1/48 Spitfire F XIVe highback, 402 Squadron, RCAF, March 1945

Here's my 1/48 Spitfire Mk XIVe highback completed as 'Blackie' MacConnell's mount at the end of the war. I believe he was flying this aircraft when he downed an Arado AR-234 in April, 1945.

It started life as an Airfix PR XIX, and was modified extensively to become a Mk XIVe.  Decals are from XtraDecal, and Aviaeology stencils.  Paints are Tamiya acrylic's, with weathering  using Humbrol enamels and pastel chalk.

Hope you like,

Colin

Image3

Image2

Image9

Image11

Image7

Image16

Image13

Image10

Image23

Image22

Build log -  

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 2

What a beauty,...... you`ve done a magnificent job and it really looks the business,..... the photography is sharp as a die too!!

I chose the same squadron for my own XIV which was converted from the Airfix PR.19 and parts from an ICM Spitfire XVI! 

Cheers,

Tony

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

What a beauty,...... you`ve done a magnificent job and it really looks the business,..... the photography is sharp as a die too!!

I chose the same squadron for my own XIV which was converted from the Airfix PR.19 and parts from an ICM Spitfire XVI! 

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks very much!

I know of your conversion, as I was following it at the time with jealousy, and have it saved on my computer. Your excellent work inspired me to attempt mine.

Cheers,

Colin

What an outstanding Spitfire!

Everything about it looks exactly right and the subtle weathering is right on the money. You obviously know your Spits!

Even the paint wear on the back of the prop tips looks realistic, unlike most random chipping efforts seen in these pages. Just a question, though – on the photos, it looks like metal where the paint has worn down. The Rotol blades were made of compressed birchwood, so…?

Superb, and inspiring, modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

59 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

What an outstanding Spitfire!

Everything about it looks exactly right and the subtle weathering is right on the money. You obviously know your Spits!

Even the paint wear on the back of the prop tips looks realistic, unlike most random chipping efforts seen in these pages. Just a question, though – on the photos, it looks like metal where the paint has worn down. The Rotol blades were made of compressed birchwood, so…?

Superb, and inspiring, modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks,

I'm not sure if the prop exterior surfaces were wooden, this excerpt is from the Smithsonian Museum on the Rotol 5 bladed prop in their collection ...

"Rotol Spitfire Propeller Blade, Constant-Speed, Wood and Metal -

A British shortage of duralumin material during World War II led to application of the Schwarz process, where special machinery pressed a hard metal mesh coating and cellulose sheet over the entire propeller primarily consisting of soft wood, usually pine or fir, to produce very hard composite wood blades."

I'm following the wear patterns on photos of the actual aircraft, and they do seem to show a metallic sheen, possible from the fine mesh screening surface.

Image2

3690539310_6cf2a9e36e_o

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 3