3 eduard mustangs #####finished#####

Dansk

16 hours ago, Ratch said:

Did you know you can quote by just highlighting the chosen words 

Wow Ratch that’s brilliant, always wondered how this was done! Thank you!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Does the tailwheel leg have some contact side-to-side, or is it only at the top that it touches?

Theres a spot of superglue behind the leg where it leaves the fuselage so theres support there but nothing laterally it didn’t really need it.

22 hours ago, Toryu said:

Very nice production line that you've got there. I would be happy if I progressed with my one build without trouble, but three of them...? With my restoration project alongside I at least deal with 3 different kits at three different stages, so can park them for a while. Looking forward to your result(s).

Happy New Year soon!

Thanks Michael, threes a bit tough, looking forward to concentrate on just one again in the scandi GB after these builds

19 hours ago, Joss said:

Looks great Dansk. Looks like it's sorted the problem.

A little progress on mine but havent had time to document.

Seem to have even less time to model when im not working!

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

All the best

Joss

Thanks Joss, looking forward to see yours 👍

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Your seam sanding and fettling look spot on paul 👍, i find that a bit laborious to do myself,

Thanks, Its the bit I enjoy least. Always dying to get on to the fun paint stage 🤗

• Like 3

I have been struggling with filling and sanding and re-engraving three aircraft.

I find it difficult enough with my wishes being a much higher standard than my ‘skills’ allow but after spending eons sanding and filling everywhere necessary on the fuselages, i found that with the exception on one, the mid fuselage needed to be slightly prized apart to meet the wing roots when attaching the wings thus fracturing the seams i spent so long on. 

This is because in realty it best not to glue the forward floor of the cockpit in place so as to make the fuselage malleable there. The locating points for the cockpit floor are also a imprecise.

So to cut a long story short: Doing three simultaneously is quite taxing with planning priming and paint breakdowns and also with varying parts for the different aircraft you really have to keep an eye on things starts becoming less ‘fun’ and more a ‘production process’.

I think progressing with one and taking it quite far to completion then backtracking and doing the others is the best way. My last rounds of doing all three at once just triplicates problems rather than solving them on guinea pig #1.

Heres a few latter progress shots of 2 aircraft.

Gotta say when the fuselage width is where it should be the gap with the wing root can be beautiful. 

The forward upper and lower wing surfaces were lightly PP’d so we should see them but they’ll be reduced like @Toryu’s putty-losing weathered mustang references. The easy bit: filling and cleaning with away excess with water.

49335693891_3de1e410c0_b.jpg

49335693881_37c37a0c37_b.jpg

49335908762_e1567bd24c_b.jpg

49335229478_c9610a842e_b.jpg

49335229503_cf66eab184_b.jpg

49335229418_a50554f193_b.jpg

Glazing has all been masked and forward parts installed and a few other bits.
IP is installed on all. Rear wings and elevators installed on two planes.
And some spinners and props are in progress.

49336147122_689c35347d_b.jpg

Here’s an example of the best sand and fit which worked very smoothly 

And the worst muth&$@$*ker where i sanded to infinity then had to build up the ramp to the glazing. Thats never gonna be the best one - a bit of a near disaster.

49335863211_ac91705727_b.jpg

Ps that upper shot canopy does line up now, I was just giving it a very light bit of pressure as it was wider than the fuselage there to help it ease and sit nicely when coming back to it.

I will continue with ‘cripes almighty 3rd‘ scheme on the filletless aircraft and then backtrack to do the others. Thats ready for priming this evening.

Sorry for the text heavy waffle!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cripes almighty 3rd has a black base coat on... now we’re getting onto the really fun stuff.

(Excuse the starfighter i have no where to put finished models so its sat in my photobox)

And the canopy is a spare just to cover the cockpit while painting.

49340868023_1c9cdac65c_h.jpg

The very lightly semi puttied laminar flow wings can be seen in different degrees from different angles/lighting

maybe i went too light on it them. 

