Grumman Hellcat STGB Chat

Col.

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In the previous Hellcat STGB I built an aircraft from every country which operated the Hellcat with the sad exception of France.    The time has come to rectify that omission.  :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was planning on a R.N. And drone myself. Id love to do an Uruguayan Navy plane but don't have the decals yet. 

Ironic. The two I've built so far are the French and Uruguayan!

spacer.png

For this GB I'm probably going for this NAMU example, to pair with a similarly schemed Wildcat and Privateer at some point.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Mine will  be a Fleet Air Arm bird of 1844 NAS.  It might be one of my distant cousins aircraft  (who was quite handy in a Hellcat) or maybe an aircraft flown by a South African Naval Service Ace or both (before @Enzo Matrix mentions it)...

Oooh the weight of decision...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In the previous Hellcat STGB I built an aircraft from every country which operated the Hellcat with the sad exception of France.    The time has come to rectify that omission.  :thumbsup: 

I'm also considering some minor Hellcat versions:  F6F-3E, F6F-5N, F6F-5P,  There's also a distinct possibility of another F6F-5K drone.

And I really want to do one with folded wings.

Of course, there is always the 1/24 Airfix beauty calling to me from The Stash.  But within the confines of an STGB, that would be insane! :mental: 

You do need a French 'cat in your collection boss :) Another drone as well for that extra splash of colour.

As for the 24th scale Airfix kit; was thinking we can take the 25% rule to its natural limit there and define it as fully completed engine and cockpit assemblies inside the closed fuselage? Just to give anyone tackling it a fighting chance.

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was planning on a R.N. And drone myself. Id love to do an Uruguayan Navy plane but don't have the decals yet. 

Three good options Dennis. Is there much selection of decal options available to cover the drone and Uruguayan machines?

40 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Ironic. The two I've built so far are the French and Uruguayan!

spacer.png

For this GB I'm probably going for this NAMU example, to pair with a similarly schemed Wildcat and Privateer at some point.

spacer.png

Inspiring stuff Tim :speak_cool:

9 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Mine will  be a Fleet Air Arm bird of 1844 NAS.  It might be one of my distant cousins aircraft  (who was quite handy in a Hellcat) or maybe an aircraft flown by a South African Naval Service Ace or both (before @Enzo Matrix mentions it)...

Oooh the weight of decision...

Nice choices. Always good to see a subject with a personal connection as well :) 

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

Three good options Dennis. Is there much selection of decal options available to cover the drone and Uruguayan machines?

There are a couple of sets out there, the Drone should be easy enough to do from spares. The Uruguayan roundels are harder to come by. Im doing a French Hellcat for the French Fancy build so that covers those. The drone is a partially started build, I will post photo’s soon enough to see if they fall below 25%. If not I will finish it but wont add it to the gallery. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Col. said:

As for the 24th scale Airfix kit; was thinking we can take the 25% rule to its natural limit there and define it as fully completed engine and cockpit assemblies inside the closed fuselage? Just to give anyone tackling it a fighting chance.

It's your GB.  You make the rules.  :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Uruguayan roundels are harder to come by.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LFMC72104?result-token=bqmwa

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LFMC4852?result-token=CpXja

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @Col. Im pretty sure this is inside the 25% mark but looking for approval. This one will be for my Drone build. It is the Italeri kit and was a gift from another member. 

mCVICIW.jpg

sJrLUvh.jpg

I have an Eduard dual boxing for the R.N. And French Hellcat (French Fancy). 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. Im pretty sure this is inside the 25% mark but looking for approval. This one will be for my Drone build. It is the Italeri kit and was a gift from another member. 

mCVICIW.jpg

sJrLUvh.jpg

I have an Eduard dual boxing for the R.N. And French Hellcat (French Fancy). 

Well inside the 25% mark Dennis :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Good morning.....

I just placed an order for the Trumpeter 1/32 Hellcat.

Please include me in the list.

