*done* One of the Bottisham four

vppelt68

Is there a general rule regarding the "regular" P-51D canopy versus the "Dallas" canopy? My Mustang-knowledge isn´t good enough to tell one from another, when the pieces are not side by side to compare to each other. I thought maybe the block could help, as if the -NA:s would have the "regular" and the-NT:s the "Dallas", but it just can´t be that simple. I plan to build the 44-13926, which was a D-5-NA and can be seen here. I should go with the "regular", right? V-P

OOB? Means Tamiya, 1/72, yes? I built that a few years ago but didn’t write in the log which canopy I used.* This plane is photographed plenty, so base your choice on the photos (canopies could be changed too)?

* I did write that it would be easier to paint invasion stripes rather than using the decals though.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Thanks 1

Definitely not a Dallas hood.  What I can't tell yet is whether it is the early "flat sided" canopy or the "blown" one which bulges out beyond the lines of the windscreen on the sides.  The latter were favored because they gave a bit more "head shaking" room and a better ability to look over the edge.  In reality it is a lot more complicated than "Dallas" vs "Inglewood", but I don't think we need to go there.  One significant clue is the "smooth" profile running down to the rear frame, rather than a bit of a peak before the clear gets to the metal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for replies! Some plastic has been joined permanently together and some paint brushed on, I´ll take and add pics when there´s really something to look at. About the kit, it´s somewhere between Tamiya´s Spitfire Vb and FW 190 A-3. It has a sort of "hasegawish" feel to it, which is not a complaint, but I wouldn´t praise it above the Airfix kit either. The aerial, control stick and landing gears are better, though 🤭. V-P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I assembled the wings, attached the windshield, sanded slightly some seams and then painted the first layer of OD on the fuselage. Main event was the Instant Invasion Stripes, though. As I brush paint enamels, there´s nothing I hate more and nothing that looks worse than my attempts at trying to paint something white. I absolutely hate it! Having gone through all that paint-mask-paint- procedure in building an invasion stripy Mustang before, I thought I´d give Tamiya decals a chance this time. After all, if they fail, I´d still have another chance with the paints.

2020-01-13_10-16-38

Here´s the lower surface of the wings. I decided I´d try to decorate them before attaching them to the fuselage, just to make handling easier. I dry tested the fit though, it´s Tamiya, need I say more? The large stripy decal has just been dipped in water. It was time for the last "before"- pic.

2020-01-13_11-32-48

Time for the first "after" pic. The four underwing stripe decals are on and it´s time to soak them in Micro Sol, and then again, and again, and...

2020-01-13_11-33-40

Meanwhile, on the other side of the wings, the landing gear covers, drop tanks, propeller and fuselage almost all the other decals were also applied. And a lot of Micro Sol! That star needs some more attention.

This kit is now three decals short of having all of them applied! The large, rear fuselage E2*S decals and the data panel are all that are left to do. I just need to paint a second layer of OD on the fuselage first. Then it was time to get some sleep...

2020-01-14_06-11-02

First thing this morning, I took a look at all this, and was mildly pleased... but applied yet another treatment with Micro Sol! V-P

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Decals look great but I think I'd run a blade along the flap hinge line to get a clear demarcation.

Stuart

Will do that, as there are also the shell ejection etc. holes yet to be opened 😀

• Like 1

A few bits and pieces yet to add, touch up the Instant Invasion Stripes here and there, repaint yellow panels in the leading edge, paint the nose and spinner pieces yellow...

2020-01-15_10-58-05

...paint the marker and nav lights etc...

2020-01-15_10-56-45

...and have fun with an excellent kit as long as it lasts! V-P

• Like 11