Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

On 1/23/2020 at 1:52 AM, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Hairystick, 

Could you share the link to your build? I would like to see it for inspiration. :)

Hi. I didn't do a build thread, but the finished model is in my signature line "Lumps of plastic I've stuck together & thrown paint at" which should hyperlink to the thread.

11 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding Nikola!!!!!  I think you made a great choice in subject matter!!!!!  P-61`s are way cool!!!!! 😎

Thanks Sky Keg! 

Next to F4U and B24J, the P-61 is one of my favourite birds. :) Very fun to model as well.

Cheers, 

Nikola

On 22/12/2019 at 17:29, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi guys,

Just an update on the Widow:

Dark yellow primer and complementary pre-shading finished for the interior parts of the plane. I used red pre-shading for interior green base (cockpit etc) and purple for zinc chromate and aluminium (wheel wells, underside, etc...)

The project is going slowly because I had to spend A LOT of time cleaning flash and seam lines from every single piece. The molds are really old.

I can't imagine what's in store for me when time comes to fit the pieces together, as the wings already caused some slight issues, but we'll see.

The kit is notorious for a reason, but hey, it's a skill honing challenge.

Also it's a great subject so I keep on going! :)

Anyhow, bellow are the project update photos. Again I apologize for the image quality. 

Thanks for looking guys.

Cheers,

Nikola

Verrrrry Innnteresting. Preshading with greyscale I've done for along time, I never would have thunk to use primary colours,excellent idea Nikola! Thank you!

Edited by Julien
DONT QUOTE ALL THE PICTURES

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Verrrrry Innnteresting. Preshading with greyscale I've done for along time, I never would have thunk to use primary colours,excellent idea Nikola! Thank you!

Hi Loren,

I am glad that you find my complementary pre-shading method interesting. :) As for the method itself, if you wish to take a look, here is the link to WIP, my first experiment with a Zeke (did it only on the exterior this first time):

And here is the link to RFI:

You can even go further when doing a "virtual light source" method (I don't know the proper name :)) and introduce "warm" colours for pre-shading "cold" base colors in areas which will be in shade and vice versa, "cold" pre-shading for "warm" ones. This is done in painting.

The complementary pre-shading method (pre-shading base color with it's complementary) came to my mind recently and it is more of an artistic than realistic approach to painting models, but I like to mix both in my work and try to be somewhere in between. 

We'll see how far I can develop the method. Looks promising to me anyway. 

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I got watch this play out.  The colors for preshading gots my curiosity peaked.

Hi BlueNosers,

As I replied to Loren above, I am glad that you find my complementary pre-shading method interesting. :) As for the method itself, if you wish to take a look, here is the link to WIP, my first experiment with a Zeke (did it only on the exterior this first time):

And here is the link to RFI:

You can even go further when doing a "virtual light source" method (I don't know the proper name :)) and introduce "warm" colours for pre-shading "cold" base colors in areas which will be in shade and vice versa, "cold" pre-shading for "warm" ones. This is done in painting.

The complementary pre-shading method (pre-shading base color with it's complementary) came to my mind recently and it is more of an artistic than realistic approach to painting models, but I like to mix both in my work and try to be somewhere in between. 

We'll see how far I can develop the method. Looks promising to me anyway. 

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

Hi gents,

Here she is with the first set of thin coats of base color (Tamiya's XF-62 Olive Drab) over the complementary pre-shading scheme.

I think that the color variation should be subtler so I might go with a couple of more thin coats of OD or go straight to filters and do it that way.

I will decide on that when I see the model tomorrow in daylight. :)

Apologies for the image quality.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

Nikola,

Great looking start on the base paint. Should really show the change in color hue during the process. Similar to the sun baking the color and bleaching as it ages. Dazzling start as always.

Ron VanDerwakrer

• Like 1

11 hours ago, f111guru said:

Nikola,

Great looking start on the base paint. Should really show the change in color hue during the process. Similar to the sun baking the color and bleaching as it ages. Dazzling start as always.

Ron VanDerwakrer

Hi Ron, 

Thank you very much! Appreciated and encouraging. :)

I will probably go with a couple of more very thin passes of lighter shade of OD and then go onto filters of specific panels and areas. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

• Like 1

Hi gents,

Update on the Widow:

She received a second set of very thin coats (85%, thinner) this time those being Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow. I chose to lighten the OD with a yellow since OD is actually a mixture of yellow and black. 

The first couple of photos are taken outside in daylight and the rest is from the study. This is as close as I could get to showing what I actually see in reality without taking fancy photos. :)

The effect of complementary pre-shading is subtle, but I think that it does add richness to the color scheme of the model. 

Criticism and comments are more than welcome!

Again, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, billn53 said:

As an experiment of sorts, this is looking very promising!

Thanks Bill! Glad you like it. :)

I think that it opens up a lot of possibilities for interesting color interplay, but one should be careful and keep it subtle so it doesn't look unrealistic.

We'll see how this outcome handles the next steps of washes and filters. 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gents,

Just a quick update on this slow developing project :)

Decals and the second gloss coat done.

Next: Minor paintwork corrections, painting certain details, more filters, washes, chipping, exhaust stains... and all that jazz.

Again, apologies for the image quality. 

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Alan P said:

That's a very interesting technique for the preshading. It's worked very well on the interior in particular. 

Great subject getting some great treatment 👍

Hi Alan, 

Thank you very much! Appreciated! Glad you find my technique interesting. I tried it first on my previous build, Tamiya's 1/48 Zeke (on the exterior only), and it turned out very interesting so I decided to stick with the method and develop it further. :)

Cheers, 

Nikola

Hi gents,

She has been salted and filtered with flat white. Then when the salt was removed she received another flat clear coat to get rid of salt ''fogging'' effect and an overall Desert Yellow filter.

She is now ready for exhaust stains, final gunk wash with Abteilung 502 Starship Filth, chipping and various final touches.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi guys,

Just a quick update - Ailerons and flaps installed, and exhaust stains made with a 50-50 mix of Tamiya Flat Brown and Rubber Black followed by Tamiya Buff.

As usual, apologies for image quality. :)

So close to wrapping her up.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi gents,

Last update on the Widow before she goes into RFI section :)

I have tried sponge chipping method for the first time, combining it with brush chip painting - I am not very satisfied with the result, but it turned out acceptable. I had better results with HS method. It is what it is, no further changes (might do some silver pencil details). Will have to practice a lot. :)

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gents,

I lied when I said that the previous post was the last before the RFI (the build is taking forever) :)

Here she is with only the canopies, tarps and antennae left to be finished.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I am hopefully going to start making tarps for the Widow soon using paper tissue, PVA and water, and since I've never done this before I could really use some advice about how to do it i.e. water to PVA ratio, number of tissue layers, etc... The process in general. :)

Thank you in advance guys! 

Best, 

Nikola

• 5 months later...

Hi gents,

I finally got the will to finish this bad boy so I started on the tarps (for the first time), as I said to cover all the problems with the canopy to fuselage fit and quality due to the kit being ancient and the molds being shot.

I mixed PVA glue with water (ratio completely arbitrary) and did a few test tarps with regular paper tissue. 

It looked ok, so I proceeded onto the model.

Next is priming and painting so I will see what I get.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2