Hurricane camouflage in Burma

DominikS

Dear Forumites

I hope that you can help me with this trivial question. 

What camouflage was used to paint Hurricanes Mk.IIc in Burma? 

Originally I thought it was Dark Earth/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey.  But I have seen some profiles showing Day Fighter Scheme which seems strange especially when we compare Spitfires VIII from the same period.

By the way. I have tried to find the answer on the Internet and this Forum, but search engines don't like me and don't want to cooperate.

Cheers

Dominik

Old profiles, now known to be wrong.  There is a photo of one Hurricane still carrying Fighter Command trim, so presumably in DFS, but this isn't a front-line example.

It is possible that at least some of the Hurricanes were carrying Azure Blue undersides, at least in the earlier campaigns.

59 minutes ago, DominikS said:

Dear Forumites

I hope that you can help me with this trivial question. 

What camouflage was used to paint Hurricanes Mk.IIc in Burma? 

Originally I thought it was Dark Earth/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. 

The colours may depend on source, aircraft shipped from the UK could have been in TLS (DG/DE/Sky or possibly Sky blue...)  the the belwo look like Sky too me, this is a film still, and from late 1942 I think,  still with European standard markings

2303338c-7f0f-4366-aae7-1b1812a0c108.jpg

but this was being phased out,  and Hurricanes are more likely to have been being built in DFS (DG/Ocean Grey/MSG) or desert scheme, Dark earth/Middlestone/Azure blue

Aircraft in SEAC in DFS have the Ocean Grey overpainted DArk Earth, in the Desert scheme the Middlestone gets a coat of Dark Green, the undersides remain unchanged.

AFAIK, the below is DG/DE/MSG, andI think is an American taken image,  late 44 or 45, from the presence of the Spitfire PR XI and Mosquito

36240415101_293811a040_c.jpgSEACspitXIPhurriIICcolour by losethekibble, on Flickr

But I have seen some profiles showing Day Fighter Scheme which seems strange especially when we compare Spitfires VIII from the same period.

the profiles are likely to be old,  and Hurricanes suffer from "not being Spitfires"  and thus get recycled....

see 

By the way. I have tried to find the answer on the Internet and this Forum, but search engines don't like me and don't want to cooperate.

Cheers

Dominik

You run into the problem that older information is still commonly about and still being used, along with a lack of photos of SEAC planes.   

this is worth a read, as it discusses the markings

HTH

the whole stuation is not helped by there being not many photos, and AFAIK the two images above are the only colour images...

• Thanks 1

Not entirely germaine to the discussion, but thought these videos of Mk IID's in action might be of interest, especially the one showing arming the 40mm guns.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIx_pMwjGyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfziVcyPXII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5xN8hlGLo

Hi, all,

Mk.IIbs from the earlier batches in TLS/Sky (though Vokes tropical filter was installed); Mk.IIc/d DG/DE/MSG or Azure/Light Med Blue (as Troy says, depending on whether they were overpainted from DFS or Desert Scheme)

Recce Bosun Blue.

Fernando