Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zeke

Hi guys,

I have finally finished my first 1/48 build, Tamiya's A6M2 Zeke, OOB. The kit was ok, old and did not have much detail, but it was cheap and that suited me because I wanted to experiment on it. As some of you out there know I tested my complementary pre-shading technique for the first time on this little guy (dark yellow primer followed by purple pre-shading before IJN Ash Gray base coat), as well as first time salt technique for color variation (slightly overdone in my opinion). 

As I said, the kit is poor in detail and there were some fitting issues (canopy, landing gear and the cowling) but nothing that put me off.

I also lost the small bit on the right aileron. Never to be seen again. :)

I am satisfied with the result. You be the judges.

Comments and criticism are much appreciated!

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 27

6 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

You have made a good job of the weathering.  For this plane it is a bit much because these Peal harbor planes where well maintained.  However,  as it is a test bed it isn't an issue.

Hi Greg, 

Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated!

You are absolutely right about the weathering. Those guys kept them very neat from what I saw. I will keep that in mind when doing a more serious 1/48 or maybe even a 1/32. Would like to get those as authentic as possible. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

Very interesting thought process on the primer/pre-shading. The real trick would be to produce the same build using “traditional” pre-shading methods and see how they compare. Of course, that’s easy for me to say and allocate YOUR time and effort, right?😛

I like the idea of “salt weathering”, however my personal experience with it yielded less than stellar results. The salt stuck so hard it pulled paint off in places! Yours looks well done, and really starts to explore variations in the color very well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Very interesting thought process on the primer/pre-shading. The real trick would be to produce the same build using “traditional” pre-shading methods and see how they compare. Of course, that’s easy for me to say and allocate YOUR time and effort, right?😛

I like the idea of “salt weathering”, however my personal experience with it yielded less than stellar results. The salt stuck so hard it pulled paint off in places! Yours looks well done, and really starts to explore variations in the color very well.

Hi RadMax, 

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated! :)

You are absolutely right, I would also like to see the side by side comparison. Will happen again for sure, when I pick up another Zeke. 

If you haven't seen it, here is the link to the work in progress where my complementary pre-shading idea and experiment started and explained (with pics, haha):

My next build will be the notorious Revell P-61 kit which I will be doing as the "Midnight Mickey" i.e. olive drab/green base color. Here I will explore the red pre-shading/green base color combination, as these are complementary and see where it goes. 

As for the salt removal, I wetted the model again once the paint had time to dry properly, and took the salt off with a wet brush. No issues. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much guys! Much appreciated! Glad you like her. :)

I will try to further improve and develop the complementary pre-shading method on my next build, Revell's 1/48 P-61. We'll see how it turns out. 

Regards, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

NIkola, this is beautiful work!  Do you think you will use your pre-shading technique again? The salt weathering is very well done and convincing, if not quite accurate (as @Greg Law pointed out).  Still, if lightened up a bit, it would suit a later war naval planes.  I think the salt weathering on the fuselage is perfect, though. 

I used the technique on a US F/A-18 Hornet because my reference photos showed those planes could be absolutely filthy, and salt weathering fit the bill! I also used it on an F2H Banshee to match my reference photos, but in that case the over coat I used on the salt was very, very faint to look just right.  You've got a terrific start on this technique.

Great job on this model.  It was fun following the WIP too.

Cheers

Edited by opus999

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

NIkola, this is beautiful work!  Do you think you will use your pre-shading technique again? The salt weathering is very well done and convincing, if not quite accurate (as @Greg Law pointed out).  Still, if lightened up a bit, it would suit a later war naval planes.  I think the salt weathering on the fuselage is perfect, though. 

I used the technique on a US F/A-18 Hornet because my reference photos showed those planes could be absolutely filthy, and salt weathering fit the bill! I also used it on an F2H Banshee to match my reference photos, but in that case the over coat I used on the salt was very, very faint to look just right.  You've got a terrific start on this technique.

Great job on this model.  It was fun following the WIP too.

Cheers

Hi Opus, 

Thank you very much for the compliments! Much appreciated. I am glad that you like my work. 

As for my complementary pre-shading method, I will use it again on my current build, Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey", which has OD/green for base color. If you wish to take a look, here is the link to the post in WIP thread where I did a rough "simulation" of the planned painting process:

Do you have any pics of your work which you mentioned?I would very much like to see it. Thanks in advance. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

2 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Do you have any pics of your work which you mentioned?I would very much like to see it.

Oh, sure! Sorry about that... :) 

F/A-18:  

F2H: 

The RFIs have links to the build threads, but the F/A-18 salt weathering is detailed on this page: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052241-a-pair-of-hornets-172/page/2/

On the Banshee, I did a little pre-shading (which is on page 1 of the WIP), and the salt weathering is detailed on this page: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058370-f2h-banshee-172-hobbycraft/page/2/

I'll have to check out your work on the P-61.  This technique really intrigues me (my mom had an art background, so I often think in terms of art) and I love the P-61! :D 

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

Amazing weathering Nikola, I'm taking notes!

Thank you very much Mike! Appreciated!

If you wish to take a look, below is the link to the post where I made a rough "virtual" test for the planned complementary pre-shading scheme I am planning to do on the Widow (bottom of the post):

Color business is fun! :)

Cheers,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov