BRITISH AFV’s through time, A two era build Defunct

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One question: do they have to be 'armoured' - e.g. I have a Land Rover Wolf WMIK, one could hardly call it armoured! (I'm actually planning to build it in "They Also Serve" GB as I was hoping to do it in the Small Wars GB, it's just a general question.)

I've also got a Chruchill AVRE with some Italian campaign markings I'm going to shoehorn into the MTO build.

So this definitely sounds like my kind of GB, sign me up! I'm not sure what I'll build yet but there's plenty of choice!

7 minutes ago, Scargsy said:

One question: do they have to be 'armoured' - e.g. I have a Land Rover Wolf WMIK, one could hardly call it armoured! (I'm actually planning to build it in "They Also Serve" GB as I was hoping to do it in the Small Wars GB, it's just a general question.)

I've also got a Chruchill AVRE with some Italian campaign markings I'm going to shoehorn into the MTO build.

So this definitely sounds like my kind of GB, sign me up! I'm not sure what I'll build yet but there's plenty of choice!

No they don't as Jeeps and lorries also count. However I looked up your vehicle. According to the description in Wikipedia “WMIK” stands for.  “Weapons Mounted Installation Kit (WMIK)

This would be an armed/up-armored type vehicle as in my description layout. 

“The Vehicle of choice would need to be Designed or built in the U.K. Or Commonwealth. It also must have been operated By the British military, Commonwealth, or others post August 4th 1914 To clarify things. This includes Armored cars, AFV’s and Tanks procured, built, or used from WW1 to present day. If they were designed built procured or saw use after that date they are good togo. This group build does also include specialized vehicles that didn't originate as an Armored Vehicle originally. Which includes jeeps, lorries, MRAPS, and Technicals that have been field improvised with armor and or armament.”

So yes most definitely it qualifies, I will add you to the list. 

Dennis

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've only recently come back to armour modelling generally, and British AFVs are a whole new world so I need to have a go at this. Already got enough in the stash to keep me going plus another few projects I'd love an excuse to start.

Andy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi,

Would love to get involved in this one. Never made a British tank, although I have a few in the stash.

Cheers

Andy

Hello Andy... Welcome on board. If we can get 30 people interested we can get into the Great November Bun fight. If we make it into the top 7-8 builds we will get assigned dates for next year. For now as we failed to get through last fall’s vote, you can build some British armored types in the “They also serve” build. 

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 19:05, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This group build does also include specialized vehicles that didn't originate as an Armored Vehicle originally. Which includes jeeps, lorries, MRAPS, and Technicals that have been field improvised with armor and or armament.

Just realised - Bren Gun Carriers or (some?) Lloyd Carriers might qualify for this build?
They miss so many GB criteria (not armoured cars, not 1/2 tracks, not tanks) that it would be a shame not to build one here.

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Just realised - Bren Gun Carriers or (some?) Lloyd Carriers might qualify for this build?
They miss so many GB criteria (not armoured cars, not 1/2 tracks, not tanks) that it would be a shame not to build one here.

Yes Bren’s were considered a form of APC. So they're in, Lloyd carriers were also listed as personnel carriers. They were skinned in 7mm armor so in my book they qualify as APC’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I thought it had a couple of middle initials in between ? 

It did and I do...The thing is there is another 'John Masters' out there who is also a fine art photographer and we are not related.  So I use my full moniker on the web to differentiate.  It just seems pretentious here.  No relation to the British author, btw...well. maybe if you go back far enough.

I had a Mod change it for me... 

• Thanks 1