Italeri 1/72 F-51D Guatemalan Air Force >>> FINISHED <<<

srkirad

As Patrice approved my so far done work on this kit, I'm pleased to join my first 'regular' GB (I don't count KUTA as so much regular GB due to open rules).

Like I explained in GB chat, this P-51D is started ages ago, last steps done in 2011 to be precise... Photos were made on 05.11.2019, but last steps are done 8 years ago...

Cockpit is painted, but etched walls are to be assembled ... Italeri missed to engrave panel lines on join of wings and fuselage so I made them with masks and spraying of few layers of Mr. Surfacer.

I've planned to make this Mustang as Guatemalan machine...

Everything ready for next weekend's official start of GB!

Cheers,

S.

p51d-guatemala-021.jpg

p51d-guatemala-022.jpg

p51d-guatemala-023.jpg

• Like 16

As I was out of home whole day yesterday, I finally managed to officially start work on this build this afternoon.

I've glued PE cockpit walls to both fuselage halves, and managed to assemble PE wheel doors.

Cockpit is done 8 years ago as you've probably seen in intro post, so it is just posing on this photo :)

p51d-guatemala-024.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I must admit this GB is going with the lightning speed, there are so many nice builds, so one almost cannot find time to do his own build :D

Anyway, I've been doing some bits on mine Mustang during past few days.

Etched wheelbay covers were primered with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black on the inner side (that will go into aluminium), and also wheels, landing gear, and propeller.

p51d-guatemala-025.jpg

Extratech underbody intake radiators were assembled and glued to their place, and that small "fence" on oval frontal intake part.

p51d-guatemala-026.jpg

p51d-guatemala-027.jpg

Dryfit show this part is very nice addition to this kit

p51d-guatemala-028.jpg

There will be some more work before assembling the cockpit with fuselage, and closing the fuselage itself, but I think after that everything should go straightforward more or less...

Thanks for watching :)

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally made some progress on my P-51.

Intake area has been sprayed in Interior Green, details around grills and radiators received some oil wash, and cockpit has been finally installed in fuselage, and then closed...

p51d-guatemala-029.jpg

p51d-guatemala-030.jpg

I'm waiting until tomorrow for the glue on fuselage halves dries out, and then it comes a bit boring part of taking care of those seams...

Cheers and all the best in 2020 to all!

S.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hewy, I was working on fuselage during last week, it seems like not so much haven't been done, but this kit requires some attention around details...

I've finally assembled fuselage and wings, with some styrene inserts on the joint beetween them, as there was a minor gap to be filled.

p51d-guatemala-031.jpg

p51d-guatemala-032.jpg

Fuselage halves joint had some nasty seams that were filled with super glue or styrene strips and then sanded. All panel lines that were lost are rescribed.

p51d-guatemala-033.jpg

These rectangular panels with 32 holes on the nose section were misplaced, so I deleted them by layer of super glue, and rescribed them on the correct position.

Holes were drilled with a needle using template/matrix of 32 holes printed on tracing paper.

Nose intake was also some 0.5mm smaller than rest of nose, so some super glue added made up for it.

I must admit that super glue slowly becomes on of my favourite "putties" for some nasty seams and gaps... It hardens good for sanding, doesn't loose its volume after drying, and behaves nice during rescribing panel lines over it...

p51d-guatemala-034.jpg

p51d-guatemala-035.jpg

Some styrene was added around underfuselage intake to fill the gaps... Also nice view of Extratech etched grill inside intake...

p51d-guatemala-036.jpg

...and rear radiator grill (or whatever is called in english - sorry, can't find appropriate term for it as english is not my native language)

p51d-guatemala-037.jpg

Continuing work, with new photos soon hopefully....

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, srkirad said:

and rear radiator grill (or whatever is called in english - sorry, can't find appropriate term for it as english is not my native language)

Radiator grill is fine!

As said ⬆️, some really great work! The cockpit is very nice. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thanx for the kind words mates.

@Andre B Actually I didn't try to dryfit clear parts. Canopy will be opened for sure, so any missfit will not matter.. but windshield if does make problems I'll see what to do.

Hopefully in few days I will clean the wing joints, and correct what is needed, and then I will take care of windshield... not so long until primer, and start of painting...

Cheers,

S.

11 hours ago, srkirad said:

Thanx for the kind words mates.

@Andre B Actually I didn't try to dryfit clear parts. Canopy will be opened for sure, so any missfit will not matter.. but windshield if does make problems I'll see what to do.

Hopefully in few days I will clean the wing joints, and correct what is needed, and then I will take care of windshield... not so long until primer, and start of painting...

Cheers,

S.

Hi,

Sad to say that the Italeri windshield has an reputation of missfit and problems. I think it's an good idea to dryfit the windshield before priming and as early as possible...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Ah, OK, it seems that most of this kit suffers from some kind of missfit - after fuselage halves were joined, I saw that some lines are not quite in line, so rescribing was a must.

No problem, windshield was only given a coat of Interior Green, so I will first dryfit it, make correction neccessary, and then repaint it.

Thanks for the advice :)

Cheers,

S.

53 minutes ago, srkirad said:

Ah, OK, it seems that most of this kit suffers from some kind of missfit - after fuselage halves were joined, I saw that some lines are not quite in line, so rescribing was a must.

No problem, windshield was only given a coat of Interior Green, so I will first dryfit it, make correction neccessary, and then repaint it.

Thanks for the advice :)

Cheers,

S.

Well, the Italeri kit demands more work than the Airfix, Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. I've built it once and avoid it today. It is close to the Academy kit in shape but with more "strange" parts and some fit issues. As the wings on the real thing was filled and sanded smoth the wings are an easy fix. And you mentioned and showed the carburator intakes on the nose. Think you made an nice job with them.

I feel the windshield is the worst and most difficult part to fix.

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

Some panel lines are rescribed, gun bays on wings glued to their positions with adding some styrene strips (one more area where Italeri did awful job), horizontal stabilizers glued to the fuselage and windshield sanded down to fit the fuselage

p51d-guatemala-038.jpg

Windshield now looks satisfying - it was much wider than fuselagem so I've been sanding it from both outside and inside.

I've only dryfitted it to see how does it look like now - it is freshly oversprayed with few shots of Interior Green...

p51d-guatemala-039.jpg

p51d-guatemala-040.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Nice work with the windshield. Not the easyest part building the Italeri kit...

Cheers / André 

Yeah, I know, almost every part or join needs some attention.

Good thing is I am almost done with glueing of main parts - I've just glued air intake beneath the fuselage, and I hope it's the last part that will need some puttying and sanding.

After that, I glue windshield and prepare for primer finally!

• Like 2

After few days of tidying up of some details and panel lines around belly intake, I've finally sprayed primer, and polished it a bit with Gunze Micromesh.

I'm pretty satisfied with overall look, so in a day or two it's preshading stage!

p51d-guatemala-041.jpg

p51d-guatemala-042.jpg

I've also drilled engine exhausts, much better than it was, and no need for aftermarket replacement...

p51d-guatemala-043.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6