This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

prosser

Airfix Bf 109E-3

Having made my annual purchase from Aldi of Airfix starter kits I find myself with two E-3's (and a Tomahawk).  The colour scheme for the E-3 is a bit dull, but I guess that's because they can't fit that many little paint pots in the box!!  There seems to be no shortage of more colourful schemes having checked out other sets of markings from Hannants.

What takes my fancy is a desert scheme, prompted by the iconic photo of an E over the desert which seems to be in every book I've looked at!! 

So some questions arise which I hope those more knowledgeable about the 109 might be able to answer:

- Were E-3's used in the desert, or had they been superseded by later models?

- Are there any obvious external differences between the E-3 and E-4/E-7??

- I've got a drawing of an E4/B in desert camo, but with no tropical filter - is this correct?

- I've tried looking on Hannants website, but there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket tropical filter available?? Are there any other sources??

Any help gratefully received....

Thanks

Martyn

The one external difference that occurs to me is the E-3 having a rounded top to the hood with thinner framing, while the E-4/7 had the flat-topped hood with much heavier framing. IIRC the E in that famous photo had the flat hood. I'm sure there are others but less-visible.  As I recall, the hoods and rear glass sections were interchangeable, so check your sources.

For that air filter, you might check the Ultracast.ca website. They stock more brands of resin bits than any other seller I'm aware of.

Edited by Rolls-Royce

Hello Martyn

Canopy, as Rolls-Royce said, and ventral drop tank/bomb rack. Also, by early 1941 Emils also received a spinner cap or at least a plug to cover exit hole for intended but never installed 20-mm cannon, firing through propeller axis. While I would not rule out some replacement aircraft arrived in North Africa theatre without tropical filters, these were usually quickly retrofitted.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7Trop-8.JG27-Black-

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7Trop-1.JG27-White-

I assume mentioned iconic photo is probably either E-7/trop Black 8 or a pair of Emils (White 3 and White 8), all in RLM 79/78/80 scheme. I believe all three aircraft were without drop tank racks. Alternative sources for Bf 109 E tropical filters would be the old Matchbox kit or the ICM kit, which I believe also contains three different spinners and both E-3 and E-4 canopies. I am not familiar with Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109 E but, given that ICM kit had been ˝inspired˝ by Tamiya, one may find additional parts there, too. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
photos added

JG 26 sent their 7th Staffel (red heart emblem) to Libya around late May 1941.  Their E-7's were not equipped with sand filters, so the aircraft lasted only a couple months.  I don't believe they  bothered repainting with desert paints during their short time there.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7B-7.JG27-White-13-

It seems thereafter, all other units sent to Africa were (or very quickly)  equipped with sand filters.  I/JG 27 was another unit that arrived in European scheme, but would eventually repaint in desert colours.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG27.I-MTO.html

regards,

Jack

12 hours ago, prosser said:

Having made my annual purchase from Aldi of Airfix starter kits I find myself with two E-3's (and a Tomahawk).  The colour scheme for the E-3 is a bit dull, but I guess that's because they can't fit that many little paint pots in the box!!  There seems to be no shortage of more colourful schemes having checked out other sets of markings from Hannants.

What takes my fancy is a desert scheme, prompted by the iconic photo of an E over the desert which seems to be in every book I've looked at!! 

So some questions arise which I hope those more knowledgeable about the 109 might be able to answer:

- Were E-3's used in the desert, or had they been superseded by later models?

- Are there any obvious external differences between the E-3 and E-4/E-7??

- I've got a drawing of an E4/B in desert camo, but with no tropical filter - is this correct?

- I've tried looking on Hannants website, but there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket tropical filter available?? Are there any other sources??

Any help gratefully received....

Thanks

Martyn

Hobbyboss do an E4/7 trop in their easybuild range with those markings. The sprues come with both the standard intake and the trop filter among other things including spinner.  Decals are good and you get both Black 8 and white 3. A bit of care and attention will result in a nice rendition. Dont know about UK but here in Aus they go for under $10au.  HTH John H.

Hi Martyn
HobbyBoss are the cheapest option, selling for £6.25. There are 2 tropical versions:-

HB 80254 Bf-109 E-4/ E-7

HB 80261 Bf-109 E-4.

Both have decals for the “spotty “ camouflage scheme. Both kits are virtually identical 

so I don’t know why they bothered. 

Regards Wulfman