Airfix Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 XV230, HSA Woodford 1969

Hey guys,

First post here, long time lurker but only first time geting round to posting! Im pretty well established on the Facebook pages and Instagram (@jonesy.models) but never branched out to BM yet!

I thought id share a recent completion of mine here, Airfix's venerable offering of the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod... The kit itself is really quite remarkable, and offers the oppurtunity to build the MR1, MR2 and R1.  I went with the MR1 at the request of recipient, who further detailed that he wanted XV230 in her handover days to the RAF. So i decided to represent her as she was at Hawker Siddley Aviation Woodford in 1969. Just in her standard scheme and markings, lacking the squadron details et al.  I used a pick of markings from the Xtradecal X72080 'Grey and White Nimrods in RAF Service' sheet which provided all i needed for the final livery.

The build itself wasnt without its difficulties. The main being when it came to affixing the wing. The lower wing section was fitted, and then when the upper halves were to be attached, it wouldnt go correctly, forcing an unnatural and unrealistic dihedral to the wings. As a result, it took a few good goes, and finally a bit of filler to get it correct. Otherwise, the build was uneventful and generally pleasent. Which is good, as i have two more of these beasts to build in the near future!

spacer.png

spacer.png

3fb7e4bab00d8b1ac5abe4821c47f36f.jpg

365408ce8645c294607e3b0cebe02bba.jpg

f0db08492be93a3065cbb8ce05051313.jpg

The basic shots above show the completed model, and what a mighty looking aircraft the Nimrod is! 

ec6d52b54c69cb3000e712b446a7816b.jpg

I am a Volunteer at the Avro Heritage Museum, on the former Woodford Aerodrome, and here you see the mode in 'flight' over a model of the airfield at it once was in its heyday. Now, it has been demolished and is being turned to houses. A shame for the home of Avro, and birthplace of some of my favourite aircraft, namely the Vulcan, Nimrod and HS748.

dfbc5613d1ec15c40af83385ba6ae871.jpg

Finally, a shot of the model in profile with our Nimrod nose section, XV235, which holds many stories in its own right!

Thank you for reading my post, my first here but i dont doubt therell be many more to come!

Rhys Jones-Ager

• Like 43

I can’t disagree with you that building this kit has its “gotchas” but you’ve done a good job on it.  Like you I’ve got another three to build, at least one of which will be in the grey and white scheme, but probably one of the jets which was at the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Review at RAF Finningley.

I know it’s your model but I’d have been tempted not to emphasise the panel lines quite so much, bearing in mind that you’ve depicted the aeroplane fresh out of the assembly hall, maybe a lightly-applied H or 2H pencil line might have been the way to go but you’ve still turned out a lovely rendition of one of the RAF’s Cold War stalwarts.

PS: can you divulge anything further on XV235’s history please?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

I can’t disagree with you that building this kit has its “gotchas” but you’ve done a good job on it.  Like you I’ve got another three to build, at least one of which will be in the grey and white scheme, but probably one of the jets which was at the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Review at RAF Finningley.

I know it’s your model but I’d have been tempted not to emphasise the panel lines quite so much, bearing in mind that you’ve depicted the aeroplane fresh out of the assembly hall, maybe a lightly-applied H or 2H pencil line might have been the way to go but you’ve still turned out a lovely rendition of one of the RAF’s Cold War stalwarts.

PS: can you divulge anything further on XV235’s history please?  

Cheers mate, yes i know the weathering wouldnt have been like this straight from new assembly, however 230 was used for trails during the handover, and would have had a more than fair oppurtunity to get mucky out and about!

56 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Welcome aboard.  You have made an excellent job of this build.  It must be quite a big model. I take it is 1/72.

Thank you! Yes, it is the Airfix 1/72 kit, certainly no small model, about 50cm either way!

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful mate! Seem a few of this model you posted, looking at it again it is amazingly good. Welcome to BM :) 

Cheers mate, thank you for getting me on board!

19 minutes ago, Jonesy.Models said:

Cheers mate, yes i know the weathering wouldnt have been like this straight from new assembly, however 230 was used for trails during the handover, and would have had a more than fair oppurtunity to get mucky out and about!

My apologies.  If I remember rightly ‘230 was the first Nimrod handed over to the RAF so I’d assumed, wrongly, that she’d have been almost fresh from final assembly and almost immaculate.

Fantastic! I remember these flying into Woodford many times, then the hemp ones, and the AEW3s. I think the grey/white is still the best scheme though. 

The Avro Heritage Museum is brilliant, we're actually members too. If anyone is in the Cheshire/Manchester area it's well worth a visit. I believe it may be expanding as well?

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Fantastic! I remember these flying into Woodford many times, then the hemp ones, and the AEW3s. I think the grey/white is still the best scheme though. 

The Avro Heritage Museum is brilliant, we're actually members too. If anyone is in the Cheshire/Manchester area it's well worth a visit. I believe it may be expanding as well?

Plans have been drawn up for an extension to the existing building with planning permission provisionally granted. We just need someone with deep pockets now! Discussions have taken place with the RAF for the acquisition of 4 aircraft which resulted in a 25% success rate but things aren't finalised yet so fingers crossed.

Pete

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gazza l said:

Stunning work, looks great in the Grey/ white scheme.

gazza l

Many thanks, i dont think its every looked any better in any other scheme :) 

16 hours ago, dbay133 said:

The original two tone scheme is my favourite on a mighty hunter.  You have built a superb example here.  Love it.

Graeme 

Thank you very much... Got two more to sink my teeth into, watch this space!

6 hours ago, RMCS said:

Awsome 

😎😎😎

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Id love to make one of my remaining kits an AEW3 Nimrod, however the Cammett/Alleycat conversions cost considerably more than i payed for any of the Nimrods ive got! The museum is great, you wont find a more dedicated team of volunteers anywhere else ;) 

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Plans have been drawn up for an extension to the existing building with planning permission provisionally granted. We just need someone with deep pockets now! Discussions have taken place with the RAF for the acquisition of 4 aircraft which resulted in a 25% success rate but things aren't finalised yet so fingers crossed.

Pete

Certainly.... Ch-ch-ch-changes are coming! And theres much more top secret stuff up in t' air ;)

2 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Yes, another Nimrod.  Lovely build.

Thank you, you can never have enough Nimrods!

2 hours ago, kev67 said:

Great job on a fabulous aircraft, my local model shop was selling these for £9 each at one point a couple of years ago as he over stocked, and they did not sell as well as Airfix hoped 

Id have bought them out. And to think theyre all up at £50 something now...

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Cracking build

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Super looking Nimrod in my favourite scheme for the type.  I'll be happy if mine, when I finally get round to painting it (it's been sitting, patiently, pretty much complete for several months now!), turns out half as good as this.