Latin American Colours then and now - at 18

Basilisk

On 12/7/2019 at 4:44 PM, CliffB said:

A great idea.  It might re-start my interest in the Chaco War!

I've a Bolivian DH-9 just waiting to be built.

Perfect, Cliff :). I have three Blue Rider sets filed and could b tempted by Chaco too :)

Martin

I have a bucket load of FCM and Aztec sheets covering numerous subjects as well as the Albatros decals for the Douglas Invader which would suit this GB.

I've got the Air Britain book on the Harvard/Texan in Latin American service, seeing as I have a decal sheet to match I can see me plucking an Academy Texan from the stash for this GB, however, there are so many interesting choices I might get swayed by something else.

Choices, choices, choices...

5 hours ago, Wez said:

I have a bucket load of FCM and Aztec sheets covering numerous subjects as well as the Albatros decals for the Douglas Invader which would suit this GB.

I've got the Air Britain book on the Harvard/Texan in Latin American service, seeing as I have a decal sheet to match I can see me plucking an Academy Texan from the stash for this GB, however, there are so many interesting choices I might get swayed by something else.

Choices, choices, choices...

Albatross for the the Invader, Wez? What does that cover, mate? I have the FCM for the Invader but it is inaccurate :(.

Martin

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Albatross for the the Invader, Wez? What does that cover, mate? I have the FCM for the Invader but it is inaccurate :(.

Martin

I'm surprised you haven't got this one Martin, it's right up your street!

It is catalogue number ALC72014, titled "Naughty Invaders" and has a couple of Korean War and a Vietnam era USAF examples, an Algerian based French Invader but it also has Invaders from the following air forces:

Biafra

Cuba

Hondura

Indonesia

Portugal

Congo

In what way is the FCM sheet inaccurate?  I quite like the Columbian aircraft and wanted to use the Chilean decals to make a target tug at some time.

Oo... That sounds very good, and I still have an A-26C in the pile. I cant see it available on line anywhere :(. I've had plans for a French one - the last in service - for that.

Sorry but I cant remember about the FCM. I will take a look. I do remember that I had to draw and print my own national insignia for my Chilean macIne, though. I cant remember why. :(

M

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Wez @Wez! I realised today that I have a Delta Decals set for the B-26, covering Turkey, Biafra, Honduras, Congo, CIA & Taiwan, and others.... One day :). In fact you have - using your expression - "piqued my interest" in the Latin Invader. :)

Martin

On 2/14/2020 at 9:19 AM, Wez said:

This one's gone a bit quiet, surely it needs a nudge...

Indeed it does :winkgrin:

On 2/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Count me in, Peter. I have a few ideas, as many might imagine ;) and I promise, no more Mustangs for a while ;)

Martin

Great, you are on the list.

Any more takers?

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

Hoping to be able to join in  - conditional on finding a suitable T-6 Texan kit at a model show this year.

I bought an Academy Texan during 2019, and opening the box I found this sheet - 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aztec-models-48-72-035-north-american-at-6-texan-coin-series--1235669

Decals for Brazil, Columbia, Guatemala, Mexico, Cuba, Uruguay.  

The kit has been built - but the marking that really interests me is a Fuerza Aérea Mexicana flown by Capt. Luis Norlega Medrano,  who sank a U-Boat in June 1942.

Must be quite a story (that I don't know) - but worthy of a model.

Can't think of any other suitable subjects in my stash.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 7:20 AM, Pauly Boy said:

Sign me up!

I'm thinking, B26 Invader, Bay of Pigs, Rebel Airforce!

All good.

Paul

Done. Sounds like an interesting choice.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:14 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Hoping to be able to join in  - conditional on finding a suitable T-6 Texan kit at a model show this year.

I bought an Academy Texan during 2019, and opening the box I found this sheet - 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aztec-models-48-72-035-north-american-at-6-texan-coin-series--1235669

Decals for Brazil, Columbia, Guatemala, Mexico, Cuba, Uruguay.  

The kit has been built - but the marking that really interests me is a Fuerza Aérea Mexicana flown by Capt. Luis Norlega Medrano,  who sank a U-Boat in June 1942.

Must be quite a story (that I don't know) - but worthy of a model.

Can't think of any other suitable subjects in my stash.

Sure you are. With nearly every Latin American country flying the T-6 until the early 1990s, there are indeed lots of choices, but chosen subject does indeed have an interesting story.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Peter

Please sign me in , I would like to build a Brazilian Air Force Thunderbolt (if I can find the decals ..) ..

All the best

Patrice

FCM Decals do a sheet for Brazilian P-47s.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FCM48020?result-token=mzsyl

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FCM72020?result-token=mzsyl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:46 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Peter

Please sign me in , I would like to build a Brazilian Air Force Thunderbolt (if I can find the decals ..) ..

All the best

Patrice

Took a while, but you are finally on the list.

I have to say I am surprised that there isn't more interest in this topic - maybe because there wasn't any WWII action to speak off?

Still, tones of interesting models to choose.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I have to say I am surprised that there isn't more interest in this topic - maybe because there wasn't any WWII action to speak off?

Cheers, Peter

Its my experience too, mate. As you say, there were some wonderful schemes from that part of the world. Most saw some kind of action. Hey ho! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Cheers, Peter

Yes it is a shame, such a bewildering variety of types spanning over the years, there should be something for everyone here , AFV, ship, figure and even car/truck/motorcycle modellers.

46 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Its my experience too, mate. As you say, there were some wonderful schemes from that part of the world. Most saw some kind of action. Hey ho! 

That could be one reason although the Brazilians and Mexicans did take an active part.

@Basilisk what about getting together with @Col., his Africa GB has made it to the poll and its list of participants does contain some of the usual suspects in the list for this GB but I'm concerned that having got through to the bunfight it might not get through the poll.  A combined African and Latin GB may have greater chance of success?  Just a thought, truth told I want both of these GB's get through the poll.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wez said:

@Basilisk what about getting together with @Col., his Africa GB has made it to the poll and its list of participants does contain some of the usual suspects in the list for this GB but I'm concerned that having got through to the bunfight it might not get through the poll.  A combined African and Latin GB may have greater chance of success?  Just a thought, truth told I want both of these GB's get through the poll.

I personally don't like the idea of having a combined African and South American GB as these region are very different. And if it does make it to the voting, then we will see what happens.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I personally don't like the idea of having a combined African and South American GB as these region are very different. And if it does make it to the voting, then we will see what happens.

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

Fair enough, it's your prerogative and just a suggestion.

Personally I want both GBs to go through.

Like I said, there's something for pretty much anyone in this GB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 3:55 PM, Wez said:

Like I said, there's something for pretty much anyone in this GB.

I think so too.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:51 PM, Grandboof said:

I would like to join in  Should be a GB full of interesting subjects 

Martin H

Thanks for joining Martin.

Anyone else interested?

Cheers, Peter

Very welcome idea!

Something French maybe?many Mirage types operated over there...

Or a Caberra.. if British is fancied more

Not sure why, but I am fascinated by the variety and classy aircraft Peru operated...not much British though I fear!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...