1409 Met Flight Mosquito question

Collin

HK’s 1/32 two-stage kit shows ML 897/D as a B. Mk IX. 

I was was thinking it was a PR variant. 

I’m also thinking of a 544 Squadron bird but can’t seem to find markings in 1/32. The conversion from a B to a PR looks pretty easy with what’s in the box. 

Cheers

Collin

Given ML897's previous service with 109 and 105 Sqs before reaching 1409 Flt, I'd say the odds were on its being a B.IX.  The Air Britain serials book specifies the batch ML896-924 just as Mosquito IXs but none of them seems to have gone to any of the more obvious PR squadrons.

Mossie.org shows ML897 as being a B.IX. I'm guessing that the Met aircraft didn't have a requirement for photographic kit. The conversion from PR.IX to B.IX mainly involves filling in camera windows.

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/dh/_DH98 prodn list.txt

regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

I'm also not aware of any information pointing to ML897 as anything other than a B.IX. 

There is this story, which reads as if it has some evidence behind it, and includes a photo of ML897 looking very much like a B.IX. The saga appears to tell of a unit doing mixed bombing and photo recce duties out of Wyton, but it is confusing as it not explicit.

https://greenwritingroom.com/a-very-unlikely-hero/

It first talks about the subject, F.O. John Custance Baker, being at Oakington with 1409 Met Flight, and then "the Squadron" (un-numbered) moving to Wyton in Jan 1944. That might mean 1409 Met FLight which did move to Wyton in Jan  1944, confirmed by this: 

http://www.rafupwood.co.uk/1409metflight.htm 

The 1409 history page also confirms "Flying as single aircraft the missions were codenamed PAMPA (Photorecce And Meteorological Photography Aircraft)."

The Unlikely Hero piece talks about occasional bombing trips. I think it is likely that different airframes were used for the photo recce trips and the bombing trips, with both bomber and PR types assigned  to 1409. The 1409 history page does give an example of PR.XVI NS733 being used by 1409, and that was an aircraft flown by Baker.

And it is clear from this list that 1409 used many examples of the B.IX and B.XVI as well as a number of PR.XVI

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/dh/_DH98 prodn list.txt

There is a longer version of the John Custance Baker history here which I don't have time to read in full now but basically provides his logbook entries and some other material

https://johncustancebaker.wordpress.com/

Edited by Work In Progress

Well when I finally get around to building this bird "in-flight" (the only way to model the true beauty of the Mosquito)...it's going to be as a B. Mk.XI as called out in the instructions.  

Thanks for all your information folks.

Cheers

Collin

Hi Collin,

Despite being painted as a PR aircraft, and being noted as a PR.IX in most photo captions, ML897/D was in fact as others have said above a B.IX.

I did quite a bit of searching into this aircraft when I started a 1:72 model of her a while back, you  might find some useful info on what I could determine about the radio and aerial fit in the build thread I started

Unfortunately I've not got back to finishing this model off, must get round to it soon..

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Bengt said:

ML897 arrived at No. 1409 Flight on 20 July 1943 from Marham. In AIR 29/867, the flights ORB, there is no mention about doing photographic jobs ala 544 Sqn. Only PAMPAS, which was weather recce.

A large percentage of operational flights were indeed PAMPA flights; but 1409 Flight, including ML897, were also actively involved on a regular basis on post strike assessment (with a bit of bombing for good measure)

From F/O Baker's flight records, some of ML897's non PAMPA sorties - ML897 may well have flown other such sorties, but aren't recorded in F/O Baker's logbook

8/4/44       Briggs / Cpl Fitt     Camera test     ML897    50 mins

14 June 1944           Briggs / F/L Hedgeland    Monica test     ML897

18 August 1944       Briggs / Baker      ML897      2335 – 0240

A special trip to bomb and photograph Bremen after an attack by the heavies.The route was to 5410N0545E – Rutenbrock – Bremen – 5400N0800E – 5410N0545E – Base. Bombing was well concentrated, fires were found burning, with smoke up to 25000 ft, and the 4 x 500 lb G.P bombs were dropped at 0105, the photographs being taken at the same time, from 20000 ft.

