Hello everyone... I picked this up a month ago at the one local swap meet. With my intentions of using it in the future Revellogram classic kit build. However Ive decided to build it here instead.  It will be mostly a stock oob build with some minor mods to convert it into an F-6B/C. Most likely it will be “Satans son”.

W8nlr7o.jpg

As I have a decal set for this plane, my alternative will be “Big Momma”.ntfGzdr.png

Or an F-6C mustang from the 23rd FG out of china. M8Elbzp.png
Both planes I will need to scratch up the markings for. Here are the obligatory Sprue photo’s. Ijq0145.jpg

pRe3cX5.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

Great idea to build the old Monogram darling, Dennis. I‘m restoring three of my own 1980s models in parallel, with some dramatic updates. Much interested how yours develops.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I was able to get a start on the interior today. I still need to scratch the camera‘s and there mounts before i can close up the fuselage. iksyXKt.jpg
There will be one behind the Radiator outlet between it and the tailwheel. Another on the port side just above the radiator outlet and a third behind the pilot aimed thru the port rear window. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 12/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, vppelt68 said:

:popcorn:needed. I have a decal sheet with one of the options an F6C, I'm very interested to see how to convert one from a P-51 kit. Not in this GB, though. V-P

Its not going to be the best or most accurate conversion but it will at least look like an F6C. 

On 12/7/2019 at 4:25 AM, CliffB said:

No prizes for guessing that my vote would go for 'Miss Revenge' :winkgrin:

17 hours ago, Andwil said:

Mine’s another vote for the 23rd FG “Miss Revenge”,  real snazzy scheme.

AW

Oh sure guys pick the scheme thats almost entirely all masking. 😉 Its a maybe but then that means id need to buy another P-51B/C to convert, so i can use the “Satans Son” decals I've had for 16-17 years ? I know i know build em all as Enzo would say. Im not 100% decided yet on the markings, that will come as the build progresses. Maybe i will just have to surprise you and go with another scheme, or not tell anyone till I've painted/decal’d this one.  

• Like 1

Well went to close up the fuselage halves tonight only to hit a roadblock. I failed to notice the tailwheel was missing from the kit when i bought it. Have to figure out what my next few steps are before i can move forward. I never build gear up so thats just not an option ? Any thoughts or ideas ? 

Dennis

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

shame about the missing tailwheel but I’m sure you’ll think of something.

Yea trying to decide if i want to ruin a Revell P-51D for the bits or by the SAC Tamiya set and rig that up ? Either way its going to have to wait until next week when i get some $ for Christmas. 

• Haha 1

Or let me send you a replacement part from the Monogram kit?  Having said that, I'd better make sure I have it- I think I got a "bitsa" kit myself.  I've got plenty of other Mustang kits to rob from, though.

Edit: Yes, verified that I do have the part.  PM me your address and I'll send it.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Thanks to @gingerbob I have a tailwheel on its way, so once its here i can get back into this. So I’ve been doing some digging and “Barbara/Miss Revenge”

Alwy1Mm.jpg

kA9QvSz.jpg
has nose art in yellow. I can do everything else with masks and spares. However the Yellow nose-art kills this option. Unless someone knows or can make a decal for me using this photo. However i have found two sister mustangs both F-6C’s from the 118th TRS. 
K20MSsc.jpg

My preferred option is still ”Satans Son”  i really do like the overall color-scheme of “597”. Another option from the same unit in NMF

Vtw6jU9.jpg

Again if anyone knows of a set of “Miss Revenge” nose-art decals or can make them let me know ? Otherwise “597” is now the leading contender from the 118th TRS. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Well Good news everybody... The tailwheel unit that gingerbob sent me showed up today.

MiAntsR.jpg

So I will jump back on this tomorrow and close the fuselage up. I think if i time this right i can make it by New Years Eve. Im trying to extend my 2019 total and i should be able to. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Ok i did a little tonight to get the ball rolling. I finished up the office. I then added the Cameras and tailwheel to the lower fuselage. fuBYO2F.jpg
I know it doesn't look like much here. But once the cameras are drilled out and painted with clear lenses they will look more convincing. Once they were mounted i glued the fuselage shut. I predict paint by the weekend if everything goes smoothly. Once I'm done with sanding i will go dark and not reveal the markings choice until everything is painted. Questions, comments, thoughts, or votes towards all the options ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

You're doing a very nice job converting the good old Monogram kit to F-6 status. I would go for '597' in OD scheme. That should look great with silver spinner and silver drop tanks.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Fuselage is together with the wings. Ive removed the raised panel lines on the upper/lower wing. Rough grinding has also occurred. Now its just going to need some filler. To get things just a bit smoother. XzfeXMs.jpg

RpLcYu9.jpg

Next up is sanding, sanding, and oh yes more sanding. 😉 Boring stuff so wont be doing to many updates until that is done. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Ok were done on the sanding front. Next up finish polishing connection on the Horizontal stabs, then we move onto paint.
TKe5fsw.jpg

mFVz8bP.jpg

I truly don't think there is enough time to get the whole thing finished by New years eve. But I am gonna do my best to get close. Questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Ok First paint is on folks. 
0Y65Nel.jpg

HkqCmkN.jpg

Mi7ogg7.jpg

J3HBn6N.jpg

I hit the plane with Tamiya Aluminum followed by Tamiya Yellow. I will clear that down tonight so I can mask the lightning bolts and “597” and spray the Neutral grey/O.Drab tomorrow. Once thats done i will pull the initial lightning bolt masks off and put edging on just enough to get the yellow trim when i spray the black. I did add the ADF Antenna base as well. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3