Tornado Swing Wing Boots?

Sir T

Any thoughts on how to replicate the 'swing wing boots' (I'm sure they have a more technical name) on a 1/48 Tornado? I was thinking of using foil or some such material - The Airfix kit has a rather nasty looking gap aft of the wing that I'd like to try and sort out - I'm not after Mega-accuracy but it's be good to have something. 

spacer.png

Ah, that could be awkward if you've already closed the fuselage on the wings, but I've had success with this method:

1. Cut out the 'box' in which the wing seal is to fit (the 1/72nd scale Revell Tornado kits already have this feature, ready for an insert.)
  2. Measure out a suitable piece of silver-grey foam rubber to fit. I get the stuff from a local craft shop. Make sure it's not too thin because you will be using some edges of it as mating surfaces.
  3. Score some fine vertical lines into it (look at photos of the real thing to get an idea). I also give the foam rubber a brown wash (Games Workshop's Seraphim Sepia works for me) to make it look a bit mucky or worn.
  4. Cut the foam rubber in half horizontally.
  5. Add some plastic strip to the inside of the fuselage parts level with the edges of the 'box' to provide a larger surface for the foam rubber to sit on when supergluing it into place.
  6. Glue one strip flush with the fuselage above the wing, and the other equally flush below the wing.
  7. Assemble the fuselage-wing-fuselage sandwich.

I find the nice thing about this is that the foam rubber accommodates the wing regardless of the angle of sweep, and also wrinkles a bit, like the real thing.

Any help to you?

Edited by Steve Coombs
Additional info
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, speedy said:

Use filler. Some careful sculpting and when it’s tacky run a blade along to create the groove. 

I used to do that then adapted the idea slightly by filling the largest open area of the gap with a piece of scrap plastic or sprue , rub it smooth then roughly scribe the horizontal groove before filling the gaps above/below the wing  with PVA glue and giving the whole seal a coat of the same , when tacky disturb the surface slightly to give a textured material effect , paint when dry , rub a pencil across to highlight the groove and the texture and then matt finish to give the rather grimy appearance of the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Ah, that could be awkward if you've already closed the fuselage on the wings, but I've had success with this method:

1. Cut out the 'box' in which the wing seal is to fit (the 1/72nd scale Revell Tornado kits already have this feature, ready for an insert.)
  2. Measure out a suitable piece of silver-grey foam rubber to fit. I get the stuff from a local craft shop. Make sure it's not too thin because you will be using some edges of it as mating surfaces.
  3. Score some fine vertical lines into it (look at photos of the real thing to get an idea). I also give the foam rubber a brown wash (Games Workshop's Seraphim Sepia works for me) to make it look a bit mucky or worn.
  4. Cut the foam rubber in half horizontally.
  5. Add some plastic strip to the inside of the fuselage parts level with the edges of the 'box' to provide a larger surface for the foam rubber to sit on when supergluing it into place.
  6. Glue one strip flush with the fuselage above the wing, and the other equally flush below the wing.
  7. Assemble the fuselage-wing-fuselage sandwich.

I find the nice thing about this is that the foam rubber accommodates the wing regardless of the angle of sweep, and also wrinkles a bit, like the real thing.

Any help to you?

That was a great help - thank you. 😄 

I'll have to see if I can find anything suitable and have a play.