Birthday B-17G, 1/72nd Revell

My son very kindly brought me the Revell B-17 for my birthday recently, I have built one of these before so I know it to be a reasonably easy and pleasant build. The last one I did was a NMF aircraft , in the one in the boxart...

49169194057_57c1c4a7d6_b.jpg

This time around I want to do a green/grey machine, luckily I have in my decal stash set for 'Thunderbird', so that's what I'm going with...

49169243232_252fc673c1_b.jpg

I also shall be using the Eduard masking set, their interior set and Master gun barrels..

So, whenever I start a build, I usually try to get one complete assembly done before anything else as a mojo builder to inspire me to get on with it. One a single engine fighter it's usually the prop, but in this beast I decided on the top turret.

First up the Master barrels were added to the kits guns, painted and given a quick dry brush..

49169200022_e1fda74483_b.jpg

Next up the turret transparency was masked, the interior colour painted and then the top colour added..

49169200102_c9b76a44f1_b.jpg

Turret body and interior doings assembled and painted, not going over board with details as not much can be seen when installed...

49168959716_bf6b316d7d_b.jpg

And all assembled and unmasked..

49169189127_502ba3869f_b.jpg

It's not much, but its a start.... Build will probably glacially slow as I can only build in my shed and its a bit nippy this time of year!

• Like 10

• 6 months later...

After what seems an age, I am now cracking on again with this having put it on the back-burner after doing a couple of builds for friends...

then 

I have managed to get it built but didn't take any photos as I didn't have a camera and my iPhone camera really doesn't like the lighting in my shed.

I am now ready for paint, so first up was the underside. Painted with Tamiya neutral grey, then given a heavily thinned coat with a little white added over salt. Salt was the washed off, I will tone the patchiness down with a wash.

DSCN0320

The underside was then masked with Tamiya tape and blu-tac worms

DSCN0313

Preshaded upperside

DSCN0314

First coat, Tamiya Olive Drab mixed 50-50 with Tamiya Buff

DSCN0316

Second coat, 2parts O D, one part Buff, heavily thinned again..

DSCN0321

Whilst it dried, it went really patchy, it was quite cold and damp in my shed when I was painting, but I've never seen it like this before..

DSCN0317

DSCN0318

However, Thunderbird was a well used airframe, and I like it, so its staying. That said, unwrapped...

DSCN0319

Its now in the airing cupboard to cure, then a coat of gloss and on with the weathering....

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 4