3 eduard mustangs #####finished#####

Dansk

I tried the blue tack idea on the spinner for my Nooky Booky.  It didn’t work, still had a ragged edge.  I am now trying to paint yellow over red to even it up, that’s not working either, the yellow just has no covering power over the red.  I will probably start over on the yellow section with a white base.

AW

1 hour ago, srkirad said:

Something like this crossed my mind, but you need to be careful not to cut the tape too deep into plastic

Yes, that looks like it would be worth trying.

Instead of cutting knife, you could use razor, fixed beetween pages of some book - this way you can adjust position of the blade comparing to the spinner, and razor is definitelly sharper than usual cuting knife.

Didn't try it myself, but it looks as a pretty clever solution.

• Like 1

Master mike has been given her stripes this evening

49444781463_bd85797285_b.jpg

49444781453_2d50124598_b.jpg

49445267056_cd9765bffd_b.jpg

49444781488_69a4fcb64e_b.jpg

I think i have a solution for the spinner stripes too, those have now been painted yellow so i’ll try the red with the new solution tomorrow

• Like 12

On 22/01/2020 at 17:06, modelling minion said:

That's why I dumped my Revell Tornado last year.

Yeh, and i got your unbuilt gr4 too👍 ( or did you mean the gr4 you dumped on me? 🤗)

Looing good Paul, they're  coming along very well ,sorry to see you've stripped one back, it happens , i tend not to use alclad any more because it lifts easily and it wears through  due to handling far too often , ak extreme metals are my go to bmf paints now ,I'm  running my stock of alclads down

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers fellas 🙏

I’ve had a lot of trouble grappling with eduards decals on master mike.
They also seem a bit too transparent and “printed at home ‘inkjet-y’”.
One particular nightmare was applying the initial swastikas then trying to align and apply their respective arms on top of the crosses. Impossible. 🤨

49456859111_340ab2c42f_b.jpg

The arms also decided to play tricks on me. Great! 😣

49456386418_5552df5251_b.jpg

Then i noticed another set for a different scheme in complete form and excatly the right number and position i needed so these solved that problem. Why on earth would they do this? - Specify one set complete for one scheme, on the same sheet as an exact match set but needing impossible alignment? 🤪

49456859006_8d02253795_b.jpg

Master mike is half Decaled presently.

Rovin rhoda is completey decalled and has been faded, a little too much tan green on the decals espeacially when next to the unadjusted master mike. 

49456386378_b231672a40_b.jpg

Well thats how it will be. One weathered beat up lady.

Panel line washes, chips, oils and exhaust soot etc to follow.

49457091767_84239c3fbb_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Then i noticed another set for a different scheme in complete form and excatly the right number and position i needed so these solved that problem. Why on earth would they do this? - Specify one set complete for one scheme, on the same sheet as an exact match set but needing impossible alignment

It's to do with selling the kit in certain countries I believe. I think in Germany they are not allowed to have whole swastikas in the kit due to legal reasons. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

Your planes are looking brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing them on their legs.

Joss

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

Why on earth would they do this?

I think Joss has it right- note the diagonal dashed line- I speculate that this corner of the sheet would be cut off for those headed to Germany.  Not mentioning it (or picturing it) in the instructions would also be a dodge.  I don't think I've seen it handled that way before!

Oh, by the way, looking nice!

thanks guys

The chequers were the decals charlie

they worked nicely once bedded in on both aircraft.

if you look on the first page on this thread you can see the complete decal sheet with swastikas complete and in fragments on the same sheet.

spacer.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I don't think I've seen it handled that way before!

I've notice it on a few Eduard German kits but I'd hate to be the person cutting them off haha.

@Dansk I've just looked in the instruction book and the decals has two options listed for the broken and unbroken one. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:12 PM, Joss said:

I've notice it on a few Eduard German kits but I'd hate to be the person cutting them off haha.

@Dansk I've just looked in the instruction book and the decals has two options listed for the broken and unbroken one. 

Oh you’re right Joss I didn’t notice.

(I wonder why anyone would choose the more difficult route - to make their life harder?)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

Thanks Glynn 👍 

Ok - Here’s Experiment #2 to get the striped spinner 🧐

I used the top of an airbrush needle tube...

49510849343_6fd048242b_c.jpg

... and secured it with blue tak to the spinner...

49511350086_c9c5733c73_c.jpg

49510842668_7a1ba862b0_c.jpg

Then i coated the remaining exposed area in Liquid mask. 

49510842648_fedacf6cbf_c.jpg

I’m curious to see if the mask will give a clear sharpmask or if it will break up when removing the top? Maybe a run a scalpel around it.

49510842698_5c492bfe29_c.jpg

Meanwhile both aircraft got a bit more weathering, 

49511350226_954be1b512_b.jpg

49511579237_8dfd1f10fc_b.jpg

and rovin’ rhoda has exhausts now.

49511579282_b83cc3df62_b.jpg

49510842713_dcc8b40b89_b.jpg

I’m away from the bench for two weeks now so i hope i can complete them before the GB ends. 😬

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

Very creative idea for the striped spinner. I hope you will arrive at last!

Both planes look very nice except that I think the 'weathering' is a bit strong - or are you going to remove some?

Good luck for the final dash, Michael

• Thanks 1

Agree about the weathering.  The Eighth Airforce Mustangs were well used but also well looked after and were kept fairly clean, certainly when compared with aircraft in North Africa or the Pacific where facilities could be somewhat rudimentary and the climate harsh.

Still, nice models though.

AW