Spitfire Griffon prototype DP845 1/72

If you like the Spitfire and have not read Jeffrey Quill's book "Spitfire", do so. This is my Spitfire Griffon Prototype in the form it was when "raced" against the FW190 and Hawker Typhoon July 22, 1942 at Farnborough. 

It's not in Quills book, but I read somewhere that Supermarine had put a pair of A-wings on DP845 for the occasion, so this is how I made it.

Its the 1/72 Tamiya Spitfire I with a XII nose grafted on. I rather like the look of it with the pointed spinner. Hasegawa IX canopy, Xtracolour enamels, decals from the spares box and DP845 done on inkjet printer paper.

YakScfeo_o.jpg

EaiC3ZY0_o.jpg

2P7QqaFc_o.jpg

btDZkfpN_o.jpg

Aoi67mal_o.jpg

/Finn

Bonus: Here's the FW190. Tamiya 1/72 FW190A3.

vvEfh0tc_o.jpg

• Like 59

Very nice rendition of Jeffrey's 'favorite' Spitfire! The yellow undersurfaces and 'P' really stand out. Did not know it had 'A' wings fitted. Sure is luvverly! 👍 Just curious- which Mk XII nose did you use? Xtrakit?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice rendition of Jeffrey's 'favorite' Spitfire! The yellow undersurfaces and 'P' really stand out. Did not know it had 'A' wings fitted. Sure is luvverly! 👍 Just curious- which Mk XII nose did you use? Xtrakit?

Mike

The nose is a copy of the OOP Paragon.

Wow! That is a beautiful Spitfire! The four bladed prop really suits the Griffon spitfire and this scheme. As great as spits look, it's always the prototypes that steal the show.

I'd love to build one of these! 

17 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Ooh- I have that one, but am saving it to do a proper Mk XII, MB882! Looks like it fits very well on the Tamiya kit.

Mike

It will, but break out your digital calipers just to make sure. Also consider using the Eduard kit as base.  

Edited by FinnAndersen

1 hour ago, FinnAndersen said:

It will, but break out your digital calipers just to make sure. Also consider using the Eduard kit as base.  

That's what I was thinking, or one of my spare Hasegawa Mk VIII's- I can correct the too-short rear fuselage and the Paragon Griffon cowling will take care of the nose! The Eduard VIII's and UX's are so darned nice, I hate to cut one up!

Mike

Great rendition of DP845, at some point it was fitted with 6 dummy cannons (3 per wing) and later

with clipped wings and pointed fin. It was  named Spitfire Mk.XX to distinguish it from other marks.

Wulfman

Bravo! What a convincing portrayal of the granddad of the Mk XIV and (my favourite) the PR Mk XIX!

Excellent and inventive modelling. Together with the Fw 190, it projects a clear image of the frantic see-saw fighter development under the pressure of the war.

Kind regards,

Joachim

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's what I was thinking, or one of my spare Hasegawa Mk VIII's- I can correct the too-short rear fuselage and the Paragon Griffon cowling will take care of the nose! The Eduard VIII's and UX's are so darned nice, I hate to cut one up!

Mike

Stay tuned. You will soon see an Eduard with a Mk V nose as BR114 of Abukir fame. 

I would not worry about the Hasegawa being too short. Even placed next to each other the Hasegawa and Eduard IX look alike. The Eduard, however, wins close up.

Here's the Hasegawa and the Eduard side by side. Which is which?

e689c092-dde2-4fe1-90d1-8076d4ac2aca.JPG

b23630e5-08ee-4df3-b23b-a89f6246ddca.JPG

See?

• Like 4

You have done an amazing job on this. the experimental colour scheme is really nice.

I also have to say that the experimental scheme really suits the FW190, I may have to spend a fiver at Aldi so I can have a crack at one.

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hmmmm-I see what you mean! I'm guessing UP-X is the Hasegawa Mk VIII, mainly because the panel lines are almost invisible, and they are so fine on the Hasegawa VIII's and IX's

Mike

Correct. The Hasegawa builds into a perfectly acceptable model, but the Eduard is better close up. Mind you, the Eduard calls for very carefull assembly, the tolerances are so tight.

Have fun, that's the important thing.

That is SUPERB. Totally love the colour scheme and markings. But what really pulls me in is the fact that, at first glance, it looks like just an ordinary Spitfire. Except there's that ever so slightly weird nose profile and the aluminium prop blades. And suddenly, it's not ordinary at all. Excellent.