Revell Beaufighter.

Britman

Honest question: So how does Revell's 1/48 Beaufighter compare to Tamiya's 1/48 Beaufighter?

Is the Revell kit a new tool superior kit choice? ... I'm honestly out of touch and new back to this scale of 1/48 and after a Beau too.

Seems to me Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter's can go for about same price and there seems to be a glut of them on UK Ebay even cheaper as second hand, but still as new kits.

I know Tamiya does not always = quality, some of their ancient releases are not noteworthy, but is their Beaufighter that old?

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

Honest question: So how does Revell's 1/48 Beaufighter compare to Tamiya's 1/48 Beaufighter?

It's newer, and has more detail...  

weirdly enough, I have yet to see a proper comparison of the two.

The Tamiya does have some outline problems, which have been discussed here,  (I'll edit in if I can find it)

EDIT - here

in particular, post #13

to do with a 'fish belly' (fixable with work)and the wing alignment (probably not, maybe noticeable to the trained eye)  and the tailplanes are a mish-mash of variants.

This dos not seem widely appreciated, and as they have been around for a while without much wailing and gnashing of teeth,  perhaps is not that obvious.

Is the Revell kit a new tool superior kit choice? ... I'm honestly out of touch and new back to this scale of 1/48 and after a Beau too.

If you get one in a sale, probably, they were being sold half price by Hobbycraft online(sold out now) , and were still in some stores as well, you can search up stores and check stock online as well.

I was tempted, hhm and haa'd and it was gone.... 

EDIT some on ebay for about £24 shipped at the mo.

• Like 1

Thanks guys ... and especially Troy for detailed explanation ... I have a habit of deferring to Tamiya as the standard, but do know too, that their older kits can sometimes be off the mark as well.

I have a Hobbycraft store nearby and will be there soon, will deffo look out for a Revell Beau.

16 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Thanks guys ... and especially Troy for detailed explanation ... I have a habit of deferring to Tamiya as the standard, but do know too, that their older kits can sometimes be off the mark as well.

I have a Hobbycraft store nearby and will be there soon, will deffo look out for a Revell Beau.

The Revell kit is quite a hard build but does look much better than the Tamiya kit. The Revell engine nacelles are especially poor. Here is a WIP that I did if it helps, with comparison photos between finished Revell and Tamiya kits;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1