Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andy350

HobbyBoss Vickers Tank MK1 1/35

Recommended Posts

I have taken this as far as I could.  It wasn't really how I thought it would end up, the dark dirt wash I used was too dark, so now with the matt finish it looks even darker.  I am not the best photographer either!!  I need to look at some other water based washed or some of the oil based ones next time. 

Thanks for all the advice with this build, it was very helpful.  Again, this is a learning process and there are a few issues that I spotted after fixing in the paint, but I'm happy for this one to sit on the shelf.

 

Please critique as you see fit 👍

 

49168396578_6f49d9eb9d_b.jpg

49169098917_76c42c7df9_b.jpg

49168904906_d7e7038b10_c.jpg

49169040922_06123bddee_c.jpg

49169049512_15fc44326d_b.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like a fantastic build to me. I actually like the darker tones and weathering, especially around the lower hull and running gear. Weathering will usually darken the finish to some degree. One way to get around it is to start with a base colour that's a few tones lighter than the one you want to end up with.

 

Andy:cat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy,

I see that you have already finished the model, it did not look bad after all, as your "namesake" says, above, one way to prevent it from being too dark for our taste / idea, is to end up with a necessarily lighter color, because in the following processes, at a minimum, the color will change, and possibly darker ...

I am beginning to take it into account, as it often happens to me ...
It looks convincing, and it's a color that I like. I personally, to this model with so many rivets everywhere, I would have done a wash, to highlight them, which IMHO would give more complexity and break the monotony of a single color.

Being a model of interwar, if I'm not wrong, has not seen real action, but imagine that if military maneuver, and would be a model that was left for training, so a more pronounced weathering, would not be out of historical reliability ..
Cheers Andy 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

It looks like a fantastic build to me. I actually like the darker tones and weathering, especially around the lower hull and running gear. Weathering will usually darken the finish to some degree. One way to get around it is to start with a base colour that's a few tones lighter than the one you want to end up with.

 

Andy:cat:

Thanks Andy, yes it was getting darker and darker as I went along.  I'm happy with it, I've progressed a little since the other dark armoured build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,

I see that you have already finished the model, it did not look bad after all, as your "namesake" says, above, one way to prevent it from being too dark for our taste / idea, is to end up with a necessarily lighter color, because in the following processes, at a minimum, the color will change, and possibly darker ...

I am beginning to take it into account, as it often happens to me ...
It looks convincing, and it's a color that I like. I personally, to this model with so many rivets everywhere, I would have done a wash, to highlight them, which IMHO would give more complexity and break the monotony of a single color.

Being a model of interwar, if I'm not wrong, has not seen real action, but imagine that if military maneuver, and would be a model that was left for training, so a more pronounced weathering, would not be out of historical reliability ..
Cheers Andy 👍

Thanks Francis, I wanted to highlight the rivets but I am not sure on best practice at the moment.  But I take onboard the idea of using a lighter colour before weathering.  maybe I should have used such a dark weathering colour.  I know there are a few in this rage to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good result, I don't remember seeing one on here before.

 

It's just a question of practice. Pin washes as suggested, maybe some crud coloured pigments on the tracks & running gear.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Good result, I don't remember seeing one on here before.

 

It's just a question of practice. Pin washes as suggested, maybe some crud coloured pigments on the tracks & running gear.

 

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will look at pin washes, just need to pick up the right tools for the job.  Did try a little crud as I have some colours but it didn't turn out that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye up Andy.

 

Great job. Looks like its just come off a road march. Not too mucky but not too clean either. Well done for sticking with it.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Andy.

 

Great job. Looks like its just come off a road march. Not too mucky but not too clean either. Well done for sticking with it.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

Thanks Steve, yes it's got that road look for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really well, good work!

 

Regarding the dark finish once weathered; I find if helpful to lighten the chosen colour before painting with a few drops of buff or sand or white etc etc (depending upon what colour you're using). 

 

Great job though. :goodjob:

Darryl 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Darryl, I suppose I could have applied this, would drops of buff be applied as a watered down wash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has already been said, it looks good. If you want to lighten it a little now, get hold of some of Migs "Allied Green, Fading". When applied with a brush, it will lighten up those areas that it's applied to. It also gives it a streaked, worn appearance.

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2019 at 07:47, Andy350 said:

Thanks Darryl, I suppose I could have applied this, would drops of buff be applied as a watered down wash?

Hi Andy, could do, it would probably look more like a pale panel line wash though, unless sprayed on as a very diluted filter. Best bet at this stage is John's suggestion of fading green pigment. 

 

Cheers

Darryl 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the same problem of darkening the color by too liberally applying washes... It's very difficult to imagine the final color of tank when you're putting on the first layers. As others have said, it's just part of the learning process! 

 

Also, after doing a quick google search your shade seems completely plausible...! And maybe it's just an overcast day :)

 

Overall though, it looks very good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...