Aoshima FW-189 Instructions (1/72)?

Kushan_Farsight

Afternoon all,

Before i started my P-47, I had begun to paint some parts on the sprues of an old kit i had picked up in a bag from a car boot a couple of years ago.

From the small clipping of the box, i can tell its an Aoshima 1/72 FW-189. However aside from some poor condition decals, there was no instructions at all.

'How hard can it be, its only a simple looking kit' i thought to myself............ optimistically. As soon as i started trying to put a build sequence together, i was stumped. Ebay came to my aid when i was able to fire an email to a nice old Spanish fellow who kindly offered to scan in his instructions - but silly me forgot most messages are deleted after 90 days - so when i came to look at them again, they were not there!

So, if any of you would be so kind, i would greatly appreciate you having a quick glance at your stashes to see if one of these are about? Heres the cover art to jog memories!

1023915-11104-30-720.jpg

Unfortunately, ScaleMates has 17 different instructions for FW-189 kits, and from what i can tell, none are built like the Aoshima kits, so cant be used! if anyone is successful at finding them, i will upload them onto ScaleMates to avoid this pain for future modelers.

Many thanks,

Kushan_Farsight. 

(P.S - is this ok to go in this section of the forum? or would this technically have to go in the "Wanted" Section of the For Sale area? )

3 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Might be something here, you may have to join....https://www.galaxykits.com/instructions/

Unless a member can see more than a guest, it looks like whilst that site has a mass of instructions, and even some Aoshima aircraft kits (a rarity) it doesn't have that FW-189!! - The quest continues! 

https://www.scalenews.de/focke-wulf-fw-189-a-2-mg-81z-lafette-walkaround-55/ -  just adding this as its a nice reference link in case i forget 😛 

I must admit that the thought of 17+ different Fw189 kits is not something I would ever have imagined - I assume that several of these are the same toolings under different labels?

As a fairly experienced modeller (since 1956) I've wondered at times just how difficult it would be to make many of the older kits without the instructions, given the smaller number of parts and the generally straightforward breakdown.  Can you say just what is the problem in this case?

Edited by Graham Boak

Agree with Graham, but you have answered that, something mystifies you and you are unsure how to proceed.

If it were me and I dearly wanted to make an FW189, I'd get another kit with instructions. Sometimes a quest is just not worth the effort. 

@bil you are a star! I will give you a shout then! Many thanks 👍

@Graham Boak & @FinnAndersen -  its not a case that its 'impossible' to build it without the instructions, but its more because of the methodical way i like to put my kits together, following the steps and building sub-assemblies before it all comes together in the end. Ive also been out of the game for a few years building, so its not all quite second nature yet!   

The transparencies confuse me a bit, as i cant tell what needs to go on/in before the crew pod is complete. There seems to be movable ailerons, flaps and rudder elements too, and i would like to not stuff them up either! :D 

I also am not 100% sure i have all the parts. i am pretty sure i have everything i need, but until you have instructions there always might be a bit that has gone rogue- nothing worse than getting 1/2 way through a build and your missing some mounting ring or connecting element! 

One piece i am missing for sure is one of the 2 bladed props for the engines. Luckily i do have the other one. so i have a question here - can milliput be used to create a 2 part mould of the original prop, and then once hard and the original prop has been removed be used again as the 'resin', pushed into the mold and let harden? watching the likes of Serkan and others on here making their own resin casts definitely is going to push me down that route at some point for some funky improvements and additions , but can i do a half passable job with the 'putt? 

49 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

@Graham Boak & @FinnAndersen -  its not a case that its 'impossible' to build it without the instructions...

No, of course not, but you have the problem of knowing where the little pieces go and how to turn them.

More seriously is the problem with the missing propellor. I use some blue and white mould making paste I got from an art store to make quick moulds; look here https://espritcomposite.com/rtv-polyaddition/27-silicone-pate-ab-3535.html . As a matter of fact my Spitfire prototype in the RFI section has propeller blades made that way. If I need to use the moulds more than 4-5 times, I make a proper silicone one. 

HTH

Finn

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

can milliput be used to create a 2 part mould of the original prop, and then once hard and the original prop has been removed be used again as the 'resin', pushed into the mold and let harden? watching the likes of Serkan and others on here making their own resin casts definitely is going to push me down that route at some point for some funky improvements and additions , but can i do a half passable job with the 'putt? 

I don't think that would work, unfortunately. The Milliput you used to form the replacement prop would bond with the mould.

• Julien locked this topic