Yugoslav Partisans' Weary Willie ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

It'll be another 1/100 scale Eldon Match Kit from me.

P1110074.jpg

Having built a few Match Kits, I know exactly what to expect:  rivets to sand off, decal placement marks to fill and a finished result that will bear little resemblance to the real thing!  Nevertheless, I do find them quite fun.

P1110075.jpg

The kit includes decals for rather a plain looking post war Mustang - just don't use the cover photo as a placement guide! 

The more you look, the worse it gets.  Maybe the moulded-in placement marks should've been made even deeper :winkgrin:.  Fortunately, the instructions get it right.

P1110028.jpg

When released in 1967, these kits cost 39 cents in the US.  I know this, because it's printed on the box!  That's not something you see nowadays.

P1110076.jpg

Rather than use the kit's scheme, I'm going finish my Mustang as 'Weary Willie', after it had fallen into Yugoslav Partisan hands.

I don't know much about the background, other than that the plane made a forced landing due to battle damage and was abandoned.  Subsequently, the Partisan's repaired the plane and started to use it.  The new ownership was advertised by re-painting the white stars to red.  Lift Here! do a set of decals in 1/72 (here's their artwork), but I'll have to make my own.

P1110077.jpg

I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers.

• Like 14

I like this idea, because I thought of it too, although in 1/72, and I do have that LH set of decals.

Cliff, may I suggest you NOT to delete those USAF roundels on wings and fuselage - they can be a good guide to paint those markings instead of using 1/72 decals on 1/100 kit?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, srkirad said:

I like this idea, because I thought of it too, although in 1/72, and I do have that LH set of decals.

Cliff, may I suggest you NOT to delete those USAF roundels on wings and fuselage - they can be a good guide to paint those markings instead of using 1/72 decals on 1/100 kit?

Thanks S.  I shall be printing my own decals, so shouldn't need to paint the markings. Hopefully!

Cheers

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Where the heck did you dig up this old fossil Cliff? :hypnotised:

Stuart

Aimless hours flicking through eBay ;).  The good news is they're relatively cheap, 'cos no one else wants them!

Cheers

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

It was club night a couple of evenings ago, so I took my Mustang along and did some basic prep work -  sanding off the rivets and filling the decal placement marks.

I also started to test fit the main parts.  There were some interesting surprises!

P1110111.jpg

I think some filing might be needed.....

Cheers

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 7:48 AM, Courageous said:

Bit of work there Cliff.

Stuart

It's looking a bit better now thanks Stuart.

P1110122.jpg

P1110121.jpg

Let's see how it looks though, once I've got some primer on ;)

Cheers

• Like 5

On 2/1/2020 at 10:01 PM, Johnson said:

I think it's really great Cliff, so good to see a kit - and markings - out of the ordinary.

Best wishes,

Thank you Charlie :thumbsup2:

It's taken a few prime/sand cycles to get to a finish that I'm happy with, but I did get there eventually.

P1110135.jpg

I've use a new bottle of Alclad grey primer (my usual choice), but was really disappointed to see that it's changed colour and is now almost white.  This is much less useful that the traditional 'primer grey' colour :(.

As you can see, I've also masked up the canopy which is a relatively simple task on a P-51D!  The canopy has well pronounced frames, which makes masking even easier.  The frames are very thick though (particularly around the front screen), and I'm hoping that this won't upset the final appearance too much.....

Cheers

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress to report.  

The painting's finished and I've started on the decals.

P1110140.jpg

I printed off some red stars to replicate the over-painting of the US markings.

P1110141.jpg

Quite by chance they don't fit perfectly and this gives them a bit of a hand-painted appearance - so a result!

Cheers

• Like 6

On 2/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, Johnson said:

Going very nicely Cliff. Great paint job and well done with the home made decals.

Thanks Charlie.  I must say that it was nice to have some straight lines to mask for a change!

17 hours ago, gingerbob said:

It looks surprisingly like a Mustang now!  Awfully narrow nose, though...

Thanks gingerbob.  You're right about the nose - although it's probably not quite as bad as the original Airfix Defiant!

Anyway, it's all finished now.  All the remaining decals were homemade too.

P1110142.jpg

Thank you to all of you who have supported this build and to Patrice for hosting.

I'll put some more photos in the Gallery shortly.

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1