Operation Dynamo 80th Anniversary

wamwig

Hi Everyone

My first foray into building a diorama on Britmodeller, in fact my first building anything on Britmodeller!!

This year (2019) I won the 144 Diorama competition at the Model Bus Federation National Show with a dio called Passchendaele.  The rules of the competition are quite simple it has to be 144 sq inches (though not necessarily 12x12) and it has to contain at least one 'bus', so my entry this year involved an 'Ole Bill' bus (the 1/72 Roden kit) on a muddy road picking up some weary British soldiers and I used several photos to create little vignettes within the overall scene.

Anyway I had so much fun doing it I thought I'd do a few more of which the first would be an entry for the 2020 competition (next October) which would be based around a scene from Operation Dynamo (the Dunkirk evacuation), it being the 80th anniversary in 2020.  My initial thoughts are for one of the little ships returning to a UK port with soldiers on board, with more on the quayside having already arrived, with a waiting bus and a couple of other vehicles. 

Operation Dynamo also has a personal history for me as my maternal grandmother's brother was with the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment and was one of the last away from the beaches, having to swim out to a boat.  They had spent the previous couple of weeks on a fighting retreat from around Zavantem.

At the moment I have an idea, a couple of vehicles and a Wilko 12x12 black picture frame, hopefully it will all start to come together soon!

Anthony

Thanks, I know, but I'm looking forward to it!

It will be 1/72 scale with a KeilKraft Green Line coach (demoted to bus work just before WW2), an ACE Austin Forlite 'staff' car (although it might be a civilian one) and a Military Wheels Gaz AA, masquerading as a Ford AA.  They, along with the many figures (from at least 12 different manufacturers so far). are the easy bit!