P51-B Mustang III 316 (Polish) Squadron June 1944 - Completed

MarkSH

Hello all,

I May be a little slow getting going with this one but I am in with this ICM version of the Mustang III. It will be straight out of the box and depicted as per the box art version of a 316 Polish Squadron aircraft:

49184308182_11ebb161b2_b.jpg

Quite a nice colourful scheme.

49184104591_bc0ce9c2c2_b.jpg

I have been told that this ICM rendition is a copy of the Tamiya kit. It certainly isn't engineered to the same level with no positive location tabs or the like and the plastic seems a little soft but I picked it up many moons ago for very little money so what the hell.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Heads up for you! - The ICM kit takes a bit of fettling in the cockpit area and the trailing edge of the wing but the biggest issue for me was that some of the decals shattered on contact with H2O...

Here

IanJ 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Finally started the Mustang III,

Cockpit painted and installed:

49391322531_f5edd4384b_b.jpg

I brush primed the whole lot with two thinned coats of Tamiya rubber black of all things, I like the surface it leaves and it can be painted over quite readily. I Just have the seat belts to add plus fit the instrument panel and I can close it up. I think the seat is to far forward and bit low despite positioning the cockpit assembly as per the locating points on the fuselage, The seat is correctly positioned in its own locating points so I don't understand, everything else dovetails such as the seat back to the side wall details etc, ah well never mind.

I will definitely need to add some locating points on the fuselage halves to aid proper securing when it comes to mating the two halves.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all,

Some kits and GBs just don't give in without a fight do they?

This GB really has thrown me some curve balls. Miss America I'm afraid has had to be put to one side in order for me not to do something silly involving the waste bin, but that's another story.

The ICM Mustang III is not a great kit, but I was warned. The most noticeable issue is the dihedral of the wings when fitted to the fuselage...as in not very much of it! despite taping up and leaving to cure properly it was shall we say reluctant to conform.

Anyway like Miss America it was put to one side to have a good hard think about its attitude. Not wanting to capitulate completely, I have now spent the last couple of days priming and masking and spraying just to try and get something out of the GB:

49600028023_8f7d6bdc27_b.jpg

Actually the paint has gone down reasonably well and, in a break with tradition, some of my pre-shading is showing through so I'm happy with that.However I have definitely misinterpreted the leading edge yellow bands, they are far too broad and will need adjusting.

49600028168_d1e2246926_b.jpg

I'm letting it dry and harden properly before painting the sky tail band, red nose band and the black stripes.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Evening all,

Got around to masking and spraying the red rings on the nose as well as the white tail plane stripes that were forgotten at an earlier stage:

49628514007_fe1c58a61a_b.jpg

Hopefully get the black stripes done tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Evening all,

I did manage to get the black strips done today:

49632133681_df12f74851_b.jpg

49631614453_98057b435c_b.jpg

49632133951_21c7dbcd30_b.jpg

I didn't go with full on black but used a mix of Tamiya NATO black and Flat black. I have adjusted the yellow leading edge band at the root of the wing only. I will give it a clear coat when the paint has cured a little, but in advance of that I have removed the undercarriage doors and will do the same with the flaps to stop them getting stuck in place with varnish.

The paint has gone on remarkably well but I'm afraid when I look at the model all I see is the poor dihedral geometry, still it is a colourful scheme.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

Evening all,

This kit is still putting up a fight! The model was given a good coating of Alclad Aqua Gloss which went on very easily and has dried to a hard decent gloss coat, the decals however are like the rest of the kit and don't quite cut it, several of those applied so far have fragmented especially where there is any white involved, infact the complete centre of one of the fuselage roundels became detached including a jagged ring of the white and had to be gently coaxed back into it's correct location, in addition they are not really taking any of the underlying detail despite copious amounts of Micro set/sol and even some Mr Mark Softer which is always a last resort!

49636385811_b7c4b8fbf5_b.jpg

I'm still hopeful of making the deadline.

I do have a question for the Mustang aficionados; I will display the flaps down so what colour should A- the forward part of the flap itself be? and B- the slot for the flap in the wing. Metal, Chromate, other?

TIA

Mark.

• Like 8

AFAIK the front part of the flap is aluminium, and I’m guessing the slot would be as well.  Doubtless someone with better knowledge will come along with more information.

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,

Finally managed to get this one done tonight but only got one picture before the camera battery crapped out! just about typical for this build. I'll get some better images in the gallery as soon as possible:

49652501408_58e72fc1f6_b.jpg

This one was a struggle and no mistake! but I'm glad I got something out of the GB.

Many thanks to the host and co-hosts for, well....hosting.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• MarkSH changed the title to P51-B Mustang III 316 (Polish) Squadron June 1944 - Completed

I’m not a Mustang expert, in fact if it does have a hook, I’m really quite ignorant but that looks like a very well finished model to me.  Well done I think it would be a great addition to the cabinet.  You just need to find a way of displaying it where the dihedral isn’t so obvious..

• Thanks 1