Thanks !!

Lee. 

With pleasure Lee :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, so want in on this.  But I am fully submerged in a house remodel (down to studs) and family coming for 3 weeks that it's next to impossible to dedicate time to this.  I haven't touched a model since December.  Agggghhhhhh!

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Man, so want in on this.  But I am fully submerged in a house remodel (down to studs) and family coming for 3 weeks that it's next to impossible to dedicate time to this.  I haven't touched a model since December.  Agggghhhhhh!

Sorry to hear that but it'll all have been worthwhile work once your house is finished ;) 

18 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Might try and enter this one too, I picked up a kit on ebay last night for a bargain price so would be a shame not to try and get it built!

Added your name to the list Dave :) Which kit did you go for?

You've got a good collection of potential subjects there @Pierpaolo and while the presence of the Airfix 24th scale kit means we can't reasonably expect you to go down the W.W.E.M.D. route I do notice a lack of the night-fighter variant in your models while a couple exist in your stash ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Col. said:

You've got a good collection of potential subjects there @Pierpaolo and while the presence of the Airfix 24th scale kit means we can't reasonably expect you to go down the W.W.E.M.D. route I do notice a lack of the night-fighter variant in your models while a couple exist in your stash ;) 

W.W.E.M.D. is something like "in case of doubt, build them all" ?

unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make more than one in 3 months and for the 1/24 scale kit I think it will take me a whole year and I don't even have the space to mount it or to store it! But I had to have it, maybe by the time I retire, if my eyesight will allow it

I had already made the same consideration on the fact that I had never done a nightfighter (in fact I have already taken photos of the box content) but then I doubted

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

W.W.E.M.D. is something like "in case of doubt, build them all" ?

unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make more than one in 3 months and for the 1/24 scale kit I think it will take me a whole year and I don't even have the space to mount it or to store it! But I had to have it, maybe by the time I retire, if my eyesight will allow it

I had already made the same consideration on the fact that I had never done a nightfighter (in fact I have already taken photos of the box content) but then I doubted

Yes, indeed, What Would Enzo Matrix Do - the answer to which is, of course, Build Them All! :lol:

Perhaps in the future we can consider a year-long Mega-Kit GB :hmmm:

Ahem, anyway, so a night-fighter it is then? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

I will also participate as soon as I have decided which subject to do..

51242532829_3b5df54e67_b.jpg

Now THAT is a respectable stash! :thumbsup:

Most excellent collection of Hellcats, too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Sorry to hear that but it'll all have been worthwhile work once your house is finished ;) 

Added your name to the list Dave :) Which kit did you go for?

Cheers. Picked up the Eduard MK.I/II dual combo - will mark one as a FAA MK.II and the other as a USN F6F-3 with the help of some extra decals 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Yes, indeed, What Would Enzo Matrix Do - the answer to which is, of course, Build Them All! :lol:

Perhaps in the future we can consider a year-long Mega-Kit GB :hmmm:

Ahem, anyway, so a night-fighter it is then? :)

Maybe :)

• Like 1

I've got the big Airfix beast down from the loft 😎 raring to go!

Will be doing this as a pure OOB build except for the night fighter additions by Aerocraft:

KD127+X+P.png?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000

Going to be a good GB I reckon, haven't done one for ages.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Alan P said:

I've got the big Airfix beast down from the loft 😎 raring to go!

Will be doing this as a pure OOB build except for the night fighter additions by Aerocraft:

KD127+X+P.png?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000

Going to be a good GB I reckon, haven't done one for ages.

Cool! Looking forward to this one Alan B) 

Speaking of which, I've just realised, 8 days to go gang :D 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Whoop, Whoop :D

Time to get the glue out !!

Oh yes! :yahoo:

54 minutes ago, Longbow said:

NSPVcye.jpg

Honestly, the lengths some show judges will go to check the quality of competition entries :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that would certainly make for a cool diorama B) 

• Haha 2