1:48 SAAF Mirage F1 AZ ESCI/Italeri+ Scaleworx Resin conversion

BKirwan

1:48 SAAF  Mirage F1 AZ Italeri+ Scaleworx Resin conversion 

Here is an in-progress build I started too long ago to admit to; however as I have recently pulled the finger out I decided to increase the peer pressure by posting it here.;) Its a 1:48 conversion of the ESCI/Italeri Mirage F1   to a South Africa AZ ground attack aircraft. The latter was unique to SA and used extensively in the Border wars of the late 70-80’s.   

Kits

Donor kit is fine for its age; nice panel lines reasonable detail and well-engineered. There is of course the option nowadays to use the Kittyhawk kit but I don’t have it and cannot comment on its quality. Scaleworx Resin have rereleased the conversion kit adjusted for the Kittyhawk offering.  

teacuteleacutechargement207_zpsqwxi4kuv.

The Scalworx Resin stuff is great if you are a SA fan which I am. The funky blue signature resin is well casted with no quality issues pertaining to the pour .I will say however that the detail is sometimes not as crisp as other resin I have seen but it’s adequate. The research in these kits is top notch as I checked the contents off the conversion against some extensive information about the type on the IPMS SA site. The set includes parts not just contemporaneous with the Border war but also later additions. Instead of listing everything here I will deal will them as they come up; the photos do the story telling.

DSCF2073_zps4fus47bx.jpg

References

Apart from the usual Internet references I also used “Vlamgat, the story of the Mirage F1 in SAAF ” and “From Fledging to Eagle” both by Brig -Gen Dick Lord and “SAAF border War” by Peter Baxter as sources. All great books worth reading if you are interested in African bush war phenomena.

vlamgat_zpsvik7tuco.png

fledging_zpsci0stdi0.png

First steps

The conversion will require the nose of the kit to be replaced by a one piece resin replacement but I started work on the ejection seat, beefing up the shock cone on the air intakes as the S Africans had them enlarged and painting the replacement the jet exhaust pipes

DSCF2096%202_zpsk3qt3v8g.jpg

DSCF2100%202_zpsu3ipigzp.jpg

DSCF2063_zps2fze9kp5.jpg

DSCF2062_zpsgbdlh43p.jpg

More to follow 

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 5

Hi, nice project !  😍

Concerning the air intakes, I don't know if they are enlarged, but the mice are different with biconical shape like Mirage 2000, allowing Mach 2.3 instead of 2 with the usual mice.

Edited by eclipse
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BKirwan said:

Its a 1:48 conversion of the ESCI/Italeri Mirage F1   to a South Africa AZ ground attack aircraft. The latter was unique to SA and used extensively in the Border wars of the late 70-80’s.

BTW, Libyan Air force has also used the A version... 😉

CA8adaQXIAAkz1W.jpg

LAF+Mirage+F1AZ.jpg

• Like 1

nice project. Beware with the decals....very thin and fragile. you should use some liquid decals film to protect them before use. i had big issues with them....i had to give up my project for the same plane.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, Omak said:

nice project. Beware with the decals....very thin and fragile. you should use some liquid decals film to protect them before use. i had big issues with them....i had to give up my project for the same plane.

Omak 

Thanks for the tip. Actually I am further along with the build than what I have posted. Plane is painted and decalled and yes decal spray first and then lots of setting solution and still some silvering. 

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BKirwan said:

Omak 

Thanks for the tip. Actually I am further along with the build than what I have posted. 

So no tips and tricks required then! Let us know your result!!

:D

• Like 1