49340962973_e520773fd4_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Thanks chaps!
The blue nose is masked on cripes a’mighty and she’s now got all her white bits.

it’s a bit counter-intuitive to paint the invasion stripes before the Airframe colour, but i struggled on a couple of previous builds masking over the BMF as its quite fragile even with coats of gloss / future to protect it. So i’ll lay down those last.

The white didn’t really need masking on the fuselage i just used it as a guide really.

49363895221_43b0de6d9a_k.jpg

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Dansk said:

it’s a bit counter-intuitive to paint the invasion stripes before the Airframe colour, but i struggled on a couple of previous builds masking over the BMF as its quite fragile even with coats of gloss / future to protect it. So i’ll lay down those last.

Thats how i always do it way easier to do the stripes and mask them. I find it also works great if you're painting over the stripes on the topside surfaces. Its easier to spray a light coat of green over them, rather than trying to do a light dusting of black & white. 

Dennis

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats how i always do it way easier to do the stripes and mask them. I find it also works great if you're painting over the stripes on the topside surfaces. Its easier to spray a light coat of green over them, rather than trying to do a light dusting of black & white. 

Dennis

Only thing im a bit dumfounded by right now Dennis, maybe you have an idea about this,  is the stars and bars. If you look at the shot above, the reference picture on the wall shows them. Im thinking that the white in The decals where the star is will be transparent to a certain degree so invasion stripes paint underneath them will show through. So im thinking that i’ll put the metallic paint there, (this will also match the silver under the wing’s stars and bars) 

however that requires some extreme precision masking! 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

Yes it does require masking. What I’ve done is cut out the stars & bars from decal sheets in the past. I then trim tight to the decal leaving a slight edge and layout tamiya tape. I trace the lower edge of the decal so you get the lower half as a mask. Lay that over the invasion stripes and spray your NMF paint of choice. When you remove the masks, the space should have an thin edge of aluminum or whichever between the stripes and stars & bars. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes it does require masking. What I’ve done is cut out the stars & bars from decal sheets in the past. I then trim tight to the decal leaving a slight edge and layout tamiya tape. I trace the lower edge of the decal so you get the lower half as a mask. Lay that over the invasion stripes and spray your NMF paint of choice. When you remove the masks, the space should have an thin edge of aluminum or whichever between the stripes and stars & bars. 

Thanks Dennis that sounds like a good process, hope my 5 thumbs can do it 

• Like 1

All the white parts are masked over,

and together with the blue nose having been masked over previously then everything else remaining will be black or silver.

So i’ve laid down a solid gloss black base first,

then i’ll mask off the bits that will stay black,

then start on the silvers which will sit nicely on the gloss black

49375282296_1c45f2e66c_h.jpg

49375282351_d4c79fffb6_h.jpg

49375282326_fb46277b18_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7

Good evening chaps.

Cripes a’mighty has had its bare metal parts gloss black base polished with tamiya polishing compound so It’s a really shiny base for the metallic paint.

The mustangs puttied wing surfaces have been a matt black base so the two silvers will vary a lot.

49386287686_9cb8fac1d0_h.jpg

49385805678_4ec4d26df1_c.jpg

Meanwhile rovin’ rhoda has been primed in gray, pre-shaded and the underside has had a coat of medium sea gray.

49385805743_7ce618f221_b.jpg

49385805868_428a350eb2_b.jpg

49386474067_10c574cd50_h.jpg

Two very different routes for the two very different finishes

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

These are really coming together very nicely Paul, the work is up to your usual very high standard and the prep work for the metallic finishes is going to give excellent results.

cheers craig 👍

i love this next stage of paint on both these two 🤗

the third one still needs sanding and rescribing

• Like 2

Now we’re slowly getting somewhere

This guy...

49391593307_d9aac446fe_b.jpg

...Is now green...

49390920818_3c2cd1a731_b.jpg

49390920773_6f2ae5b37e_b.jpg

...And this guy is now silver...

49390920778_842475a734_b.jpg

49390920758_65eccd47a8_b.jpg

49391436791_6c08f2c005_b.jpg

I made a big accidental blade grooved slice on one side of the airframe that i’ll have to disguise later 🙄

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8