This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Nikola Topalov

Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zeke

Hi guys,

I have finally finished my first 1/48 build, Tamiya's A6M2 Zeke, OOB. The kit was ok, old and did not have much detail, but it was cheap and that suited me because I wanted to experiment on it. As some of you out there know I tested my complementary pre-shading technique for the first time on this little guy (dark yellow primer followed by purple pre-shading before IJN Ash Gray base coat), as well as first time salt technique for color variation (slightly overdone in my opinion). 

As I said, the kit is poor in detail and there were some fitting issues (canopy, landing gear and the cowling) but nothing that put me off.

I also lost the small bit on the right aileron. Never to be seen again. :)

I am satisfied with the result. You be the judges.

Comments and criticism are much appreciated!

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov

You have made a good job of the weathering.  For this plane it is a bit much because these Peal harbor planes where well maintained.  However,  as it is a test bed it isn't an issue.

6 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

You have made a good job of the weathering.  For this plane it is a bit much because these Peal harbor planes where well maintained.  However,  as it is a test bed it isn't an issue.

Hi Greg, 

Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated!

You are absolutely right about the weathering. Those guys kept them very neat from what I saw. I will keep that in mind when doing a more serious 1/48 or maybe even a 1/32. Would like to get those as authentic as possible. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

Very interesting thought process on the primer/pre-shading. The real trick would be to produce the same build using “traditional” pre-shading methods and see how they compare. Of course, that’s easy for me to say and allocate YOUR time and effort, right?😛

I like the idea of “salt weathering”, however my personal experience with it yielded less than stellar results. The salt stuck so hard it pulled paint off in places! Yours looks well done, and really starts to explore variations in the color very well.

2 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Very interesting thought process on the primer/pre-shading. The real trick would be to produce the same build using “traditional” pre-shading methods and see how they compare. Of course, that’s easy for me to say and allocate YOUR time and effort, right?😛

I like the idea of “salt weathering”, however my personal experience with it yielded less than stellar results. The salt stuck so hard it pulled paint off in places! Yours looks well done, and really starts to explore variations in the color very well.

Hi RadMax, 

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated! :)

You are absolutely right, I would also like to see the side by side comparison. Will happen again for sure, when I pick up another Zeke. 

If you haven't seen it, here is the link to the work in progress where my complementary pre-shading idea and experiment started and explained (with pics, haha):

My next build will be the notorious Revell P-61 kit which I will be doing as the "Midnight Mickey" i.e. olive drab/green base color. Here I will explore the red pre-shading/green base color combination, as these are complementary and see where it goes. 

As for the salt removal, I wetted the model again once the paint had time to dry properly, and took the salt off with a wet brush. No issues. 

Cheers, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

You put lot of work on weathering, and it worth.

Very interesting and realistic.

Regards Djordje

A superb looking Zeke.  A great paint finish and weathering.

Thank you very much guys! Much appreciated! Glad you like her. :)

I will try to further improve and develop the complementary pre-shading method on my next build, Revell's 1/48 P-61. We'll see how it turns out. 

Regards, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov