The Royal Navy used no such thing. You can safely use a fairly neutral dark grey and the onus will be on others to prove it incorrect.

• Like 3

Hi if it cheers you up 

Artwox provide a 1/350 wood deck for the ships bridge  ( and anchor chain ) for this ship -

main advice I can say is that I would not take the paint trumpeter instructions 

as gospel - Home Fleet dark grey would be more accurate

also be aware - 
The 4 key points that must be addressed with this Tribal are fourfold. Firstly, the bow shape is completely wrong. Trumpeter have the deck flat at the bow, when there should be a noticeable upward sweep. This is not as hard to correct as you may think at first, although it is still not for the fainthearted. Secondly, the "pom pom"  AA gun is represented in this kit as an eight gun mount - totally wrong, should be only four. Thirdly, the deck boats are all wrong in the kit, they appear to be German boats. And finally, the kit propellers are four bladed and they should be three.

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 73north said:

Hi if it cheers you up 

Artwox provide a 1/350 wood deck for the ships bridge  ( and anchor chain ) for this ship -

main advice I can say is that I would not take the paint trumpeter instructions 

as gospel - Home Fleet dark grey would be more accurate

also be aware - 
The 4 key points that must be addressed with this Tribal are fourfold. Firstly, the bow shape is completely wrong. Trumpeter have the deck flat at the bow, when there should be a noticeable upward sweep. This is not as hard to correct as you may think at first, although it is still not for the fainthearted. Secondly, the "pom pom"  AA gun is represented in this kit as an eight gun mount - totally wrong, should be only four. Thirdly, the deck boats are all wrong in the kit, they appear to be German boats. And finally, the kit propellers are four bladed and they should be three.

I do have some spares from other kits that I can use on this kit, like the Pom Pom and some of the ships boats, I've even got some of the correct props I can use, but from what you're saying, the colour scheme Trumpeter have on this particular kit, I think it could be for the Chinese market, as the box is covered in Chinese writing, but now you've assured me about the colour, which I'm grateful for, I can get on building, again, Many Thanks

• Thanks 1