Latin American Colours then and now - at 18

Basilisk

I received my copy of Hikoki's "British Combat Aircraft in Latin Amerika" earlier this week and what a book it is!

And the thought crossed my mind that this could make a great topic for a Group Build.

But I suggest to modify the coverage to "British Aircraft in Latin America" for a slightly wider appeal.

There are tones of types to choose from in great colour schemes not seen too often on models.

Edit:

Looks like no one is interested in British aircraft used in Latin America. So I changed the topic to include EVERYTHING from the time of the Conquistador to now.

Edit 2:

I gave it another thought and decided to rename this GB "Latin American colours then and now". This will allow civil colour schemes - after all, the only Spitfire in Latin America had a civil registration. But it also means that British military aircraft used in the Falkland conflict are no longer part of this GB.

Cheers, Peter

Britmodellers interested are:

01. Basilisk

02. modelling minion

03. Corsairfoxfouruncle

04. CliffB

05. Angus Tura

06. Moggy

07. Stephen

08. Wez

09. Valkyrie

10. zebra

11. Foxbat

12. Arniec

13. Torbjorn

14. Giorgio N

15. RidgeRunner

16. Pauly Boy

17. theplasticsurgeon

18. TEMPESTMK5

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 4:44 AM, modelling minion said:

Right up my street Peter!

So yes you can count me in, the only issue is deciding what to build as there are a lot to choose from. Choices of the top of my head are Argentinian Lancaster, Brazilian Meteor or Venezuelan Jet Provost.

There is indeed a lot to choose from going all the way back to biplanes.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:58 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Would this include the Caribbean ? A Cuban Sea Fury may be interesting ? 🧐 If not they're were Canberra’s and I think Meteors in use by a number of A.F.’s.

Yes it does. Other interesting options are Dominican Mosquito or Baufighter.

And of course it also covers the British aircraft in use with the RAF and RN during and after the Falkland conflict.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 3:44 AM, CliffB said:

A great idea.  It might re-start my interest in the Chaco War!

I've a Bolivian DH-9 just waiting to be built.

Cheers

Unfortunately doesn't look that way as no interest in the topic.

Looks I have to come up with a wider appeal.

Cheers, Peter

• Sad 2

I'm up for this, it would be good if it covered all types of military equipment in Latin American service - more inclusive as it would include something for the target floaty and tracky builders to make.

Count me in.

This sort of thing is right up @RidgeRunner street!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

Nice to see a bit of a surge of interest in the topic :thumbsup: I gave it another thought and decided to rename this GB "Latin American colours then and now". This will allow civil colour schemes - after all, the only Spitfire in Latin America had a civil registration. But it also means that British military aircraft used in the Falkland conflict are no longer part of this GB.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, Angus Tura said:

Very sorry small wars didn't make it this year, and so, up for this next year.

Alan

I was disappointing too as it was one of the BGs I wanted to participate in. But it is still in the mix for the voting next year and hopefully it gets the necessary votes then.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:45 PM, Moggy said:

Brilliant idea!

...the list extends to most British-produced aircraft, sp. after 1945 :)

Cheers, Moggy

Thanks. And the choice is massive.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:55 AM, modelling minion said:

Some great choices there @Moggy, really like that Brazilian Whirlwind.

Indeed. And it will be challenging to select a build - for me at least.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:22 AM, Stephen said:

I think it's a great idea, we could  call it "South of the border"

On 12/19/2019 at 5:30 AM, Moggy said:

Please don't - it is perceived as demeaning in Latin America :(

Cheers, Moggy

It is indeed and therefore not a name I would like to use.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:35 AM, Wez said:

I'm up for this, it would be good if it covered all types of military equipment in Latin American service - more inclusive as it would include something for the target floaty and tracky builders to make.

Count me in.

This sort of thing is right up @RidgeRunner street!

It does and civil too as long as the equipment was used by a Latin American operator.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, modelling minion said:

Looks like we are slowly gaining interest!

I think that @Wez's idea of opening up the GB to various "targets" is a good one as it broadens the appeal of the GB and can help us gain the interest and numbers that we need.

Exactly my thoughts. I may suggest two galleries, one for British made hardware and one for everything else.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:10 AM, Valkyrie said:

Yes I’d be up for this. Brazilian or Argentinian Navy Chopper or A4 

Great.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:09 AM, zebra said:

Count me in. And apologies, I thought I’d already replied, obviously not - I’d have been in if it was just British stuff in S America, but can also see it’ll have broader appeal now.

Done.

17 hours ago, Wez said:

Peter @Basilisk I think you need to start a list, it's a good way of keeping count and maintaining momentum.

Indeed - and we are already 1/3 there!

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Just stumbled over this and I'm all excited. Got four potential builds in mind already so I think that means I'm in 😊

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 1

I am interested in this GB as well. I have got a Mirage III and a few Skyhawks still in the stash to be build as Argentinian aircraft. O and a canberra with Argentinian decals.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, Foxbat said:

Just stumbled over this and I'm all excited. Got four potential builds in mind already so I think that means I'm in 😊

Andy

Great, and you know that you have to build all four ;)

On 12/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, Arniec said:

I am interested in this GB as well. I have got a Mirage III and a few Skyhawks still in the stash to be build as Argentinian aircraft. O and a canberra with Argentinian decals.

Cheers,

Looks like a nice choice!

Any takers for lucky 13 in the list?

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk

21 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Why not? Where do I sign?

That is the spirit. I did the signing for you and added your name to the list.

13 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm sure interested in a GB that would explore some unusual subject, please count me in !

Thanks to support this GB which should result in colours and markings not see to often.

Close to the half way point.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...