601 sqn meteors Malta

JMSmith

Your list, or lists, like this image is a “one moment in time” event.  It is likely that aircraft moved between squadrons and between squadrons and second line units, maintenance units, manufacturers or contractors or services.  That being the case I hypothesise that the squadron took the jets which appeared to have the best serviceability and time before overhaul to Malta for a summer camp or armament practice camp.  The CO would certainly take his own jet.  It would probably have been he who decided that individual letters should run in sequence to present a neat and airmanlike appearance for occasions such as this photo session.

3 minutes ago, JMSmith said:

maybe so, but that don't help to work out the serials on here

Unless you can find a list of numbers made by an enthusiast on that day its unlikely there will be any record. The only slim chance you may have is by looking at the Squadrons Operational Record Book (ORB) in the national archives to see if they listed what aircraft went on the detachment.  

Selwyn

On 04/12/2019 at 10:21, JMSmith said:

can anyone supply serials for these aircraft, i have list but it does not match what i can see.

Nice photo, the stripped tail is my next build.

• Like 1

From 'Cold War Shield Vol 1'....

WK722, the CO's a/c in the foreground, was damaged in a accident during 601's first visit to Malta with Meteor F.8s, and that dates your photo to between 12 and 14 June 1954.  From that it is possible to identify the other Meteors as for which codes are visible, as B WH364, C WH349, D WK739, E WK740, F WK742, G WK744, H WK745, and J WK783.  If the list is complete and the dates are correct (and I see no reason why not during this period), there is only one possibility for the last Meteor in the line-up - K WK789.

You really do need to get a copy of CWS 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

You really do need to get a copy of CWS 1.

Have you tried getting one?  tThey were a limited run., not sure how many copies were printed.  They are like hens teeth and when you are lucky to see one, they run, second hand from about £60 upwards...………..I have all 3 ……...managed to get Volume 2 From Roger Lindsay as he had a spare one available in April

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rayprit said:

Have you tried getting one?  tThey were a limited run., not sure how many copies were printed.  They are like hens teeth and when you are lucky to see one, they run, second hand from about £60 upwards...………..I have all 3 ……...managed to get Volume 2 From Roger Lindsay as he had a spare one available in April

Not wishing to sound too smug but I bought mine when they first came out.  I had known Roger for years and knew the effort that was going in to the series.  I was so pleased for him (and myself!) when he battled through his illness to publish the third volume. If JM Smith can get one for £60 (the original price) it will be a bargain, real value for money and a decision he is unlikely to regret.

I think books are underpriced today, despite extremely small print runs.  Just as a comparison, in 1969 and only after much deliberation, I bought John Rawlings' 'Fighter Squadrons'.  It was £6 and I was earning what today would be close to the 'minimum wage'.  An online inflation calculator tells me that would be £97 nowadays.

CT

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JMSmith said:

Roger past away this year

I’m sorry to hear that. I was fortunate to have Roget sign my copies of Volumes 1 & 2 a while back and really should purchase Volume 3 before they run out. Blue skies Mr. Lindsay, rest in peace. 

Cheers.. Dave