This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Berto

Spitfire Mk I early 1/72 Tamiya

Hi Guys,

My recent model. It is 1/72 Tamiya kit with propeller and decals from Airfix.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That’s just lovely Berto, very well modelled.

Cheers.. Dave

Really nice early Spitfire, great job

Whoo, boy- that's a beautiful Mk 1! As the others have commented, that's a very attractive scheme. Not meaning to re-ignite the conflaguration, but that Tamiya kit looks pretty darned good to me, and the colors look spot-on. What paint did you use, if I may ask?

Mike

@Graham Boak- just curious; would the wheel bay on the wing painted in night also be the same color? I know the part of the bay in which the strut lies would be aluminum, but what about the rest?

Great and it'll be even better when you add the roundel to the other wing! What a basic mistake......

Only joking, I know the story. I've actually thought of modelling it and it's sister Spitfire which had the roundel on the starboard wing. 

That would very confusing for the uninitiated.

Very nice build! The paintjob is amazing. 

Just one minor comment on accuracy here, your canopy I believe to be wrong for an early Mk.i, they were flatter and had a different front piece. 

13 hours ago, noelh said:

Great and it'll be even better when you add the roundel to the other wing! What a basic mistake......

Only joking, I know the story. I've actually thought of modelling it and it's sister Spitfire which had the roundel on the starboard wing. 

That would very confusing for the uninitiated.

What's the story? 

That is very nice.

One question - did we get Spitfires fitted with two blade props and bulged canopies at the same time? 

Not the fully bulged cockpit which came later, but the one with the raised top was retrofitted to any early Spitfire (I believe).  Not sure when it was introduced, and suspect (but don't know) not this early.

I have a photo of 19 Squadron Spitfire mk1s, with 2-bladed props and both flat and curved canopies in evidence in

the line up. The date of the photo is said to be 4/5/39.

Wulfman

7 hours ago, jhutchi said:

What's the story? 

There is a well known series of photos of 19 Squadron taken on a press day in May 1939. While most have both upper wing roundels, some have only one and at least one has none at all. WZ-T had only one.

On 12/8/2019 at 6:51 PM, noelh said:

Only joking, I know the story

What is the story?

and ... Very nice Spitfire! :goodjob:

What they all said about wheel well colours (should, I think, match the under wing on each side) and canopy shapes (should, I think, be the very early not-at-all bulged type) but, BUT what a super build and a stunning finish. The more I look, the more I find things to like. May I ask, why build the 1/72 Tamiya kit rather than the Airfix version from which you took the propeller and decals? Was it the flash suppressors on the guns, the option to do an open canopy and finer panel lines (I've never built this kit)?

That's beautiful, a work of art

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

What is the story?

and ... Very nice Spitfire! :goodjob:

Check out the post immediately above yours. ^