Blenheim fans, can I ask a favour?

Putty Animal

Hello chaps.  I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.  Specifically someone who owns one of the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim kits and has an accurate way of measuring things, such as a set of calipers. 

I'm building a Blenheim Mk I which is mostly from scratch, and I'm having a hard time finding out the correct distance between the two engines.  For such an iconic and beautiful aircraft there are few reliable drawings out there, and the ones that I have gathered over the years do not seem to agree on shapes and dimensions. 

So....  here's my plea. If anyone has an Airfix Blenheim in 1/48, either built or on the go; could you measure the distance from the centre of one propellor hub to the other for me?  That would be a massive help and allow me to ensure I'm on the right track!  :)

Also, I f you're feeling generous, it would be reassuring to know the exact diameter of the cowlings too, as these are often drawn differently on each set of plans that I have.  Finally, if it isn't too cheeky to ask: I also hear that the kit wheels are too small in diameter, but an aftermarket company (Barracuda, I think) has released a set of wheels to the correct size.  If anybody out there owns a set of these resin wheels, it would be amazing if they could tell me the diameter of the tyres.   

Phew!  That's about it.  I reckon armed with those key measurements I should be able to get things moving and keep on with the project.  Thank you to everybody for having a look and season's greetings to all!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for being late but I missed this before. So;

Cowlings OD 26.89 mm. front opening 20.64mm.Hub centres 95.0mm. According to the rigging information engine centres are 7' 9" from aircraft centre line. (Haynes Blenheim book Pg154).

The tyres originally fitted to the Blenheim are no longer available so a modern alternative is used on the airworthy type at Duxford. I'm not sure what current survivors (if any) have the wartime originals.

HTH and apologies for the delay again. 

• Like 2

That's perfect!  Thank you so much for that, its a massive help.  Quite a relief too, as the dimensions you provided tally really well with the components so far.  The cowling diameter and distance are good.  Just the openings need to be enlarged by .22mm.

You made my day :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

I confess that when the answer appeared I realized I had forgotten about this query.  Mine's still on sprues, though, so would have been somewhat difficult to measure.

Quite understandable. I'm working on a long term stash resident the Sanger Blenheim IV and Airfix have provided a pattern for me ;) It'll never be a great model but I hope to get it to the stage where it passes muster with the Airfix one. Always up for a laugh I am.