St Chamond 1:35

BKirwan

Gents 
Here is a few pictures of a diorama I am working on at the minute. Its a  St Chamond (early) tank. Its one of my favourite ugly French tanks and there are quiet a few of those. When Takom released the St Chamond I just had to have one. It built up quiet well but of course I got to a particular point and pushed it aside to flounder on the Shelf of Doom. Recently I picked it back up again as I promised myself to finish at least 2 SOD kits a year. Having visited Saumur Military Museum during the summer I also had so good photos of the tank.  Unfortunately I havent any photos of work up to this point so you are gonna have to believe me. 

The Base 
I went to Action supermarket and bought a wooden tissue box holder for 1 euro and knew it was the right size as a base for the St Chamond. 
Went home removed the lid and using the ol' decoupre saw chopped the sides and front down. Next I filled the box with green Oase which is used as the green base in flower arrangement (bought at the Action for 1 euro). It is cheap easy to work and when made wet goes hard; ideal material. 

20191204_115818_zpsojfamt6s.jpg

Based was filled out with wall plaster, various grades of stones and dried twigs. The stones are sourced from material for fish tanks or cat litter. Just push everything into place and with diluted white glue bathe everything in it and wait 48 hours for it to dry 

20191204_115807_zps6m6wddpk.jpg

Base colour of black followed by various browns and reds using whatever is to hand from Tamiya, enamels and oils. I don't care just mix it all up and it will look natural. 

The crew
The crew is made up of the Takom figure form the kit (minus his head) and MiniArt set 35105. I mixed the fit of heads and arms around to come up with some natural poses. Base colours in enamels and Tamiya. The blue black colour is oil over enamel dark grey base. 
The tree is made up of electric cables cut to lengths bound together with wire and then dipped in white glue and covered in scenic grass and allowed to dry. Repeat the proces where necessary. I use a coffie jar for this procedure ( grass/ sprinkle in the bottom , throw wet wires in lid on and then shake.     

20191204_115723_zps8fuyszir.jpg

And here is a idea of the placement I have in mind 
20191204_115839_zpszmdfchxc.jpg

More to follow 
Regards 
Brian

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 10

What tank? I see no tank!

Great work Brian. Really great work. I love those colours!

I'm not at all convinced about your tree though. If I were you i'd forget about trying to make one and just use a piece of real twig, a dead and dry twig with some of the bark peeled off.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Badder said:

I'm not at all convinced about your tree though. If I were you i'd forget about trying to make one and just use a piece of real twig, a dead and dry twig with some of the bark peeled off. 

The tree will indeed need some extra work all I have in the photos is the basic trunk; will have to add additional branches and foliage. It was an afterthought as the figures are going in on the left-hand corner I need something to balance that out.

We'll see how it looks,

Regards

Brian  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BKirwan said:

all I have in the photos is the basic trunk; will have to add additional branches and foliage.

Ah, right. Sorry I thought that was the finished tree 😊. I look forward to seeing it in it's full glory!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 9 months later...