Dunkirk Tribute Completed

Getting the next project ready for travelling 

Dunkirk is renowned for the myriad of Little Ships that went to the rescue of our troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation

All to many didn't return, this will hopefully be a tribute to those that didn't come back :poppy:

The boat I shall be modelling will be prototypical and based on one of the 31ft 6" (9.6m) Silverette class of boats (the smallest was Tamzine at 14 ft /4.6m) 

0x0_508_13229629995bb7c005185f6

The Silverette was offered with or without wheelhouse. Single or twin screw.

Some of the class are still afloat today

silver-witch_src_1-web

0x0_508_2208378555bc728c72890b

0x0_508_2063602765bc728cbc1344

No hull lines were available, I'm grateful to Mo (ex boatbuilder) for casting his eye over my efforts to replicate the hull form

I wont go into too much detail as to how I formed the Fibreglass hull as it's all been done before.

P1100340 (Copy)

P1100341 (Copy)

The plug is like me, rough around the edges but just about up to the task

P1100344 (Copy)

P1100347 (Copy)

P1100349 (Copy)

I hope you will join me for the one way voyage

Kev

• Like 30

I shall follow this with interest as I am attempting to build a model of the Breda to go with a 'Dunkirk' themed diorama for a competition next year! Have a bit of a family connection with Operation Dynamo as my grandmothers brother, who was with 1st bn Hertfordshire Regiment (and is mentioned a few times in their history from this time) was one of the last away from the beaches, having to eventually swim out to a boat!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wamwig said:

I am attempting to build a model of the Breda to go with a 'Dunkirk' themed diorama

Breda

Dab_II_now_Breda_124_1

A beautiful boat. I hope will share your build and dio on here with us

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

??1/72  ?1/96

A huge for me 1/72 = 5.25" or 133mm

Thanks folks for your support and encouragement, it means a lot. Hopefully they may be a twist or two to entertain you along the way

Kev

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Breda

Dab_II_now_Breda_124_1

A beautiful boat. I hope will share your build and dio on here with us

It is indeed, yes I shall have to create my own topic, it is intended for the 144 diorama competition at the 2020 Model Bus Federation National Show next October (which gives me plenty of time having never build a model boat from scratch before!), basically there are just two rules, it has to be 144 square inches (although not necessarily 12x12) and it has to have at least one bus on it, other than that you can do what you like really, I won the category this year with a WW1 dio called Passchendaele which featured the Roden Ole Bill bus and lots of Vallejo mud!

• Like 1

Thanks, the photo doesn't quite do the mud justice, think the last boats I built were an Airfix Leander class frigate and a cardboard LCA from the plan in Almark Modelworld, both of which would have been back in the 70s, anyway we have digressed too far from your build so I'll leave mine there and start a new topic.

• Like 1

Lovely!  Do you have plenty of other reference pics to work from?  If not, have a look at Kingfisher on the Sandeman Yachts sold pages.  Whilst she's a bit bigger, as a 42' Silver Leaf, she is very original (focsle hatch, exterior helm & pulpit aside) so the pics should give a good idea of the appropriate deck details & fittings for a John Bain designed Silvers yacht of this age.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul yet another beautiful boat I just love these gentleman's yachts for this era

I do have plenty of ref pics (50) from amongst others Sandeman Yachts. Both the Silver Witch and Cervesa both from John Bains Silverette range

Cheers

Kev

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Your thread will be graced my customary support!

So gracious . . .

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Supportive of Mars

Is that like a truss??  :devil:

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

They don't build them like that today.

A bit like us eh!!

:rofl2:

Kev

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thanks Paul yet another beautiful boat I just love these gentleman's yachts for this era

I do have plenty of ref pics (50) from amongst others Sandeman Yachts. Both the Silver Witch and Cervesa both from John Bains Silverette range

Cheers

Kev

Many apologies in advance if teaching you to suck eggs - watch out with some of the reference pics if you are building it to how such a boat would have looked at Dunkirk, as the s/s guardrails on Cervesa are modern upgrades & look very out of place.  The ones shown along the foredeck topsides on your pic of Breda & also all rails on Kingfisher aside from the s/s pulpit are the correct style (in Kingfisher's case, I gather exactly how she left Silver's).  I believe that Kingfisher may currently be having that modern pulpit removed to return her to the correct guard rail configuration around her bows (lines running from the foremost stantion forward down to the deck, keeping the stem clear - see this generic Silver Leaf GA for a clearer pic of the typical bow set-up).  As it is, I know from personal experience that her modern pulpit is very much in the way when deploying or recovering the anchor.

