Grumman Hellcat STGB Chat

Col.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I seem to recall our esteemed leader @Enzo Matrix had an unfinished one of these in the recent Frog Squad GB.

Will that one be joining us ?

I think Enzo has a few things on-going in the background that's taking up his time for the moment unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wish I had more time.  I've got a couple options...but too many irons in too many fires at the moment...and another batch of 3 (or 4 depending on how you want to count them) fixing to kick off (GBs have already started, I just haven't :whistle:).  I need some free time to I can try to crank some work out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working to reduce my accumulated stack of long abandoned kits.  Amongst them is a 1/48 Hasegawa F6F-3 that I started around 2003 or 2004.  Progress

photographs of the conversion of this kit into a Hellcat II were taken at that time.  After painting and some other work that I did not photograph, the project was shelved for reasons that I can no longer remember.  The project was boxed up and put into storage for at least 7 - 8 years.  I just got around to opening the box to check on the condition of the almost finished model.  More work is necessary for completion.  If this project qualifies for this GB, count me in.  I need the motivation.

Don

13 hours ago, don f said:

I've been working to reduce my accumulated stack of long abandoned kits.  Amongst them is a 1/48 Hasegawa F6F-3 that I started around 2003 or 2004.  Progress

photographs of the conversion of this kit into a Hellcat II were taken at that time.  After painting and some other work that I did not photograph, the project was shelved for reasons that I can no longer remember.  The project was boxed up and put into storage for at least 7 - 8 years.  I just got around to opening the box to check on the condition of the almost finished model.  More work is necessary for completion.  If this project qualifies for this GB, count me in.  I need the motivation.

Don

While we normally invoke a 25% limit on started kits being entered into a GB I've no objections to you joining us with your project if it helps motivate you to finish it :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that's the Gatto in the Gallery. Thanks to Col. for hosting and encouragement and to everyone that looked in and commented while I was building. That was fun, now to sit back a bit and enjoy all the other  great builds going on.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 12:47 PM, Foxbat said:

Well, that's the Gatto in the Gallery. Thanks to Col. for hosting and encouragement and to everyone that looked in and commented while I was building. That was fun, now to sit back a bit and enjoy all the other  great builds going on.

Andy

Glad you've enjoyed the GB Andy :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but...

Where does the aerial wire attach on the starboard fuselage side of the Hellcat? There's a little nipple thing moulded on - is that it? There's a stencil decal that goes there which refers to the pitot static line.

3 hours ago, djktrumpet said:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but...

Where does the aerial wire attach on the starboard fuselage side of the Hellcat? There's a little nipple thing moulded on - is that it? There's a stencil decal that goes there which refers to the pitot static line.

that's where I've attached it, looks right but I'm not 100%

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Fashionably late to the party as always, going yellow/orange for my build 😁

Just wondering - when the aircraft were being towed by towing tractors - would they usually be pulled by the tail wheels or the main wheels or is either acceptable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Hi all,

Fashionably late to the party as always, going yellow/orange for my build 😁

Just wondering - when the aircraft were being towed by towing tractors - would they usually be pulled by the tail wheels or the main wheels or is either acceptable?

Welcome to the party Tim. Always better late than never :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Guys - just went back through the gallery and have to say this is one of the best groupbuilds I've ever seen. The quality of the finished builds is just fantastic.

Really well done :clap2:

• Like 2