Increasing the Matt of a varnish

PhantomBigStu

I heard adding a bit of IPA makes the varnish dry faster, and hence matter. Never tried it though as what I have is matt enough for my needs :)

Might be worth a test though, let us know!

Arnaud

Maybe some Tamiya X21 flat base, I've used it recently in Klear to give a flattish finish. About 20 % in Klear gives quite a flat finish, 10% is satinish. You'd maybe only want about 5 % in your W&N flat to make it flatter.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Maybe some Tamiya X21 flat base, I've used it recently in Klear to give a flattish finish. About 20 % in Klear gives quite a flat finish, 10% is satinish. You'd maybe only want about 5 % in your W&N flat to make it flatter.

Steve.

3 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

There is a new product on the block.  Mr rapid thinner. Seems to be for this purpose.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=123592345716495&id=104742644268132

I've never used it myself so its just a thought. 

Guessing they are both laquer type acrylics like regular tamiya and mr hobby paints that aren't suited to brushing? Though Thanks anyway given me the idea that perhaps W&N do such a product, and lo and behold they do, though only in large expensive 250ml pots, so I have to keep looking 

3 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

There is a new product on the block.  Mr rapid thinner. Seems to be for this purpose.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=123592345716495&id=104742644268132

I've never used it myself so its just a thought. 

That is just a hotter thinner that doesn't allow the matt lacquers and metallics to settlle so much that they become satin, as can happen with their levelling thinner.

X21 Flat Base is the answer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

a 500ml pot of varnish needs a lot more effort than a 250ml pot, and now its coming out as matt......

Aaaah, the old, when you've finished stirring, stir it some more syndrome. ;) :D

Steve.