Wingnut Wings AMC DH2 1/32

Hi everyone, just finished this and thought I'd post a few pics.

Had a lot of satisfaction while building this, it seemed to go well and I seemed to fly through it in a month or so which is super fast for me.

I am in awe of the men who actually flew these things. As I was making it i was struck by the fragility of what the real thing must have been like. Surely one dodgy landing and the plane would crumple. This is the plane that Lanoe Hawker was killed in after a dogfight with the Red Baron. The blurb with the kit says Richthofen described his duel with Hawker as "the most difficult battle I have had" after expending 900 rounds of ammunition.

As the pics show there is a lot of rigging with this kit, I had to have a lie down after each session :)

If I had one small criticism of Wingnut Wings its that I do sometimes find the rigging diagrams a bit confusing, I know that's a bit like trying to find fault in Margot Robbie but I do wish they were a bit clearer on the intricate sections of rigging.

Im still brush painting and I seem to have reached a plateau of how good I can make things look. I can never decide whether to take the plunge into getting an airbrush. Overall I am happy with it though, which is the main thing. What a very therapeutic hobby this wonderful pastime is.

As usual I think I have struggled with the pics but I would love to hear any comments about what you guys think, good or bad. I'm now at my usual dilemma of trying to decide what to make next.

Many thanks and best wishes to all for the new year, Martin

20191207_213219

20191207_212536

20191207_213101

20191207_212451 20191207_212907 20191207_212731 20191207_212839 20191207_212622 20191207_212926 20191207_212637 20191207_212554 20191207_212654 20191207_212955 20191207_212849 20191207_212757 20191207_212610 20191207_212714 20191207_213015

• Like 34

What a wonderful model! Great craftmanship with the detail and colours and with the rigging. The finish has a nice shimmer, too.

Just stay with brush-painting - you‘ve got as good a result as you can ever get. For me, an airbrush has two disadvantages; you tend to over-weather and you spend most of your modelling time with masking and cleaning.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

I’m impressed!

What did you use for the rigging?

- Bill

Hi Bill. Thank you, the rigging is a simple roll of knitting-in elastic. It seems that you can stretch it for ever. So if a bit goes wrong you can snip the end off and carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Toryu said:

What a wonderful model! Great craftmanship with the detail and colours and with the rigging. The finish has a nice shimmer, too.

Just stay with brush-painting - you‘ve got as good a result as you can ever get. For me, an airbrush has two disadvantages; you tend to over-weather and you spend most of your modelling time with masking and cleaning.

Cheers, Michael

Thank you Michael. 

It gives me a lift to read some nice comments, its appreciated.

Cheers for the advice about air brushing as well. My main gripe with air brushing would be the cleaning and hadn't really thought about the masking as well. 

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin, great model and your brush work is excellent, I mix painting between airbrush and brush, the airbrush is definitely superior for coverage and finish and is not too much of a pain to use or clean, brush get used for small areas and details to avoid to much masking! Perhaps when the weather is ok try some outside photos as you will lose those shadows which perhaps confuse the viewer, again congratulations on such a nice build.

• Like 1

Beautiful!

Go ahead and take the leap with the airbrush, but don't get a cheap one or it'll put you off. Get one of the well known and established brands, and a good compressor!

I used an Aztec at first and got so frustrated with it I almost gave up. Then I bought an Iwata and saw the light! I'm sure there are even better ones, but that is fine for starting and is easy to use/clean.

Ian

• Like 2

Oh wow what a beautiful model. I am a fellow brush painter too, you have done a cracking job there.  I have this in the stash as well and slightly concerned about the amount of rigging , but will start it one day, when the mancave is done.

Great work and a great result.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow what a beautiful model. I am a fellow brush painter too, you have done a cracking job there.  I have this in the stash as well and slightly concerned about the amount of rigging , but will start it one day, when the mancave is done.

Great work and a great result.

All the best

Chris

Thank you my friend. I'm sure you will nail it when it comes to the rigging. I feel like you have to get into a sort of zone to do it, (including understanding the instructions) then it just kind of works. The first wingnut kit I bought was the FE.2b but when I looked at the rigging instructions I just put the box back in the cupboard - it's still there. 

All the best to you too, Martin 

• Like 1