352nd Bluenosed 1/48 Tamiya P-51B w/ the some fixins

BlueNosers352nd

Eagerly awaiting the start of the GB.  Here is the beginnings of my build.

- 1/48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang

- Eagle Strike IP4810 Blue Nose Birds of Bodney Part 4

- Ultracast 48026 Detailed Exhausts

- Ultracast 48139 Corrected Flaps

- Ultracast 48133 Block Tread Wheel

- Ultracast 48014 Seats (may or may not use these, depending on Aires set)

- Aires #4223 Cockpit Set (not yet arrived...thought I had a set)

- Resin propeller blades as well (no sure brand, they are in the bag with the exhausts.  More yellow resin so guessing not ultracast)

Gonna depict PZ*D from the 486th Fighter Group as seen in the photo below with plane not fully striped.

49068694138_f734e2178d_c.jpg

49183359046_17151e23b3_c.jpg

49183358721_ac8dc149ea_c.jpg

49183358591_7ed6b22537_c.jpg

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
Forgot to mention resin propeller blades.
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

These 48th tamiya kits are beauties arnt they bn, it looks like  you're  throwing the kitchen sink at it too, i look forward to this one ,what paint will you be using for the bmf?

Well that is a good question.  Years ago I use to use a mix of Floquil Silver Mist, Floquil Glaze and Floquil Diosol on my Mustangs, but haven't built a BMF plane in a long time.  I just used Alclad Aluminum over Mr Surface 1500 Black on my Stearman that looks pretty nice.  As you can see from the photo that it's heavily oxidized so I am not sure.  Suppose I should figure that out in relatively quick order.  I'm open to suggestions.

I watche Doogsmodel videos from Sept 2018 on some new BMF he was trying out and I kinda like the K Colors Chrome 61 Shine that he sprayed.  Almost looks slightly oxidized, although he did state that he wasn't sure if that was his doing, but I like the look.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I'm open to suggestions.

I'm afraid i cant help you there bn, I've only built a small handfull of bmf models you'll be leading the way here I'm  sure 😋

Btw nice to see the flaps down on a grounded ac

Edited by Hewy

Ha, this was one of my possible subjects (it has been on the back-burner for quite a long time)!  At one time, I gathered a number of photos and information about this aircraft, though I'm afraid it is all a bit fuzzy now.  I wonder if the black was painted out with white on the upper surfaces?  That was my interpretation then. 

15 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Ha, this was one of my possible subjects (it has been on the back-burner for quite a long time)!  At one time, I gathered a number of photos and information about this aircraft, though I'm afraid it is all a bit fuzzy now.  I wonder if the black was painted out with white on the upper surfaces?  That was my interpretation then. 

Also find the Z interesting.............it's not covered up.

Successful first weekend on the Bluenosed P-51B Mustang.   Aires interior minus the seat.  Used the Ultracast seat instead.  Mr Surfacer 1500 Black over everything, although some of the resin it didn't stick too.  Followed by Mission Models Interior Green.  First time using it......think I need some pointers as I struggle with it.  I need a finer brush for the details.  Colors overall I just "winged it".  Also did some seam filling on the top of the wings.   Need to work on the bottoms.  Not sure I have all the right ones filled.

Really need to dig out the real camera.

49225360916_ba386ed195_c.jpg

49225360851_a4a32d1a2d_c.jpg

Yikes, their is a fuzzy I need to remove off of that seat.

49225360841_d9326e88c5_c.jpg

• Like 7

That's me waving bye bye to the P-51.  It's now in the trash.  I'm done with it!   Fought the Aires set for several hours, thought I had it fitting right.  Forgot the two inner radiator parts, fortunately could still pry it apart.    Fought me tooth and nail after getting those parts in.   Oh well, thought the interior looked good too.  Never using that set again!  I'll save the other resin for another day.  Might get another one, replace the seat (it's not in the trash).  Not sure yet.  Leave in a week for Christmas vacation so even if I got another Tamiya P-51B, wouldn't have a lot of time.  We'll see.  Got lots of Accurate Miniatures P-51s sitting in the stash.

49236517277_9dfbb0e514_c.jpg

• Sad 5

What a shame, it was looking so nice 😂

I find that sometimes it is better to put the kit to one side for a day or two (or a year or two!) and then survey the kit with fresh eyes?

cheers,

Pappy

Oh no!  I'll happily take the disposed-of stuff if it isn't, umm, irretrievable?  I can always use some Mustang spares.  I was going to offer another Tamiya B, but I don't think I have an extra.  On the other hand, good excuse to dust off an Accurate Miniatures kit.  We don't have an A-36 in the lineup yet, hint hint!

Edit: Actually, I do have a second Tamiya B, and it happens to be the "Bluenose" boxing.

Edited by gingerbob

PLEASE STAND BY

Woke up early this morning still none to happy about the whole thing, but maybe with some less jaded eyes.  Pulled it outta the trash and surveyed the situation.  Everything seems to come off the rails when you try to put the instrument panel in.  One side doesn't want to seat fully.  So I cleaned out the offending side (more like removed) and I think I can salvage it.  Rudder pedals are no more, not that you can see them anyway.  One went flying under the propulsion of man after the side arm got bent enough and broke.  The other got yanked off in disgust.

PLEASE STAND BY

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Oh no!  I'll happily take the disposed-of stuff if it isn't, umm, irretrievable?  I can always use some Mustang spares.  I was going to offer another Tamiya B, but I don't think I have an extra.  On the other hand, good excuse to dust off an Accurate Miniatures kit.  We don't have an A-36 in the lineup yet, hint hint!

Edit: Actually, I do have a second Tamiya B, and it happens to be the "Bluenose" boxing.

Thanks @gingerbob for the offer.   I might just be salvaging this thing yet.

Everybody cross those fingers. 🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

On the other hand, good excuse to dust off an Accurate Miniatures kit.  We don't have an A-36 in the lineup yet, hint hint!

I might entertain such a build.  Was just eyeing the stash after I got home from work last night.  Need to find a decent scheme though......simple OD/Gray schemes don't really do it for me though.  Not that their is much choice with that variant.  Even if I could find something OD/Gray with a little more visual interest.

Yeah, A-36s pose a bit of a challenge there.  There's the one that the RAF played with a bit (subsequently passed to USAAF in England, resulting in a markings curiosity).  And one or two were flown in air races postwar, which would certainly be a "different" one.

Well, came home from work and picked up the pieces and made it work  Fuselage is all glued up too.  The top of the cockpit is just a tad bit to wide which is weird because all the seams touch.  You can see that the canopy is just a tad bit skinnier than fuselage.  Maybe it's the glass.  But with a open canopy it shouldn't be too noticeable.

49240490682_530390f8f1_c.jpg

49239799063_643ce87107_c.jpg

• Like 9

It seems you managed to salvage the kit very well, which is nice - a proof we always have to wait for some cooldown period after something break our plans :)

This looks really good, details in cockpit are very realistic, although I too cannot see canopy attached on that photo 🙄 it may be a stealth one? 😇

Cheers and waiting for new photos,

S.