I will be following your build with great interest, as I may end up undertaking a similar project to build a model of Kingfisher in the not too distant future, scale yet to be decided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the info. No eggs were sucked 😉

I had been wondering about rails. S/s pushpit and pulpits felt wrong. Your link shows the railings to be much more in keeping.  

The GA drawing at the top is allegedly from the manufacturers and shows no handrails forward. :hmmm:

On 05/12/2019 at 16:39, longshanks said:

The boat I shall be modelling will be prototypical and based on one of the 31ft 6" (9.6m) Silverette class of boats

Whilst I wont be counting rivets but I do want to have it feeling right.

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

as I may end up undertaking a similar project to build a model of Kingfisher in the not too distant future, scale yet to be decided.

We will look forward to seeing your project develop

Kev

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longshanks said:

The GA drawing at the top is allegedly from the manufacturers and shows no handrails forward. :hmmm:

Whilst I wont be counting rivets but I do want to have it feeling right.

That does look like it could be a Silvers drawing, as it is the same style as the one I linked to, which is originally from a book on Silvers that was printed in period.  As all were hand built in the traditional style unlike today's GRP moulded craft, the catalogue / brochure pics were essentially the default option but if the customer wanted alterations they were able to incorporate them easily.  E.g. Kingfisher's interior layout is very different from that Silver Leaf GA I posted a link to, as she was built with an additional heads betweeen the owner stateroom and crew focsle, and the galley and main heads are located aft of the main saloon.  There are also a load of things on deck which don't match either - again, could be customer request, or just later improvements by the builders to the original design.

I share your view on the need for things to look right - my benchmark is whether something could have been fitted (or modified) in period by a knowledgeable owner, and this is the same line I am taking with a 52 year old Volvo I am (slowly) restoring, where any upgrades are all being / been done in a way that could have been added when new by the supplying dealer.  It is possible that the smaller Silverettes didn't have them at all (or just left off that drawing for clarity...), but if you do want to add guard rails, I reckon that ones based around the size of Cervesa's side rails fwd of the wheelhouse, using the same position of the four vertical stantions but with painted stantions (and possibly a timber handrail), would be in keeping.  Thinking about it more, I have just searched online quickly, and the guardrails on this Silverette look very appropriate, especially with the triangulating struts bracing each end stantion to the deck.  Also seems that the Silverettes may not have had the timber hand rail cappings used on their larger sisters

5 minutes ago, longshanks said:

We will look forward to seeing your project develop

Thank you - don't hold your breath though!  I have quite a few projects already on the go already.  However I may start with a smaller half-model that the owners could keep on board if they wish, which may be ready for this time next year.

• Like 1

Hi Guys thanks again for all your comments/likes/info.

Cleaned up the hull and added a rubbing strake

P1100358 (Copy)

P1100359 (Copy)

False deck added to stern area and started work on the bulkheads around the wheelhouse. As there is much detail I'd like to make it so the wheelhouse area drops in, time will tell

P1100356 (Copy)

Sorry bit blurred but you get the idea

P1100357 (Copy)

Not a particularly a good pic but a reminder if you are trying to make curved/odd shaped bulkhead use individual pieces and stick them together as you go

P1100360 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 15

Some more progress made .....

The decks have a very pronounced camber so on the aft deck i made some curved beams

P1100361 (Copy)

The fore deck consists of a couple of bulkheads and centre beam on which to form a laminated deck to follow the curve

P1100374 (Copy)

P1100362 (Copy)

The lamination spot CA glued to hull so that the shape could be formed

P1100365 (Copy)

and cleaned up

P1100368 (Copy)

P1100371 (Copy)

and the now curved deck removed . . . .

P1100375 (Copy)

The central bulkhead will be removed and work can continue with saloon interior

Thanks for stopping by and the support

Kev