Scratch-built 1/350 HMS Prince of Wales (R09) - Build Notes

davecov

Superb, and very well explained.  Building the ski jumps took me straight back to the fun I had in altering the profile of the Airfix Lusty to turn it into Ark Royal.  Your task was much more complicated and you make it look simple!

It has, however, had the effect of making me wonder whether I should recommence my Ark 5 once I’m done with Ark 3!

• Like 4

Thank you. 😀

I can remember your build of HMS Ark Royal (V) as I followed it with much interest. I always like to see somebody not be afraid of hacking a kit about in order to get what they want!

Dave

• Like 1

The Royal Navy asked the shipbuilders Babcock International in Rosyth Dockyard to liaise with me when I built the QE and they provided all of the plans and drawings I required.

Dave

9 hours ago, davecov said:

The Royal Navy asked the shipbuilders Babcock International in Rosyth Dockyard to liaise with me when I built the QE and they provided all of the plans and drawings I required.

Dave

So, secret squirrel stuff, and not to be shared with general public then for the purpose of scratch building? 🤪

28 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Did Airfix share any thoughts of producing a (1:350) kit of their own? With a removable deck it would provide somewhere to store my (excessive) stash?

yes, it was detailed here

also, it was mentioned in this Airfix Workbench blog, towards the bottom

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/all-hail-the-mighty-vulcan

Airfix are calling for expressions of interest to evaluate whether or not they should tool up and release an IMM kit of her and her sister.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RussellE said:

So, secret squirrel stuff, and not to be shared with general public then for the purpose of scratch building? 🤪

A bit like that. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to share the information I was given with the modelling world I am not allowed to.

Dave

• Sad 1

Typical secret squirrel stuff then...

I recently discovered how difficult if not impossible it is to acquire decent plans of a WW2 carrier from a certain source with a 3 letter name, which we won't mention here, because, heaven forbid, someone might hurt themselves on designs nearly 100 years old...

Not quite the same thing I know, given that one is in service and national security is at stake, but certainly frustrating for those of us with a penchant to self torture in miniature 🤪

• Like 1

That’s what I call full fat hairy chested modelling. Just read through from the beginning and can only say

:mike:

utterly mind blowing fantastic work

and as an aircraft modeller I have to admit a sneaking admiration for ship ( ie “real” - hush now) modelling

thanks for showing

• Like 2

I just stumbled across this today. I can only echo what the others have said: fantastic job. 

As it happens I'm wrestling with a 1/1250 model of HMS Queen Elizabeth at the moment so this is inspiring, useful and a bit humbling in equal measure.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, Midland1965 said:

I just stumbled across this today. I can only echo what the others have said: fantastic job. 

As it happens I'm wrestling with a 1/1250 model of HMS Queen Elizabeth at the moment so this is inspiring, useful and a bit humbling in equal measure.

Thanks everybody.

In 2014 I was commissioned by Airfix to build a 1/1200 scale HMS Queen Elizabeth for the Royal Navy but had to stop building it because it was considered too small by the Royal Navy. They asked me to make a 1/350 version instead. I completed the 1/350 version in three months but the 1/1200 has never been worked on since:

spacer.png

With two 1/350 QE Class scratchbuilds completed and a third underway at the moment, I find the 1/1200 version much too small to work on now and I doubt it will ever be finished. It wasn't wasted effort though as it gave me plenty of assistance in getting the angles and profiling correct for the first of the bigger builds. As HMS Queen Elizabeth was in drydock being built at the time, it was the only way I could visualise the full thing.

Dave

• Like 2

1/1200?  Even for a huge ship like Big Betty, that’s going to tax the eyes.

Dave, since you’ve built 3 1/350s and started a 1/1200, you must know more about portraying these ships than anyone alive.

• Like 1

These pictures from 2014 show the 1/1200 QE build alongside it's big sister:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_019.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_059.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_060.JPG

Whilst the larger model is more spectacular, the smaller one doesn't take up much room!

Dave

• Like 2

That 1/1200 looks very tidy. I would be very happy if I could get such a clean finish. 

Can I ask for your help on a couple of questions?

What primer-filler do you use? I've not found one that sands well.

Can you suggest any references for the deck vehicles? I'd like to include some on my model but, whilst I've founds a few photos, nothing to be able to scale off so far to scratch build them - I'm assuming I can't just buy them in 1/1250.