New Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer: pylon locations

Seahawk

Some idiot not far from here has closed up the fuselage/inner wing halves of his new Airfix Buccaneer without first drilling the holes for the tanks/inboard pylons (still not decided which I shall go for - which is why they were undrilled).  I shall now have to drill them blind so would some kind soul provide me with coordinates (ie distance in mm inboard and distance forward/aft) for the 3 holes Airfix tell you to drill in Stage 14 relative to either of  the innermost pair of holes in the outer wings?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Seahawk

Suggestion :-

shine a torch into any vacant hole in the assembly whilst in a fairly dark area of the room and the flashed over holes should appear on the outside as slightly blurred areas.  Mark them with a pin or scriber then push said scriber through and Bingo - holes in the correct place.  Had to do it in the past on countless models after "a change of mind" - so - Join The Club

Dennis

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

Suggestion :-

shine a torch into any vacant hole in the assembly whilst in a fairly dark area of the room and the flashed over holes should appear on the outside as slightly blurred areas.  Mark them with a pin or scriber then push said scriber through and Bingo - holes in the correct place.  Had to do it in the past on countless models after "a change of mind" - so - Join The Club

Dennis

"It's  so simple, it's genius" great tip that I could have used on several occasions.

Thanks, Dennis: I can see that working in other circumstances but unfortunately the assembly of this kit is such that I can no longer get any access to the interior of the wing area to shine a torch in so I think I shall have to stick with plan A and go prospecting on the basis of the treasure map coordinates which I'm hoping someone will still provide.

31 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

I have this kit on the bench with the holes drilled, when I have time later I’ll measure and map for you. The instructions show numerous holes marked out for different stores positions, do you know which holes you need to drill out?

Good man!  Many thanks.  The holes of interest to me are the innermost row of 3 holes on the non-folding (grey in Stage 14) part of the wing and their relationship to the innermost row of 2 holes on the folding (green) part.  (There is another row of 2 holes slightly further out on the non-folding bit but they are for a different variant: not interested in them.)

TIA

Edited by Seahawk

Hopefully I have marked this up clearly enough, I kept the fore/aft on the LH side and inboard/outboard positions on the RH side of the instructions. 

On the LH side I measured the hole centres in line from the leading edge, the values use the leading edge as the datum,  i.e the inner pylon holes are 6mm from the L/E, then 13mm from the L/E and finally 21mm from the L/E.

The outer pylon holes are 7.5mm from the L/E and then 16mm from the L/E. 

The RH side uses the wing fold cut line as the datum. The inner pylon holes are 3mm inboard from this line. The outer pylon holes are 9mm outboard from this line. 

All dimensions were measured with a 6” rule and magnifier (my micrometers are at work) so an element of tolerance should be accepted. 

HTH

Rick

9311ADE5-B3DD-476F-AB0D-ADDEA7399ED1

14 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

9311ADE5-B3DD-476F-AB0D-ADDEA7399ED1

Brilliant!  Just what I needed (and more).  Many thanks.  You will be reassured to know that I can't drill to micrometer accuracy.

Given the number of "me toos" I won't delete this thread but have given it a more helpful title for the next naughty boy person who wasn't paying attention.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1