Grumman Hellcat STGB Chat

Col.

Anyone fancy joining me for this one? Got a few Hellcats in the stash and thought a dedicated STGB might be fun. Anything in the F6F lineup from prototype to museum piece and all points in between gives us a good variety of colours and subjects. As a bonus any Hellcats depicted in film or comic books can be included along with any proposed but unbuilt types.

Names

1, @Col.

2, @Erwin

3, @Wez

4, @helios16v

5, @TEMPESTMK5

6, @BlueNosers352nd

7, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

8, @trickyrich

9, @modelling minion

10, @dnl42

11, @Grey Beema

12, @almac

13, @rob85

14, @Angus Tura

15, @gary from darwin

16, @nimrod54

17, @Cookenbacher

18, @stevehnz

19, @Beazer

20, @Steve 1602

21, @Tim R-T-C

22, @rafalbert

23, @theplasticsurgeon

24, @Arniec

25, @JOCKNEY

26, @Alan P

27, @zegeye

28, @Thom216

29, @shortCummins

30, @djktrumpet

31, @Longbow

32, @DaveJL

33, @Pierpaolo

34, @Dandie Dinmont

35, @Foxbat

36, @81-er

Edited by Col.

14 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I was going to do the 1/32 nd Trumpeter Hellcat in the GB "In the Navy".

Can build another one and use the Trump kit for the STGB.

Excellent! Any reason to add another kit to the stash is always a good one :D

• Like 1

:bye:

I've got a couple in the stash...including a Hasegawa kit w/ decals from VF-16 (USS Lexington) & VF-9 (USS Essex)+ some resin extras.  Kit was a model show pick up, price was too good to say no too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Go on then, I'm fond of a Hellcat.

Sure I'm not the only one who's delighted to know you're able to get back on the GB scene soon Wez :yahoo:

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

:bye:

I've got a couple in the stash...including a Hasegawa kit w/ decals from VF-16 (USS Lexington) & VF-9 (USS Essex)+ some resin extras.  Kit was a model show pick up, price was too good to say no too.

Quite right too :D 

32 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Col

Please count me in , I have an Eduard Hellcat kit in my stash ..

Patrice

Good evening Patrice, with pleasure, have you a particular pilot in mind for this one?

7 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Would you all stop these GBs?  I'll see how a couple other GBs go, but I might be in.  Have one in the stash.

:lol: I've added you to the list but no pressure to commit as we all know only too well how life can intervene.

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ Ok Col. i guess i should build one of Eduards fine kits at least once. 

I think you should yes :D 

At the moment my personal front-runner is this one...

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hellcat/RN/pages/Grumman-Hellcat-MkII-RN-FAA-KE209-Lossiemouth-Station-Flight-Commanding-Officer-John-Caspar-01.html

...but need to do some research on the nose art colours and details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think i will also do an RN Cat as I've always built USN hellcats. 

You going with the 72nd or 48th scale Dennis?

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You had best add my name to the list Col.

Should have plenty of time to get a kit and decals, probably Uruguayan or French, but then there are those nice colourful USN post war ones used for testing, oh dear here we go!

There really is no shortage of interesting and colourfull schemes for this machine B)

12 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Please add me as I will always join any Grumman-focused GB.

Gladly sir :) 

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Most likely 72nd. 

Got spare decals for an RN machine but in 48th scale unfortunatelly :( 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Three tone....   EDSG/DSG/Sky.....  You should go 1/48 though, it really is a great model...

You in for this one yourself?

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

You in for this one yourself?

TBH I'm tempted but I'm a bit over subscribed for GBs this year however I could potentially swap out my Corsair STGB for a Hellcat STGB and I do have a Hellcat in the stash and I don't have a Corsair in the stash.  

I would need to get input from @iang or @Lee Howard to help me identify a specific Hellcat II;-  

On 12.04.45 SLt Bill Atkinson of 1844 NAS (possibly a distant cousin) was flying Hellcat JW779 when he destroyed a Mitsubishi A6M “Zero” and probably destroyed a Kawasaki Ki61 “Tony” off the east coast of Formosa.  Grumman Hellcat II JW779 was a 1839 NAS aircraft what I want to know is its side number (W1??) ?

If I find the number - I'm in...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iang said:

I don't know that one.  According to my notes, the Combat Report only identifies the aircraft by its serial number.

Thanks Ian, that really is a shame.  I might try the Naval Museum in Canada where I think the have Bill's log book..

41 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

TBH I'm tempted but I'm a bit over subscribed for GBs this year however I could potentially swap out my Corsair STGB for a Hellcat STGB and I do have a Hellcat in the stash and I don't have a Corsair in the stash.

@Enzo Matrix can confirm this, but the first available dates will be in 2021. Almost a year later than the corsair build. Plenty of time to do both and get whatever you will need sorted out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Dennis says...

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Enzo Matrix can confirm this, but the first available dates will be in 2021. Almost a year later than the corsair build. Plenty of time to do both and get whatever you will need sorted out.  

...it'll be mid-2021 before we can get a slot...

16 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Cool, I'm in then....

...so I've added your name to our list :) Hopefully you find the code for JW779 in the meantime as I'd love to see that as your subject :speak_cool: