Monogram 1/72 Convair B-36. It's just plain big

hsr

3 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

These are so big they are hard to photograph.

I could of used a wide angle lens and gotten closer, but that would have distorted the shape.

Thanks

Huh, I love this monster. The most impressive bomber of all times. Left over from WWII and dressed up for the cold war it tried to meet a crumbling strategic doctrine.

This is another great model of yours - you like the big b...irds, right?

• Thanks 1

Such an immense plane, and youve done a lovely job representing it! 

I was doing some test-fitting of an old frog Mosquito kit last night, and im pretty sure that the B-36 tail is probably taller than the total wingspan of this WW2 medium bomber! 

A bit of googling shows B-36 tail height as 49ft, and Mozzy wingspan as 51 -  so, pretty close!

Did you build this up as one of the weight lightened ones, as aside from the tail turret i cant see any of the remote barbettes? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

you like the big b...irds, right?

6 hours ago, ivan-o said:

You do tend to like them big planes though don’t you?

Not really, although my last 2 postings (and I have the Modelcollect B-52 coming up) might give that impression. I'm just not afraid to tackle one if it fits into my collection.

5 hours ago, IanC said:

'Megafortress' or similar!

Yes, but Boeing had a lock on "fortress"

Thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Did you build this up as one of the weight lightened ones, as aside from the tail turret i cant see any of the remote barbettes?

No. It has the nose gun and all the sighting blisters. I think I read in the Detail & Scale volume that the Monogram kit does not represent any specific version, but is a collection of different version features. I build it OOB

Thanks

6 minutes ago, AMB said:

Presume you still have to apply its tail serial number? 

Hmm. I built this at least 10 years ago. I dob't know why the serial number didn't make it to the tail. 

13 minutes ago, hsr said:

No. It has the nose gun and all the sighting bubbles. I think I read in the Detail & Scale volume that the Monogram kit does not represent any specific version, but is a collection of different version features. I build it OOB

Thanks

I will have to check, but i believe that the 20mm cannon barbettes on the B-36 were 'Pop Up' -  and would only be deployed when needed, which might make sense why i cant see them on your model in wheels down config.

I have found just this one picture that shows the turrets just aft of one of the observation bubbles.  You can see the panel lines representing the position of this 'hatch' on your model.

008b-36.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very impressive. Looks great. Kit decals?

I have this kit and some nice old Microscale decals, should really get round to making it, but nowhere to put it :rolleyes: 

I have been eyeing up the Pavla upgrade sets, which provide for the retractable barbettes, I think they would look pretty cool. They are listed at Hannants:

http://hannants.co.uk/product/PAVU72156?result-token=VECxz

One of my favourite films, Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart features lots of great colour footage of SAC B-36's. Always worth a watch.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Looks great. Kit decals?

I think so but I also had the Microscale sheet so it might be a combination.

7 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I have been eyeing up the Pavla upgrade sets, which provide for the retractable barbettes, I think they would look pretty cool. They are listed at Hannants:

That's nice and would be cool to add

8 minutes ago, Smudge said:

One of my favourite films, Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart features lots of great colour footage of SAC B-36's.

Also B-47's. Have it on DVD :)

Thanks

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mark Joyce said:

There's just no place in the house for the beast!

Being single I have great latitude for placing models. Right now it is on a stereo cabinet in my "library"

QCLDk6B1_o.jpg I am working on some shelving in my model room (museum) for it and the B-52's

Thanks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hsr said:

Being single I have great latitude for placing models. Right now it is on a stereo cabinet in my "library"

resized_bc308583-70b2-4309-9cd5-5401645abu I am working on some shelving in my model room (museum) for it and the B-52's

Thanks

I think i would rapidly become single if i had a build of that size in the living room, the current Mrs Jockney would not be amused ! 

Outstanding job, given its age and history it has survived in remarkable condition.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1