15 October 1944     Snooper    Briggs / Baker    ML897    0325 – 0550

Duisberg        H + 60            two large concentrations of fires were seen, and nav reported two rather wobbly searchlights!     4 x 500 lb bombs were carried

30 October 1944     Air test and practice photography      Briggs / Cpl Sharples      ML897     45 mins

11 November 1944          Pampa       Briggs / Baker     ML934     1140 – 1500

Westerhever – Itzroe? – Verden – Hengelo – Venraij – The Hague – Base

Note: Pampa from Sumburgh by McLaren and Lymburner enabled the Tirpitz attack which sunk her

13 November 1944        Success!!    Briggs / Baker in ML934 and S/L Bicknell / Cpl Harrison in ML897  – Photos!!

30 November 1944        Snooper       Briggs / Baker        ML897      1105 – 1355     Duisburg        Oboe led attack          4 x 500 lb G.P bombs dropped

From the above we can see ML897 was fitted with cameras and Monica, and could carry a full 4 x 500lb GP bomb load.

Note 1409 flew the PAMPA for the final Tirpitz attack, and ML897 took some of the post strike photo's.

I'd be interested to see what the ORB records for the above flights say.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

A large percentage of operational flights were indeed PAMPA flights; but 1409 Flight, including ML897, were also actively involved on a regular basis on post strike assessment (with a bit of bombing for good measure)

From F/O Baker's flight records, some of ML897's non PAMPA sorties - ML897 may well have flown other such sorties, but aren't recorded in F/O Baker's logbook

8/4/44       Briggs / Cpl Fitt     Camera test     ML897    50 mins

14 June 1944           Briggs / F/L Hedgeland    Monica test     ML897

18 August 1944       Briggs / Baker      ML897      2335 – 0240

A special trip to bomb and photograph Bremen after an attack by the heavies.The route was to 5410N0545E – Rutenbrock – Bremen – 5400N0800E – 5410N0545E – Base. Bombing was well concentrated, fires were found burning, with smoke up to 25000 ft, and the 4 x 500 lb G.P bombs were dropped at 0105, the photographs being taken at the same time, from 20000 ft.

15 October 1944     Snooper    Briggs / Baker    ML897    0325 – 0550

Duisberg        H + 60            two large concentrations of fires were seen, and nav reported two rather wobbly searchlights!     4 x 500 lb bombs were carried

30 October 1944     Air test and practice photography      Briggs / Cpl Sharples      ML897     45 mins

11 November 1944          Pampa       Briggs / Baker     ML934     1140 – 1500

Westerhever – Itzroe? – Verden – Hengelo – Venraij – The Hague – Base

Note: Pampa from Sumburgh by McLaren and Lymburner enabled the Tirpitz attack which sunk her

13 November 1944        Success!!    Briggs / Baker in ML934 and S/L Bicknell / Cpl Harrison in ML897  – Photos!!

30 November 1944        Snooper       Briggs / Baker        ML897      1105 – 1355     Duisburg        Oboe led attack          4 x 500 lb G.P bombs dropped

From the above we can see ML897 was fitted with cameras and Monica, and could carry a full 4 x 500lb GP bomb load.

Note 1409 flew the PAMPA for the final Tirpitz attack, and ML897 took some of the post strike photo's.

I'd be interested to see what the ORB records for the above flights say.

Indeed so! I stand corrected!

No question about it. ML897 carried cameras as well as bombs!

Bengt

• 4 years later...

I have a post in the aviation art section concerning ML 897. Please read that. It is a Mk IX according to the picture. What does the red D mean behind the roundel?

Painting (or print?)  attached.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, Bengt said:

Indeed so! I stand corrected!

No question about it. ML897 carried cameras as well as bombs!

Bengt

Question....which camera fit?  Any idea?  

Collin

On 3/5/2024 at 9:22 PM, Collin said:

Collin

No. No idea about camera fit.

Bengt

On 3/5/2024 at 11:58 PM, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

ML897 B.IX Merlin 72 taken on charge 17 July 1943 to 109 then 105 squadron same day, to 1409 flight 20 July, apart from repairs stayed with the flight until 2 October 1945.

Another Mosquito site http://www.airhistory.org.uk/dh/

On 3/5/2024 at 9:22 PM, Collin said:

Collin

Took a look through the ORB. Nothing about cameras. But this could give a clue what camera installation was used. At least on this sortie.

VT4KdXT.jpg

Bengt

Edited by Bengt