Authentic Airliners 1:144 BAC1-11 KLM

My latest build is de BAC1-11-300 in KLM colours. KLM leased this aircraft from Eagle Airways for a few months in the 60's, while waiting for their DC-9's to arrive. KLM flew this aircraft in full KLM colours, but only a few pictures exist online.

This build is part of the "100 years KLM group build" over at the Dutch Modelbrouwer forums. The kit is by Authentic Airliners and is excellent as per usual. The decals were by F-decal, but the fit wasn't too great (the vertical stabilizer decal for example was way too large). The window and flightdeck decals by Authentic Airliner decals were great too. 

I made the wire antennas too short, but fixing that would cause more damage than it would solve, so I decided to let them be (and also they are not tight enough, which tends to happen over time. I'm going to experiment with different methods of applying them to prevent this from happening again). I am happy with the way the engines turned out. I used a different paint on a recommendation from my buddy Vintage Jet (Inspire Chrome) and that works really great! It's expensive but it gives a clear shining metal result.

At any rate the pictures:

a9490760f4228c6749ada454918c6fd5.jpg

0ba9a0589fe48e1da2f412c2fe00e6d3.jpg

765f3488fb73469f05e802e180453316.jpg

38ea903c0d40e7537e830159e58de7bb.jpg

7fff30b6aa7613bd384bd0c6bcc3a42e.jpg

My next build will be the Zvezda 767-300, in the latest KLM livery this aircraft has flown in.

Thanks for looking and see you next time!

• Like 41

Hi Martijn, congratulations on another beautiful build. The 1-11 really suits the KLM livery and the Authentic Airliners windows set it off to perfection. The 3D effect of the windscreen in the second photo is amazing.  I suspect your decal problems may be due to the F-DCAL sheet being designed to fit the Airfix kit but they certainly aren't obvious from the finished model.

Wire antennae are always a pain. I usually use stretched sprue but that can be hit or miss. A modelling friend who builds prize-winning 1/72 WW1 biplanes rigs his models with Caenis thread which is normally used for tying fishing flies. He gets amazing results and I might give it a try the next time I need to make a wire aerial.

Dave G

What a nice model, congratulations.

If clearly a modern stylized jet, it still shows the sort of mildly chubby appearance of the first designs.

I use to travel on those in Argentina (Austral Líneas Aéreas).

One had a fatal accident flying from San Miguel de Tucumán (where I then lived) to Buenos Aires (where I was born and lived as a child).

The metal detail indeed looks good.

Cheers

Hi Martijn,

What a lovely little 1-11! Sistership to the SAS 1-11 recently presented here by John @Viking I believe.

Very impressed with your nmf on the engines too, might have to try out this paint.

For my aerials I use the very fine copper wire found in small electric motors. Whenever any electrical device reaches the end of its life I always open it up to see if there's any wire I can use for detailing it's amazing how much you can collect this way.

Kurt's 1-11 kits really are gorgeous, I've got a few of his -500s but might have to get one of these -300's it's a little cutie!

Great weathering and photography as usual, I especially like the soot around the thrust reversed grills.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Not normally an airliner man but this is just lovely! Beautifully done.

Have you considered EZline or similar for your aerials - it is elastic so doesn't slacken (and can put up with a little abuse if you accidentally touch the aerial) and the finer size would be good for this small scale being almost invisible like on pictures of the real aircraft.

Cheers

Malcolm

Many thanks for all the nice words guys! That is really, really appreciated. 

Also everyone thanks for the tips for the aerial antennas. Many more options it would seem. I'm going to experiment a bit for future builds.

21 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I suspect your decal problems may be due to the F-DCAL sheet being designed to fit the Airfix kit but they certainly aren't obvious from the finished model.

I thought so too at first Dave, but I have the Airfix kit as well and after checking, the decals wouldn't have fitted this kit properly either.

Lovely 1-11, British Eagle leased them to several airlines while retaining their UK registrations.

It seems to suit any livery with a cheatline. How about G-ATPK in Swissair colours next?

sm44-462.jpg

Cheers

John

Very nice model. I remember the BAC 1-11 take off’s as a child, watching at the runway with my dad. The enormous thunder they produced... Great memories. Thanks for sharing. Nice paint job 👍

What a precious little gem you have created there - I am glad to have found it but sadly it had already dropping back onto page 3 of the forum where so many civil builds quickly end heading up due to the lack of viewers civil and 1/144 commercial aviation subject interest.

As Eric said, its great to see a 1-11 looking like the real thing in shape, smashing choice of livery too - not expected to see this built.

10/10 from me

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, Alan P said:

What a little gem 👏👏👏

I had no idea this wet/dry(?) lease existed. Great subject and a lovely model.

@Mark would appreciate this 😉 Looking forward to seeing the 76.

Alan

Sorry I've been absent from here for a while but thanks @Alan P for the head's up on this gorgeous reproduction of a scheme that I also never knew existed on a BAC 1-11.

Cheat lines? Whatever happened to those?? Airliners should have cheatlines!

• Like 2