looking for a gloss enamel varnish for use in an airbrush

willsm

Hi,

I have been using the Humbrol stuff in a can but it's quite expensive. I'm looking to move on to a clear coat that I can use in an airbrush.

The coat has to be gloss enamel, since decals will be going over the top of it. I am under the impression that an acrylic based varnish would be a bad idea if I am putting decals over it. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have some Windsor and Newton galleries acrylic but haven't used it as a base varnish through fear of messing it up when putting decals on.

Any recommendations?

I've put decals on top of acrylic varnish with no issues. I've sealed them with acrylic waterbased, acrylic solvent based and lacquer varnish with no issues. I think the important thing is to think about what comes after the sealing. If you'll be using washes you want a varnish that won't react with them so choose accordingly.

Personal preference for varnish: Mr. Color GX100 or GX112 used in combination with Mr. Leveling Thinner. They're lacquer based, dry rock hard and can be used over most paints.

9 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

I've put decals on top of acrylic varnish with no issues. I've sealed them with acrylic waterbased, acrylic solvent based and lacquer varnish with no issues. I think the important thing is to think about what comes after the sealing. If you'll be using washes you want a varnish that won't react with them so choose accordingly.

Personal preference for varnish: Mr. Color GX100 or GX112 used in combination with Mr. Leveling Thinner. They're lacquer based, dry rock hard and can be used over most paints.

That's good news! So after I varnish over the decals, I will be using some oil pints + odourless turpentine to do the panel lines. So the varnish must not react with these. I think I can use an acrylic based varnish for that. That's interesting what you say, maybe I will abandon the enamel varnish. I've been looking at the Mr Top Coat spray cans as an alternative but it does not say in the product description if they are lacquer / enamel / acrylic based.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to take a guess and say you're referring to the B501/502/503 or the B601/602/603. I have the Gunze catalogue in front of me and it says "It is water based and may be painted over both Mr. Color and Aqueous Hobby Color. It may also be painted on slide marks". The last sentence I'm guessing refers to decals.

I haven't used those products so I can't state to their behaviour. 

• 2 weeks later...