Beriev MBR-2 M-17 scratch conversion of Avia/Eastern Express kit (1/72)

JWM

Hi,

Beriev MBR-2 was one of the most numberous small flying boat of WW2 and the basic such machine in Soviet Union.  This type apeared in 1930. initially with open canopies and M-17 engine, later (as MBR-2 bis) with pilot cockpit closed, a closed turret, added flaps and redesigned tail as well as M 34 engine

The Avia/Eastern Express kit of Beriev MBR-2 bis looks in box very promising. However after careful look and comparison with drawing and photos some flaws became obvious. Among them the most important are too deep and unrealistic parts of wings and tail covered by fabric and too sophisticated shape of hull.  Building earlier variant  with M 17 requires introduction of all changies between those two variants.

So, constructing this model I did following main changies:

1. change of shape of bottom of hull

2. filling up deep holes between ribs (i used Tamiya resin putty to avoid future deformation of wings) and reconstruct all ribs on wing and tailplane and remove flaps.

3. reforming rear part of fuselage and fin 

4. Build new engine cover.

5. Replaement of 2 blade metal prop by 4 blades wood one

6,Removing of cockpit fairings 

7. Additional detailing of MGs and 200 kg depth charges

Model presents VV-183 captured by Finns on 31 July 1941. Machine was renovated and started service on 23 July 1942 but on 8th September the same year the plane made emergency landing near Norrksar  due to engine failure and later sunk while in tow... (reference: Martime Aircraft by K.Keskinen, K.Stenman, K.Niska, 1995, p. 89 ). Since she was in use for about one and half month I did not do  serious weathering or a lot of exploitation signs.

49170399832_dba35fdc87_b.jpg

49170399567_1b63e1c247_b.jpg

49169690473_4a1c834987_b.jpg

49170399382_9511e15484_b.jpg

49170400047_7581342696_b.jpg

49170400262_11ebc2dc49_b.jpg

49170400407_bef6bbd960_b.jpg

49169691728_f5cf9b6829_b.jpg

49170169391_5cdd12d549_b.jpg

Thi is first of mine planned series of WWII Berievs. I am building now also MBR-2 bis, Be-2 (KOR-1) and Be-4 (KOR-2) the two last in flying boats and floatplanes GB II. The MBR-2s I started prior launching of GB.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
corrected name of company Avia
  • Like 22

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

A very nice Beriev, JW. Look forward to seeing more.👍

Vinnie, thank you,  I'll do my best ;)

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Great work JW.

I knew nothing of these Beriev float planes and because of you, I've a Be-4 on its way to me, the Be-2 is a bit harder to find at the moment.

Carry on with the good work.

Stuart

Thank you, Stuart. If we are talking about 1/72 scale kits the wheeled (non-float) variant should be more easy to get, the model was easily available a year ago...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whereas most people (even those interesting in WW2 aviation) do recognize a dozen of minor flying boat types (like Do18, Do24, Bv138, H6K, H8K, Cant 501, PB2Y, JRF, J4F, Loire 130, Singapore or Stranraer), very few know that in whole aviation history the MBR-2 is the third most numerous flying boat built. Only the PBY Catalina and PBM Mariner fared better...

I must say that this M-17-powered variant looks quite antique - almost the scaled-down Dornier Wal.

Thanks for sharing 👍

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Lovely work J-W🙂

It is always nice to see a Finnish subject and this is also a very rare bird.

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you Antii for comment. The MBR-2 M-17 is surprisingly not present or very rare on WW II photos from Russian side, on the contrary to M-34 (MBR-2 bis) variant very well documented. Though a capture by Finns of this machine shows their presence in first line. Maybe they were already considered a bit obsolate, therefore not interesting to do propaganda pictures... 

Cheers

J-W