Grumman Hellcat STGB Chat

Col.

12 hours ago, Longbow said:

Whoop, Whoop :D

Time to get the glue out !!

NSPVcye.jpg

I've got some etch Zero Length rocket launch stubbs for a Wildcat (did the Hellcats ever carry these?) and I've decided that an upside down scene like this will be the only good way to show them off. Seems to have been a regular occurrence on carriers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Room for another one? I’ve been doing some research on the Hellcat recently and somehow the Eduard weekend (ha!) 1/72 version of the F6F-5 ended up in my grubby paws. Then I noticed this gb was about to kick off...

It’ll be a straightforward OOB build but it’s my first attempt at an Eduard kit so I’ll be interested to see how it goes together, especially in comparison to the Tamiya F4U (am I allowed to mention that here?) that I’ll be building at the same time. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Room for another one? I’ve been doing some research on the Hellcat recently and somehow the Eduard weekend (ha!) 1/72 version of the F6F-5 ended up in my grubby paws. Then I noticed this gb was about to kick off...

It’ll be a straightforward OOB build but it’s my first attempt at an Eduard kit so I’ll be interested to see how it goes together, especially in comparison to the Tamiya F4U (am I allowed to mention that here?) that I’ll be building at the same time. 

Craig. 

Of course Craig. Welcome to the fun :)  

As for the Tamiya F4U; from what I understand your Eduard F6F will be a similarly pleasurable experience ;) 

• Like 1

Hello @Col. I’m still going to be building one possibly two here in the build. Just going to be a delayed start, seems I’m a bit over stretched right now. I have multiple builds on my desk (9), and I don't want to start anything with all the open threads I have. Added to that most of the builds are in the dreaded sanding stages, so very boring and hard to get motivated over the work. 

Dennis

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. I’m still going to be building one possibly two here in the build. Just going to be a delayed start, seems I’m a bit over stretched right now. I have multiple builds on my desk (9), and I don't want to start anything with all the open threads I have. Added to that most of the builds are in the dreaded sanding stages, so very boring and hard to get motivated over the work. 

Dennis

Can understand and totally respect that Dennis. Always best to finish current projects rather than add to the load.

14 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I will build either Eduard's 1/48 F6F-5 late or HB's 1/48 F6F-5N.

I also have some PE, DMold cowlings, as well as a SuperScale sheet for the 5N.

Either or both of those sounds good :) 

• Like 1

I was going to take a short break from GBs as I've been massively busy and only finished about half of what I started but you know how it is - you're browsing for something else but a shiny thing catches your eye and next thing you know you're back down the GB rabbit hole.

Which is a long way of saying, yes please, count me in. As always it will be something just a little different. I'll start a placeholder thread now while I wait for the postie (who knows me well enough now that he stopped me two streets away yesterday and asked if I was headed home as he had a parcel for me :D )

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was going to stay out of this as I've already got projects I'm not working on, but it's too tempting and what better way to actually get me back to the bench than a deadline? Assuming I'm not too late to join?

Edited by 81-er
  • Like 1

I just received an email from Furball Aero Designs on their new 1/48 and 1/72 sheets on "Colors and Markings of F6F-5 Hellcats" parts 1 and 2. IIUC, these are matched to the Detail & Scale book. The email is classic timing for me, as I just ordered 2 sheets from 2 vendors for 2 markings, both of which are presented on Furball's Part 1 sheet. I can attest to their quality as I used their 1/48 F-4B Cockpit Detail decals for the Academy kit.

I have no business or personal relationship with Furball. I am a satisfied customer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

I was going to stay out of this as I've already got projects I'm not working on, but it's too tempting and what better way to actually get me back to the bench than a deadline? Assuming I'm not too late to join?

Not wanting to steal the Host's thunder, but in my experience you get a warm welcome in any GB right up until it closes, although the later you leave it the faster you have to build :)

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

In you come and join the party :) 

11 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Not wanting to steal the Host's thunder, but in my experience you get a warm welcome in any GB right up until it closes, although the later you leave it the faster you have to build :)

Andy

You're not so much stealing my thunder as saving me a task Andy :D 

13 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I just received an email from Furball Aero Designs on their new 1/48 and 1/72 sheets on "Colors and Markings of F6F-5 Hellcats" parts 1 and 2. IIUC, these are matched to the Detail & Scale book. The email is classic timing for me, as I just ordered 2 sheets from 2 vendors for 2 markings, both of which are presented on Furball's Part 1 sheet. I can attest to their quality as I used their 1/48 F-4B Cockpit Detail decals for the Academy kit.

I have no business or personal relationship with Furball. I am a satisfied customer.

There's a nice choice of options on the sheet and as you say well timed for our GB B) 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can I ask a question please.

What colour would the cockpit interior and wheel wells be on a Fleet Airm Arm Hellcat ?

Many thanks Pat 

Cockpit: same interior green as all other Hellcats.

Wheelwells: same colour as the underside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Cockpit: same interior green as all other Hellcats.

Wheelwells: same colour as the underside.

Thanks TPS, so is that Humbrol 78 or a polychrome green ? 

Apologies for Hellcat veterans reading this shaking their heads !

Cheers Pat 

Strike II - check. Ready to go again! 

Been DAO for 16 weeks but this is exactly what I need to clean out the home office and & reinstate the man cave. 

Were do I enlist?

Zack

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 12:47 PM, Zack said:

Strike II - check. Ready to go again! 

Been DAO for 16 weeks but this is exactly what I need to clean out the home office and & reinstate the man cave. 

Were do I enlist?

Zack

Start a thread whenever you're ready and come join the party Zack :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

A couple of years ago, I started this Eduard 1/48 F6F. Is it eligible to take part in this GB, or is it too far along?

CMg3T6I.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

This is still eligible Stefan. Start a thread and get it finished :thumbsup:

• Like 3