Concorde 101 G-AXDN

P.1127

Hello all,

Sorry everyone if this question has been raised and answered before...  I searched but couldn't find anything (user error?!).

I'm very much looking forward to receiving a Revell boxing of the infamous 1/72 Concorde for Christmas. How do I know so far in advance? I bought it myself for my wife to wrap for me... but it does mean I get to do a bit of planning before the big day.

I make an annual visit to Duxford with some students and rather like the livery of the Concorde there, G-AXDN. 

My question then, is there a definitive list of changes (large and not so large) between the pre-production G-AXDN and the production models? Obvious to me is the shorter tail-cone on G-AXDN compared to the production aircraft and the different engine nozzles?

What else have I missed? Is a conversion of the kit back to G-AXDN possible given my mediocre modelling talent (I reference my Kestrel build)?

Thanks for looking,

Jack

• Like 1

I’ve been going to look into this myself; I treated myself to the HPH Concorde recently. The model is given as ‘101’  and ‘102’ as part of the name which is a little puzzling given that those two versions had different tails, but the model has the longer one. The HPH Concorde also has the production exhausts with buckets etc rather than the pre-production nozzles - so is the kit actually a production model? But then the kit’s outboard flap (or elevon or whatever) has quite a bit of a slice cut off it. I haven’t found any comments on the model differences let alone find a completed build anywhere yet.

Nick

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Orso said:

spacer.png

I think that it is the one that I have stalled on my build table but in 1/144 scale so I will monitor the answers to this. I did build new jet exhausts now, One big problem will be decals for it. 

Have you seen this site: http://www.concordesst.com

Orso, that looks pretty good to me. Can you give some more details about the tail? Did you make it yourself? I am aware of the Concorde SST site,  which I have enjoyed looking through but couldn't find anything specific relating to the differences G-AXDN and the production aircraft. I may have missed it!

3 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

I’ve been going to look into this myself; I treated myself to the HPH Concorde recently. The model is given as ‘101’  and ‘102’ as part of the name which is a little puzzling given that those two versions had different tails, but the model has the longer one. The HPH Concorde also has the production exhausts with buckets etc rather than the pre-production nozzles - so is the kit actually a production model? But then the kit’s outboard flap (or elevon or whatever) has quite a bit of a slice cut off it. I haven’t found any comments on the model differences let alone find a completed build anywhere yet.

Nick

Nick, I had to google the HPH Concorde: Wow, what a kit. It definitely looks to be a production machine though rather than machine 101... I think 102 was much closer to a production machine so perhaps it's a good representation of that?!

On 08/12/2019 at 15:05, P.1127 said:

I think 102 was much closer to a production machine so perhaps it's a good representation of that?!

Yes, quite possibly. But the one I would like to do is G-BOAF because that’s the one that lives just a few miles along the road at the Aerospace Museum. In fact, I did think about taking the HPH model along for a game of ‘spot the difference’ with some of the staff .  . .

Nick