Dunkirk Tribute Completed

On 15/12/2019 at 08:36, Hewy said:

the much photographed biro gets another outing

:hmmm:Now there's an idea! A model of a Parker pen but what scale to do it in??

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

I would get so p'd off.

Lol You say that after painting how many figures? Now that to me would be boring 😉

Kev

• Haha 4

Just now, longshanks said:

:hmmm:Now there's an idea! A model of a Parker pen but what scale to do it in??

Lol You say that after painting how many figures? Now that to me would be boring 😉

Kev

Haha. It's different. I get so irritated with super glue. I just cannot use it without making a complete mess so anything with PE winds me up and boats have a tendency to come with tonnes of pe. Haha

• Haha 1

Hi Folks,

Not forgotten this beauty, just playing with some ideas in the background

I do have a question that you may be able to help me with.

The boats I have pics of all show a white deck with a wood edging. I'm wondering if the white decks are a resin product to waterproof the deck/ceiling. In which case what would the decks have been in the 1930s

Thanks for looking 

Kev

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

... I do have a question that you may be able to help me with.

The boats I have pics of all show a white deck with a wood edging. I'm wondering if the white decks are a resin product to waterproof the deck/ceiling. In which case what would the decks have been in the 1930s ...

Not an answer to your question Kev, just a thought.  Some vintage yachts I've seen had a canvas material covering the decks & cabin roof.  The canvas was painted white.   I'm guessing the decks/roof were make of plywood & the painted canvas was used for waterproofing.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, Red Five said:

I get so irritated with super glue. I just cannot use it without making a complete mess so anything with PE winds me up and boats have a tendency to come with tonnes of pe. 

I used to be exactly the same.  Then I started using Gator’s glue with PE & my life was transformed.  Sometimes I back it up / reinforce with thin CA later, but most of the time that’s not necessary.  You have time to position really accurately, it doesn’t end up with half your model stuck to your fingers / trousers / cat, but in the end it is secure.  Try it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I used to be exactly the same.  Then I started using Gator’s glue with PE & my life was transformed.  Sometimes I back it up / reinforce with thin CA later, but most of the time that’s not necessary.  You have time to position really accurately, it doesn’t end up with half your model stuck to your fingers / trousers / cat, but in the end it is secure.  Try it!

Is it available in uk? 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Is it available in uk? 

Yes.  The link is to the thin blend; there is also the original (thicker) blend - I use both

P.S when you first try it you will think I’m nuts; there appears to be effect at all at first. But keep the faith.  It’s brilliant stuff.  You can even clean it off with water before it dries.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes.  The link is to the thin blend; there is also the original (thicker) blend - I use both

P.S when you first try it you will think I’m nuts; there appears to be effect at all at first. But keep the faith.  It’s brilliant stuff.  You can even clean it off with water before it dries.

Is it basically like gorilla glue? I'll give it a go.

@Ex-FAAWAFU probably me being thick but the link does not lead to a gator product ??

20 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Not an answer to your question Kev, just a thought.  Some vintage yachts I've seen had a canvas material covering the decks & cabin roof.  The canvas was painted white.   I'm guessing the decks/roof were make of plywood & the painted canvas was used for waterproofing.

Hi John Thanks for that. I was aware that the old sailing ships used canvas on the deckhouse roofs. I didn't know it was used on vintage yachts for the deck. I was thinking perhaps the quality of joinery on these gentlemens yachts might be of a standard to  keep the water out . . . .

Kev

• Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 17:29, longshanks said:

... I was aware that the old sailing ships used canvas on the deckhouse roofs. I didn't know it was used on vintage yachts for the deck. I was thinking perhaps the quality of joinery on these gentlemens yachts might be of a standard to  keep the water out . . . .

I agree.  There's not much info about the use of canvas on boat decks ... & wood decks look prettier, too.:D

Interestingly, I did find this - https://www.tonygrove.com/articles/nordic-folk-boat.php .  It's a very long article describing the restoration on a Nordic boat, including installing a new canvas over plywood deck.

The author is a fan of canvas covered decks stating - "I have seen traditionally laid canvas on boats that were around a hundred years old and every time I am excited to see that there are very few problems with the decks and, if anything, because they are able to breathe and work with the boat, they are usually the reason the boats are in such good shape."

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Time for an update, been experimenting with bits . . .

I think I've found the colouration of the timber

P1100390 (Copy)

The wheelhouse floor. Burnt sienna oil over Vallejo Buff

P1100392 (Copy)

You can just make out the outline of the engine and ancillary access hatches scribed into the plastic

The door to the heads. To light I feel needs to be redone

P1100388 (Copy)

Whilst working I wondered if I'd have ever mentioned a couple of aids I would be lost without

A simple long clamp for use when shaping and trimming to size 

P1100379 (Copy)

A ruler ex 'The Range' only a couple of pounds in the craft dept. Metal edge on one side. The grid system is invaluable for lining up. 90' and parallel cuts. I would be lost without this.

P1100381 (Copy)

Finally whilst I had the fibreglass stuff out. For a future project .. 

Based on the plans for the Rose of Portloe. 14' 6" (4420mm) long. Incidentally the size of the smallest craft that went to Dunkerque. I intend to form the hull with only two layers of tissue to get a scale thickness

Lines 1 24 (Copy) (Copy) (Copy)

The layers

P1100377 (Copy)

That's all for now I trust all our viewers are of a sober disposition :hmmm:

Seasons Greeting to one and all

Kev

• Like 14

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

I trust all our viewers are of a sober disposition :hmmm:

Seasons Greeting to one and all

Thought I might be by now but not a chance  :drink:

Great work so far on both boats :drunk:

Best wishes to you and your family

beefy

• Thanks 1

On 26/12/2019 at 22:38, Martian Hale said:

What's a sober disposition when its at home?

:hmmm: Yes I've seen you driving your Mars Rover at Telford. Just as well they don't have breathalyzers . . . .

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Maestro

Cheque is in the post

Mixed bagged today

For some strange reason I decided to use a one piece mold

P1100383 (Copy)

and it bit me on the bottom

P1100385 (Copy)

The good news is the skin is 0.5mm thick

P1100393 (Copy)

P1100395 (Copy)

it could perhaps play a role in the up and coming dio.

To tie in with

P1100398 (Copy)

P1100397 (Copy)

P1100399 (Copy)

I must admit I had a large whiskey before taking the Dremel to a perfectly good hull. Needs tidying, edges perhaps to suit the planking

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 15

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

I must admit I had a large whiskey before taking the Dremel to a perfectly good hull. 

I see, so that's what you mean by a sober disposition!

Enlightened of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

... it bit me on the bottom ...

... I must admit I had a large whiskey before taking the Dremel to a perfectly good hull. ...

I thought maybe a hungry alien (could be a Martian) took a bite out of your a.. :fraidnot:, I mean your hull. :laugh:

John

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I thought maybe a hungry alien (could be a Martian) took a bite out of your a.. :fraidnot:

When I was thinking in terms of damage to the larger boat I was thinking in terms of a cannon strike from a passing German fighter. Or perhaps a collision in the chaos in the waters of the beach. Even a piece of debris falling from a dying vessel.......

Never for one minute did I consider an A*** biting alien :shrug:

Kev

• Haha 8