352nd Bluenosed 1/48 Tamiya P-51B w/ the some fixins

BlueNosers352nd

11 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

What do you prime resin with?  Masked the tips on the blades, pulled the tape off and it went down to clear resin.

The resin is probably really smooth, nothing to hold the paint whether its primer or final coat. A very light rub over with 1000 or 1200 wet and dry will give the resin the key to hold on to the paint.

11 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Judging by the B&W above, maybe it should be lighter

The blue paint looks fine to me, I don't think any lighter, but it is a bit subjective.

• Like 1

So it is, just looked at the photo.

Have you applied the name decal yet? If not, how about just spraying that part in matching bare metal and applying the decal?

If you do, be real careful masking the blue. If it's been applied over the Alclad, the blue might peel away with the masking tape.

Best of luck.

Edited by Johnson
More stuff

31 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Have you applied the name decal yet? If not, how about just spraying that part in matching bare metal and applying the decal?

If you do, be real careful masking the blue. If it's been applied over the Alclad, the blue might peel away with the masking tape.

Decal has not been applied, so hopefully I can just mask carefully, sand the ridge a little, paint gloss black and redo the Alclad.

Just been one of those weeks I guess.

Progress continues!  Got the name plate panels re-metalized although you can kinda see where the edge of the blue was.  Hopefully the name will distract from it enough.  On the DDay stripes I tried to make the edges looks not so neat.  I tried lightly scoring some Tamiya tape, then ripping it the rest of the way trying to make some jagged/uneven edges.  Not sure it really worked.  Some were to heavy so I touched them up  Judging by the B&W picture, to me it looks like only the black stripes had been applied to the underside of the wings so that's how she is.  Now I have to do the same on the flaps, which could be interesting as I spilled most my Tamiya White on the floor today.  Wonder how close Model Master Enamel White is to Tamiya white.  Probably can't tell a difference.  It's either that or take a 45 min trip to the hobby shop.

49068694138_f734e2178d_z.jpg

49550491948_61ec85585f_z.jpg

49550991991_44f2678f85_z.jpg

49550992041_06595522aa_z.jpg

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
  • Like 8

Good save on the name plate. I wouldn’t worry about any slight discrepancy in the white, especially between different surfaces. These  markings were applied mostly in the field so they didn’t have a ‘ factory finish ‘, and got grubby quite quickly, especially on the undersides.

John

PS I’ve also used the torn tape method for jagged edges, but ordinary masking tape torn against a strait edge.

• Like 1

Progress continues...........

Got the wrong stars and bars off and things touched up but no new pics of that.   Nothing really to show from the above pics.   Also got some work done on the spinner/blades including the overspray.  Even put on these little details like in the photograph.  They are close and will get the job done.

Fox (The Fox, HO-Z) was another P-51B/C from the 487th FS (Flying Scot II is from the 486th FS).  Haven't read any detals on The Fox.  The little cheat sheet in the back of the 352nd FG book doesn't say anything about being lost.   Not sure what 472 would be.

49571747057_9493897329_c.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Not sure what 472 would be.

Last 3 digits of the serial number to identify the plane of the prop. Usually applied with white or yellow (here?) soluble paint before maintenance. It washed off after a while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toryu said:

Last 3 digits of the serial number to identify the plane of the prop. Usually applied with white or yellow (here?) soluble paint before maintenance. It washed off after a while.

Well shoot............easy fix.

As you're working on it anyway - on the other blade, that's not 'FOX', it looks like the Hamilton Standard logo in the middle with some scratch marks around.

Overall nice paintwork, I would say 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Toryu said:

As you're working on it anyway - on the other blade, that's not 'FOX', it looks like the Hamilton Standard logo in the middle with some scratch marks around.

Overall nice paintwork, I would say 👍

After further inspection, zooming in, etc.  I think you are right.  Good catch!

EDIT:  Buddy is making some masks on his cricket machine.   THinks his stuff will be less tacky.  So we'll see what happens.

Original:

Not sure I will get this done.  About had it with this one.   After dealing with the stars/bars in the wrong spot, replacements not settling well or getting all crinkly with Microsol (even the originals got crinkly) I decided to try Maketar Masks.   Never use that product again.  You get one chance to place it and if you are just slight off and need to adjust you are hosed, it all falls apart trying to pull it up and reposition.  So their claim to be used over and over is highly misleading.......IN MY OPINION. 

Thought maybe I try a 3rd brand of stars/bars.......this time from CAM Decals and their sizes are just all wrong, so that sheet is useless.

Plus I lose 8-9 days on vacation, so that doesn't help the battle.

Had no problem with the Superscale stars/bars on the the A-36.   Even tried Superscale on the 2nd attempt on this P-51B.  Been very hard not to smash this thing into the wall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Been very hard not to smash this thing into the wall.

Nooo! You've worked very hard on it, and had a rough time with decals, but your paint skills are obvious and I'm sure you can get round the decal issues. It's very easy to get despondent about a kit that's going badly, but don't do anything hasty, leave it a day or so and you'll see the good things in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying............didn't even mess with stars/bars last night.  Got the Hamilton decals on the propeller blades.  Attempted to mask and put DDay stuff on the flaps.  Pulled masking off and it stripped a bunch of paint off.  Stripped both those down again, they were off anyway.  So sprayed them with enamel primer this time.  Maybe it will bite better.  One I didn't repaint originally and the other I did because it peeled so I don't know which one peeled this time.  Only time this whole build that tape peeled Alcad.........the Alclad over the resin.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to watch for this completion some other time in the regular finished model section..........not going to make it.  Tried my buddy's cricket cut stencils for the stars/bars.  Apparently I am too stupid to use those too.  So I went back to decals, apparently I am to stupid to use those also.  Think I can live with 3 of the 4 stars/bars.  Fourth one, the under wing one, will be replaced for the 4th time.  Guess the first round doesn't count as I switched the sizes and put them in the wrong spots.  It's dumbfounding that I rolled them out with a cotton bud several times, they looked good.  Then you start putting down Micro Sol to get them to settle (cause Micro Set didn't do it one bit) and you get air bubbles.

I am also worried that the canopy masks and the neo liquid mask won't come off right, or the canopy will break off when trying to get the masks off.  If that happens this kit may get smashed.  Hopefully it's just me overthinking everything per usual.

Signed,

Super Frustrated Guy wondering why he even bothers.

• Sad 1

Good morning BlueNosers352nd

I am really sorry to read that you are having such problems with the decals etc .. but sometimes these things  happen unfortunately..

If you cannot finish it before the deadline I hope you are not going to give up your build after all the good work you've already done you can still finish it here ..

All the best

Patrice

Since this STGB is winding down to an end, I thought I'd share a progress pic or two.  Finally got the stars/bars to go down.  Part of my problem is patience after applying decals.  The last star/bar that was giving me fits, I finally as a last straw just hit it with Solvaset and walked away.  Came back something like 18 hrs later and wow......other that one little wrinkle/bubbleit was pretty good.  It was the underside one, so I just sanded it lightly and touched it up.

The Ultracast wheels for this one just blows the True Detail wheels being used on the A-36A outta the water!   Like the A-36A, this will be one of them 3 footers!  Looks pretty good from 3 feet away.

49660100907_0e056ed780_b.jpg

49659279028_c4d69c00a8_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue Nosed B****** is on it's feet.  Another 6'............don't look too close.  Missing canopy pieces are getting redone. :rant:  One big glaring blemish that I really don't feel like fixing.  Been years since I completed a model, so it is what it is at this point.

49705592578_f2a94f07a4_c.jpg

49705592568_3b1ae39007_c.jpg

• Like 7